Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my XB but the driver's seat is torture. In an attempt to make it more comfortable I bought and installed an "ExtendMySeat" kit for it.
A few miles after following the instructions, which include moving "The electronic sensor", the car became un-drivable.
I had to flat bed the car to Scion for repairs.
I wrote to EMS to complain and let them know that the instructions were wrong about moving what turned out to be the YAW rate sensor per their instructions.

Basically their response was:
Tough beans. If you were dumb enough to buy our product and follow our instructions you are on your own.

Below is my letter and their response.

"I have a 2013 Scion XB 10 edition, with 4k miles, that I purchased an Extend Seat product for. Instruction 5-6 about moving the sensor did not work for me. It cost me $856.00 to find out that the sensor on mine is for Yaw Rate control of the stability management system and cannot be moved to the position in the instructions. The car was completely uncontrollable when turning above ~10MPH. I had to have it flat-beaded to the dealer where it took ~14 hours of diagnostics @ $118 per to find & fix the problem. After some discussion the $1,600 bill was cut to $856. I feel like you should have some $kin in this also as I was following your directions.
Not the most satisfied customer,
Frank Baker"

Their response:
"We are very sorry for the mishap however as with any aftermarket autocrats company, we do not take any liability or risk. We have responded to your email prior to this and the answer remains the same.

This is always do at your own risk as with any aftermarket installation with any manufacturer.

We are very sorry for your loss after the installation however we can not take any liability."

So if you try the ExtendMySeat product do what you can to mount it without moving the sensor.

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Shame them on Facebook and Twitter.

A friend did that to Sears, posting stuff like, "Sears, how come your customer service people claim that my new stove and oven turning on by themselves are considered 'normal function' for your appliances?" After a week or so of daily variations on this theme, they replaced his gear. He then thanked them on those same outlets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably will try something like that.
I don't know how popular the Extend seat is. Just wanted to get the incompatibility of the instructions, and right front bracket and sensor are, out to the XB community.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,557 Posts
Yeah, this has come up once before that I know of. The position they want the yaw sensor placed in does not work as it almost completely reverses the module. There is no way this should have taken any where near 14 hours for the dealer to figure it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why EMS doesn't change the front brackets to fit over the Yaw module enclosure. It would only take a 1/2" height change on the two front brackets.

My car was in the dealer 3 days they still hadn't figured it out. It was only when I started to look on line for stability control that I saw a pic of the Yaw module. That was when I realized that the "electronic module" that EMS instructions had me move was the Yaw sensor.

I went down with the module brackets, took the EMS kit off, remounted the module, and had dealer hook up the computer for reset/check.

By the way the email they mention responding to wasn't from me. Must have been one of the other saps. That was the first time I wrote to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me also. I'm pretty pissed. I'm gonna send it back. I absolutely hate that console. Its so in the way. I'm 6' 1".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.