Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having this weird vibrating, grinding type noise coming from the driver side wheel area ever since I got in an accident a few months ago. After the body shop fixed up the car it still made this noise. Took it to the dealership and had the insurance adjuster look at it with the service techs.

After taking the car to dealership 6 times they still cant figure out whats wrong with the car. So they tell me they're gonna replace the front axle and strut mounts. I guess they're hoping that'll fix the problem. Its being covered by the warranty so i don't have to worry about paying for anything.

Any one have any ideas what this could be or have a simliar problem?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't you love the incompetence of techs out there. Can't believe they can't figure it out. It sounds like something is bent and the axle would make sense. My husband is a master tech at a body shop and suspension takes a hit in these accidents. The slightest misalignment can cause all kinds of problems like you describe. Hope you get it fixed right, oh and make sure they show you the alignment sheet out of there machine when it is done so you can see that it is right. They should be happy to show you if they are not trying to hide anything.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
How about the bearings? Thats what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just for the sake of jarring my memory I have heard something similar on another xB. Maybe your answer, try looking at the backing plate on the brake.

Saw a car( xb is there any other haha) had a noise vibration,scraping on turns and such.Turned out to be the plate being bent, techs at the stealership couldn't find it either. we pulled the wheel and jiggled everything till we found the bent plate.

Having been in an accident could be the culprit.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yup I'd say either wheel bearing or cv joint bearing in the front axle. but Ive seen the bent backing plate scrape the rotor too thats pretty loud.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the dealership took it apart, the body shop took it apart, the insurance people took it apart and they said it has nothing to do with the suspension. i'll mention the backing plate to the tech though thats a new one. originally they tried to blame the tein h techs then said its an engine mount now they're not sure.

·
Registered
869 Posts
is the sound there when you are stoped and turn the wheel or only when the car is in motion?......usally when the CV joints go bad it will make a clunking noise or a Clunk,clunk,clunk......type noise from the front when you go around a corner and give it gas.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it makes the sound when i go into left turns. it wont make the sound if i go slow into the turns without pressing on the gas pedal but if i tap the gas at low speed it will make the noise. at speeds greater than 15 mph if i go into a turn it will make that sound regardless if i'm giving it gas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know this might sound stupid, but have you checked the heat shields? I had a rattle coming from the same place after the dealer replaced my tranny and it turns out that it was just a heat shield. Just an idea...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they say they checked every possible spot it could have come from. after they replaced the front axle and strut assembly it still made the noise. so now they want to keep the car longer and talk with scion about it. they gave me an 07 camry loaner till they can figure something out.

btw i hate the camry even more now was hoping to get a yaris, xa or tc or something, whatever i just need something to get me from point a to point b.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like how the new camary looks. but yea it dont cut it when your trying to get from point x to point B.....
hope they get your ride straightend out.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine did this one night after I ran over a tree branch in the road. All I did was reached in and bent the rotor backplate back and it went away.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ok they finally found out what it was it was the rear motor mount weird thing is they said that the bolt had rusted very badly and i got my car in january

something else doesnt feel right about the car now
cant put my finger on it but it doesnt feel the same
the engine sounds different i mean nothing someone else would notice its so subtle i'm the only one who notices it.

i really wish i knew someone else with an xb so i could have some comparison feedback

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.