Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think the weakest part of the xB is?

i think its either:

the rear bumper because when i kinda sat on the rear bumper, it made a little "crack" sound, that scared me because i thought i broke something.

or

the trunk when closing because when i was closing it, i tried to close it without slaming it, so the only way i can do it is grab the license plate light, but i have a feeling that it is going to break off someday.

what you guys think?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I have one rear hatch shock that makes a thud sound when the gate gets about half way down. Think it's binding somehow. This was going on before the extra weight of the tail light conversion.

I hate the way the windows rattle around when you shut the doors with the windows down.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, I'm pretty tough on vehicles and the only thing I've broken so far is the driver's door jamb switch.

Everything else, though it may make some disconcerting sounds at times has held up just fine to my punishment.

-Alex

·
Registered
354 Posts
i think the sheet metal outside.. it dents real easily. i get small dimples easy but the pop out easy too. that and the transmission.. it works good and does it job but i would like another gear so not doing 4000 rpms in fifth gear at 80 mph.. but other than that everything seems good to me.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Resolve said:
i think the sheet metal outside.. it dents real easily. i get small dimples easy but the pop out easy too. that and the transmission.. it works good and does it job but i would like another gear so not doing 4000 rpms in fifth gear at 80 mph.. but other than that everything seems good to me.
Yeah, the sheet metal seems thin. The paint could be better. Had a very minor tap on the rear bumper from an inattentive driver. :mad: No major damage, but the paint cracked! Mechanically, I think it's great! :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I agree with the rattling of the windows and the weak bumper. I also think the "get up and go" is pretty weak, but then again I was driving a Spyder GST with turbo before the xB.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I cant say anything about rattling windows my whole xb rattles:D but that is because of another reason.. and soon be more rattling:D (check audio mods if you want to know why)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The only 'weakness' in the xB design that worrys me are the front and rear bumpers, since in metropolitan areas so many people seem to "park by ear" - when they hear/feel the impact they know they have gotten close enough to the car in front or back of them.

So far I've been lucky, but if I have to parallel park on a city street I will expect damage, at least to the rather delicate finish.

If nothing else, a 'rubber bump strip' on each might have helped to 'strengthen' this 'design weakness.'

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
For me, its the rear beam axle. It's offset, and there is no adjustability.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
squirrel said:
For me, its the rear beam axle. It's offset, and there is no adjustability.
Why is that? I didn't notice it 'til I dropped my box! Most people can't tell the diff, but I sure can!! I've seen some boxes where you can really tell, especially with rims that have a higher offset.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Dion, I tend to mod the suspension first since I don't like dealing w/ engines and all of the smog stuff that is required now. So if I can get a car to corner like its on rails, then its that much more fun to drive and you don't have to worry about seeking out those who can do the smog cert stuff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i thing the sheet metal is the only thing that seems a little weak to me cuz i have seen so dent from some pretty lite incidents

·
Registered
219 Posts
Let's face it - everything on te xB is lightweight and sucepctible to dents and cracks... that's why the relative reasonable price. I and a few other owners I know have had windshield cracks and chips due to the almost vertical windshield. But, as I unfortunately found out the hard way as my wife's xB was rear-ended and I had an idiot cut in front of me taking part of my bumper with him, the bumpers have nothing behind them such as a foam block to absorb impact. They crack or shatter! It's just plastic bolted to the chasis and yes, parking in an urban area like NYC will cause damage to the bumper.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
YellowSubxB said:
Let's face it - everything on te xB is lightweight and susepctible to dents and cracks... that's why the relative reasonable price. I and a few other owners I know have had windshield cracks and chips due to the almost vertical windshield. But, as I unfortunately found out the hard way as my wife's xB was rear-ended and I had an indot cut in front of me taking part of my bumper with him, the bumpers have nothing behind them such as a foam block to absorb impact. They crack or shatter! It's just plastic bolted to the chasis and yes, parking in an urban area like NYC will cause damage to the bumper.
Thanks for that dose of reality! Very well said. :cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
YellowSubxB said:
Let's face it - everything on te xB is lightweight and susepctible to dents and cracks... that's why the relative reasonable price. I and a few other owners I know have had windshield cracks and chips due to the almost vertical windshield. But, as I unfortunately found out the hard way as my wife's xB was rear-ended and I had an indot cut in front of me taking part of my bumper with him, the bumpers have nothing behind them such as a foam block to absorb impact. They crack or shatter! It's just plastic bolted to the chasis and yes, parking in an urban area like NYC will cause damage to the bumper.
your right.. but for the price of the vehicle it does have some pretty good quality parts.. so cant complain..

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
If you have a problem with anything on the xB why don't you fix it yourself? I mean you do all this other stuff too it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
caden_stargate said:
If you have a problem with anything on the xB why don't you fix it yourself? I mean you do all this other stuff too it.
as far as the little dimples i get in the sheet metal i do fix if i see the b/c just little dimples and they pop out but the transmission gearing that a different story.. i dont want to spend money for something that really is not that big of a deal.. i rather spend my money on finish my sysem and upgrading my electrical to help run my system..

besides.. most problems arent anything major or even that big of a deal. but thats my opinion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Padanky said:
I hate the way the windows rattle around when you shut the doors with the windows down.
I hate living in Seattle and not being able to roll down my windows without getting all wet :(

I need to Dynamat my doors cause I hate the tinny sound when I shut my doors it's sooo annoying!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, here's what happened to me just now. I heard a little scraping noise in back, and I got out and looked. And the little bracket that goes from the rear bumper to the body, right above the exhaust, was just hanging from the bumper. It looked like it had popped loose from the bolt that holds it on. The nut is still there. It's raining right now, or I'd go see what I need to do. But my xB is only two months old. How annoying!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.