Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did this story on the air and thought you would appreciate it.

Volkswagen placed billboards in Hispanic communities in Miami, Los Angeles and New York to advertise it's new 2006 GTI. The billboard shows the car with the slogan "Turbo Cajones." Many spanish speaking people find this offensive because cajones is the spanish word for testes.

After some complaints VW has pulled the billboards and replaced them with new ones using the slogans "Kick a little gracias" and "Here, today, gone tamale."

I guess they didn't learn too much from the first round of complaints.

(this is my humor, not intended to offend anyone)

Why don't they just go all the way and use slogans like "A powerful way to haul your leaf blower" or "The car's so hot you'll be fighting over who gets to seal the hubcaps". Maybe they could just seal the deal with "enough room for you and 20 bags of oranges", "outruns the border patorl with ease."

Thank you, I'm here all week. Is this thing on? Hello? It's 7:15 AM.

:D

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
"extremely fast yet safe enough to drive around your 16 year old daughter and her 3 month old son"
"comes equipped with an anit-theft system for the long days it sits unattended in the home depot parking lot!"
just one comment here. i am 1/4 mexican so i am in no way being racist. man surfcitylocal if we don't get our asses kicked for this we are sure lucky!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yellow_sub said:
"extremely fast yet safe enough to drive around your 16 year old daughter and her 3 month old son"
"comes equipped with an anit-theft system for the long days it sits unattended in the home depot parking lot!"
just one comment here. i am 1/4 mexican so i am in no way being racist. man surfcitylocal if we don't get our asses kicked for this we are sure lucky!
I've got a large Hispanic section in my listening audience, if I can get away with it on the radio we should be able to pull it off here. :eek:

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
I've got a large Hispanic section in my listening audience, if I can get away with it on the radio we should be able to pull it off here. :eek:
true plus carlos mencia gets away with much worse on his show!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Wow, that was kinda lame for them to place that kind of advertising up. My wife is Mexican, and I know she would have been offended. We've got a nice sized Hispanic population here in Chula Vista, but I don't recall seeing either billboard around town. Did they offer any type of apology?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DTRAIN619 said:
Wow, that was kinda lame for them to place that kind of advertising up. My wife is Mexican, and I know she would have been offended. We've got a nice sized Hispanic population here in Chula Vista, but I don't recall seeing either billboard around town. Did they offer any type of apology?
No apology from VW. They just pulled the billboards and replaced them. Here is the original story: http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/2006/03/20/vw_pulls_offensive_billboards_a/index.php

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I like this part:

"English speakers associate a lighthearted translation of "guts" to the word "cajones" - which means testicles in Spanish."

So, tell me again why the advertising was in the Hispanic community instead of where the "Lighthearted English speakers" live?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DTRAIN619 said:
I like this part:

"English speakers associate a lighthearted translation of "guts" to the word "cajones" - which means testicles in Spanish."

So, tell me again why the advertising was in the Hispanic community instead of where the "Lighthearted English speakers" live?
Very nice! I would have used that one on the show if i had thought of it!

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
I dunno, but those new VW commercials on TV are hil-ari-ous :D :D

"vhat does dis ting do? sucks air?"

"it certanly sucks alvright"

lmao!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Dion do you know if Erine is off today i tryed both his phones no responce he's prob still cursing me for the rain as he cleans the rust off his rotors w/ wd40 cold wet but still nice time spent with the SD peeps;)

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
ric2542 said:
Dion do you know if Erine is off today i tryed both his phones no responce he's prob still cursing me for the rain as he cleans the rust off his rotors w/ wd40 cold wet but still nice time spent with the SD peeps;)
Nope, not sure.

Hey Mark, any call-in responses from your listeners and if so, care to share?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DTRAIN619 said:
Nope, not sure.

Hey Mark, any call-in responses from your listeners and if so, care to share?
I was already off the air when we joked about that story.

Just as a side note. The station I work for has been telling us we would be streaming on the web for the past year. I see the DSL modem and connections are in the studio now, just waiting for the CPU to be installed. I have had more than a few people on this site who wanted to hear the show, soon they will be able to listen on the web. I'll post up when it's ready to go. Then if you guys have input we can do it immediately on the air!

:D Good times

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
surfcitylocal said:

Just as a side note. The station I work for has been telling us we would be streaming on the web for the past year. I see the DSL modem and connections are in the studio now, just waiting for the CPU to be installed. I have had more than a few people on this site who wanted to hear the show, soon they will be able to listen on the web. I'll post up when it's ready to go. Then if you guys have input we can do it immediately on the air!

Nice! I'll be waiting for the update!! This is gonna be so cool.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
surfcitylocal said:

Is your station affiliated with KROQ? It took forever for them to finally get streaming on the net. The powers that be thought there was no market for it...lol

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
boxd_up_2 said:
Is your station affiliated with KROQ? It took forever for them to finally get streaming on the net. The powers that be thought there was no market for it...lol
No not associated with KROQ. There actually isn't a "market" for the internet side of radio. You can't get ratings on the internet. It is a way to get money from advertisers since they get more coverage with it. The last station I worked at that had internet streaming also had a studio cam, thankfully we wont' have one of those here. Funny what you'll do on camera when you forget it's there. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.