Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cantaloupe
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's car makes some weird noises from time to time. Anywho, I've been having this issue for awhile, and since I recently removed my coilovers and the noise is still present, I thought I'd see what you guys can come up with. My right front makes a sort of clunking sound when I'm on the freeway. Only makes the sound at around 50mph +. Only comes from the right front, and it doesn't vary with speed. Thought it was something to do with the coils, but like I said, I'm on OE suspension now and it makes the same noise. Does it on both sets of wheels I have. According to my mechanic, my wheel bearings are fine, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. If you have any idea of what it could be, shout it out. I don't like my car sounding like it's gonna fall apart if I go on the highway. Thanks

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
Check the nut under the rubber cap on the strut tower. If it will turn when you try it with a socket, it's loosened. The only way you can get them snugged easily is with an air impact. I use a 3/8" drive butterfly impact that works fine. It doesn't take much.

·
Cantaloupe
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have an impact, but I'll take a look when I get home tonight. If that's it, thanks!

---------- Post added 11-20-2013 at 10:50 PM ----------

Check the nut under the rubber cap on the strut tower. If it will turn when you try it with a socket, it's loosened. The only way you can get them snugged easily is with an air impact. I use a 3/8" drive butterfly impact that works fine. It doesn't take much.
^^^ what he said. Every time I have had a clunk in my suspension its been that damn nut
You're talking about the top hat nut right? Seems kinda weird that they'd both be loose on the same side on both my coils and the OE struts. Don't have time to get to it tonight unfortunately

·
Cantaloupe
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next step is to check your bushings. What's the noise sound like? Metal on metal?
To me it doesn't sound like metal on metal but I could be wrong. Going to try that top hat nut tomorrow (hopefully). Tie rods and sway bar bushings have been replaced though

·
Cantaloupe
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I haven't had time/room to get to my stock strut, I checked my coils just for grins. Couldn't turn either one of em with a ratchet, so I feel like maybe something else is wrong?

·
Shooting for 100whp
472 Posts
Did you make sure the strut itself wasn't turning when you checked your coils? Even the slightest bit of separation will cause an annoying clunk. Also check to see if there is still a bushing between the top hat, and the top spring retainer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts