Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to the 100K mile warranty I purchased the toyota platimum serive agreement as well just to be safe. Now I get the agreement in the mail with an option to cancel.
i now have 13,000 miles on my rig. anyone out there had any problems not caused by their own mods that total more than 1500.00 -
Im not sure if i want to keep the additional coverage for "just in case" - so far everything is great no problems, no lights, nothing. just like a new car.

so if anyone out there ended up thinking - they would have liked the additional warranty - after something blew - Id like to hear about it. strange I know that I am asking for your Xb service or breakdown stories / complaints that happened before 100k miles. but I am

·
Registered
60 Posts
keep in mind edub that even if you do cancel that warranty, if you have a loan on it the refund will more than likely be put back on your loan.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a loan on it but I paid almost 50% cash so my loan is not very big. so if they put it back into my loan i would probably have lower payments

·
Registered
60 Posts
thats really cool that you could do that! My suggestion is talk with your finance co. because in order to lower your payments you will have to refinance, otherwise it may just show up as a principal payment which will keep your payments the same except you will pay off early which is cool too! just make sure to call them!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah I will call the Finance people - It seems like these cars are turning outpretty good - with not many warranty issues. except for that one guy I read on here that blew up his engine - and his warranty covered it !! I think but am not sure the warranty covering an engine blowing up is just the stock Toyo. warranty and I dont need this suppliment

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
As any vehicle gets older, though, the rate of failure goes up. That Platinum coverage is to cover the four years and 64K miles after the original warranty gives up - the time period when you can expect more things to fail based on the history of cars in general.

It's a gamble: Toyota Financial Services (that's who puts out the policy) is betting the car won't have problems, you are betting it will. The winner is the one who guesses right. :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
From my understanding, you have to keep all regular routine maintenance on the car to honor the extended warranty. They can void the warranty if they feel you have not kept the car in good running condiction by using their services. Might want to read the fine print.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The maintenance recommendations (see your booklet) must be followed, true, but they do NOT have to be done by a dealer so long as you have the records (keep receipts) for all preventive and repair services.

Tomas said:
If required preventive maintenance is not done, any problems that result for that 'failure to perform' are no longer covered by warranty.

Federal law (Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act) insists that so long as the required work is done correctly, and in a timely manner, it is not necessary that the dealership or a professional do it.

The best way to assure coverage is not argued is to maintain appropriate records. I used to have a business size envelope for each car. On the outside was the VIN, license number, and a running record showing when and what maintenance was done (date, mileage, description). Inside were the receipts for oil, filters, etc. Each 'preventive maintenance' entry on the outside of that envelope was a simple one-line entry.

That envelope stayed in the glove box, even when I sold or traded the car.

Can't think of an easier way to do it.

Tom
For bigger jobs that aren't just the usual oil change, spark plugs, antifreeze, etc. I would grab another envelope just for that job, put all receipts and other documentation in the envelope and put the VIN, license, date and a brief discription of what was done (and by who) on the outside.

I tried to keep it simple and easy. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read the fine print - why it seemed like such a pain in the ass, it should be just covered anyways - hell I paid enough for it. But I still have all 3 of the oil changes Scion gives for free left. I suppose in the long run it is better to have more protection than not enough - all the warranty crap is just so confusing - and I probably voided the half of it when I Put my intake/ exhaust system on - arghhhhhhhh - ---- .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.