Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to install an air horn that works off of a vacuum source from the engine. I don't know much about newer engines with all these computers and what not, so I was curious on how they would react to tapping into a vacuum source. My thinking would be that when using the horn it would change the compression ratings and the computer would compensate for it, but since the horn would only be used for very short durations it shouldn't casue any problems.

Would someone with more experience comment on this, and where do you think is a good vacuum source to tap into on the xb engine?

Here's the horn I want to install:

Old School Hollywood Wolf Whistle:D I've heard of them being used on PT cruisers with no problem.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumps!!! Someones gotta have some input. RTon20's.......ted....anyone else who knows what they're talking about??

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The only horns I have really dealt with are train and truck horns. And those are usually run off the supply air for air suspension. I know that suicidedoors.com sells a kit with everything you need to run just a train horn. Problem is that it sells for close to $500.

Or you could piece your own system together going to places like truck supply stores, and wrecking yards. We were doing it out here in the central valley long before any of the aftermarket shops started selling all of that stuff. I guess that is what happens when half the guys building trucks grew up on dairys and the other half grew up washing their dad's big rig.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heheh...got the trucker influence on ya. I bet those horns would scare the crap out of people if they heard them coming out of an xb! Not really looking to add a horn, but want some novely sounds on my car. A lot of the old lowrider guys I know have these on their cars, and they hook up to a vacuum source on the manifold. Not just sure how that would react on an xb engine though. Wolo makes electronic versions, but they don't sound as good. Guess I'll keep searching. Thanks for replying

·
Registered
368 Posts
if your really still looking for help, here goes my take on it....

if your going to add anything that works off of vaccum, go to your local auto dismantelers and find an older car, like a Charger,Lincoln,Plymouth ( Fury III's use them for the push button trans)to name a few, and salvage the vaccum canister that runs things like the headlight covers,ram air scoops ( it will look like a coffee can ) and run a line from the brake booster ( easiest place to find a line) to the canister and then to your accessory. This will give you a storage can for the vaccum so you don't drop your manifold vaccum to the point of stalling when you use it.

This is how I hooked up accessories that need a vaccum source.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
err.. you could get a vaccum block that parts the hose from your power brake booster and has nipples for installing things just for vaccum like boost guages and uhm... air horns!?! hope that helps somewhat.

^^ same theory different part. i should really read these threads before posting.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Frog Box: So you've hooked vacuum accesories to your box? Have you ran into problems with leaks/loss of vacuum in your booster due to tapping into it, and what did you use to split the line to the canister from the booster?

Wooster: I think Golden Eagle makes a Universal vacuum block. Might be worth looking into. If I remember correctly they're not to bulky, and should bolt cleanly agains the firewall. Would you also suggest going to a cannister from the block? I'm exactly sure on how the block works. I know it'll split lines to run various vacuum accesories, but is it also a storage for vaccum sources?

Thanks for the ideas guys!! I'll definaely look into both methods.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Would you also suggest going to a cannister from the block? I'm exactly sure on how the block works. I know it'll split lines to run various vacuum accesories, but is it also a storage for vaccum sources?

Thanks for the ideas guys!! I'll definaely look into both methods.
its just a splitter with accesory attatchment points. theres no storage of vaccum in the block. you would have to run a vac can to store the vacuum. but you booster should enough vac to run everything suffeciently. unless of course you have like 19 horns and you break checking 12 people while blasting your horns hitting your air bags eating a cheese burger. then you might run a little shy. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.