Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to have minor steering wheel vibrations with bigger tires? I was concerned cuz I was on the freeway for the first time since getting them and was going 65, noticed some steering wheel vibrations. Just wanted to know if that's normal due to the tires being bigger or do I need to have them balanced?

(sorry if this is in the wrong section, was unsure where to ask this question).

Thanks, from the mechanically challenged doll!:p

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
admin said:
how much steering wheel vibration ? just more than normal ?
It jiggles now, but before I didn't notice it.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Sounds like you may need an alignment. It may be off slightly due to the new track of the 19s.

·
Registered
354 Posts
it may be alignment or one of the tires could be out of round.. can take to tire shop and have them check to see if tire is out of round..

if it is out of round could cause vibrations at some speeds and not at others.. i had a tire like that on my frontier once. anything below 50 or 55 didnt notice vibration then form about 55 to 60 could feel a little vibration then around 65 was really bad then above 70 was just a little vibration again.. took it to shop i got tires and he said it was out of round and the replaced tire for free.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice wheels Doll!!!!!!!! I think you're the first girl I know w/ a box thats dippin on 19's. Just out of curiosty, where are the blue trim rings to go w/ the TC evo's. I think they would look sweet w/ the color scheme you got ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The first thing I would check is to make sure you have hubcentric rings with those wheels. Second would be to get the wheels/tires balanced. Despite what has been said, alignment issues DO NOT cause vibrations.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys! I'm gonna have my fiance rotate them and see how that is (he's out of town this week so I have to wait until he gets back). I will see if that is the problem, but maybe it's just me cuz I've never had big tires before except for 17's on my Spyder GS-T. I know I am sacrificing a smooth ride for looks, but that doesn't bother me too much.

**undertheradar, what are hubcentric rings? This is all new to me (I am the mechanically challenged one ;) ) and I am trying to learn all this so I can understand it and be able to explain it to others. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BOXlover11 said:
Nice wheels Doll!!!!!!!! I think you're the first girl I know w/ a box thats dippin on 19's. Just out of curiosty, where are the blue trim rings to go w/ the TC evo's. I think they would look sweet w/ the color scheme you got ;)
I do have the blue trim, but the blue trim is brighter than what I'm running. I think we will have them beaded? Is that the right term?

Thanks for the compliment!;)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hubbard said:
That blue dash kit is cool, too. Can you get them from Scion? are they hard to put in?
Actually I got the vinyl dash kit from www.rvinyl.com, they have multiple colors and it costs around $25 (that's tax included). I did it myself, you just need a lot of patience.;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hubcentric rings are plastic or metal rings that go in the inside hub hole of the rims you have to make up the difference from the hub size on the xB. Many wheels come with them, but my Konigs did not. I had to buy them from Americas Tire Co. $15 for all 4.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
bluebb05 said:
hey tammie did you get an alignment when you go bigger it may throw off the alignment!!!
Well, according to "undertheradar":

undertheradar said:
The first thing I would check is to make sure you have hubcentric rings with those wheels. Second would be to get the wheels/tires balanced. Despite what has been said, alignment issues DO NOT cause vibrations.

From my personal experience, I had to get an alignment because of the differing offfsets from the wheels I had, to the ones that were put on. And I already have hubcentric rings on also.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
squirrel said:
From my personal experience, I had to get an alignment because of the differing offfsets from the wheels I had, to the ones that were put on. And I already have hubcentric rings on also.
Squirrel, you think I should get an alignment?

·
Registered
58 Posts
People in the know will use hubcentric rings with aftermarket wheels. It's worth the nominal costs to make sure the wheels go on correctly. With care, wheels can be run without them, but IMO, it's not worth the possibility of something not lining up right and causing trouble. There's a reason that carmakers match the hub and the centerbore. If I was going to pay the money for an alignment, it seems like a good idea to know the tires will be mounted the same down the road.

xBs have a 54.1mm hub. You need to find out the centerbore on your wheels and get HCRs that are 54.1 to <insert centerbore here>.

As an example, here's my wheel placed on the studs before they put the HCR's on. Notice the difference in the hole to the hub. I don't want to leave that up to the lugnuts to shove it into place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
squirrel said:

Ypu should get an alignment after doing any suspension work, but not just from changing wheels and tires. I've never seen an alignment issues cause vibrations, only balance issues. Alignemnt problems will cause bad tracking and tire wear.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
undertheradar said:
Ypu should get an alignment after doing any suspension work, but not just from changing wheels and tires. I've never seen an alignment issues cause vibrations, only balance issues. Alignemnt problems will cause bad tracking and tire wear.
Yes, everyone SHOULD get an alignemnt after ANY suspension work.

I have said that many times on another site.

BUT you will have tracking issues when you change to diffferent width tires and/or wheels. I know I have when I changed them. The alignment was checked before AND after the wheels were changed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
squirrel said:
BUT you will have tracking issues when you change to diffferent width tires and/or wheels. I know I have when I changed them. The alignment was checked before AND after the wheels were changed.
lol, thats what I meant to say. :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After driving it more (of course not going over 70mph) I noticed a decrease in the jiggling of the wheel. Maybe it was just me not being use to the tires. My fiance will be driving it next week to work so he can test it out, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts