Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
wow tell your UPS man to start coming around my house if he giving sh!t like that out!!!.

looks good man.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Excellent intake man! Did you notice better highway merging speed? Better high RPM throttle response? I know I did.

BTW, I live in a country-ish place myself, your best bet is to go to a DIY spray wash and use the spot-free low pressure wash. Make sure your car is OFF. Because of all the nicely shielded wires, you should be ok, and it'll drip a lot of the dirt out of the bay.

Oh, as for that silicone hose that came with the kit, you CAN shorten it and it'll take most of that kink out. Mine was the same way, trust me. I dunno if you notice anything with it, but it'll look a lot cleaner. I say take 1/2 inch off at a time (shapr scissors work great) until you're happy with how it looks.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Nice! Cold Air Induction sucks!!!!!

Thanks, I'm here all week. Try the waitress, tip the veal. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow - it looks complicated and twisty - mine just goes in a straight line into the area behind the Fog Lights. -

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
sorry to say, but that's such a waste of money.

so many bends, such a long pipe.

should've gone with the injen is2100 intake, or any other short ram.

CAI's are a waste with our cars, given that SRI's are already by the headlight, far away from any heat.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
its all mandrel bent, so it has good flow, but its just like drinking through a longer straw. im not a fan, but they look neet on other cars. maybe if the xb put our more base power it might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
mandrel bent or whatever, that's not the point.

bends = restriction

and the fact that the short ram functions as a cold air on our cars, just without the bends or the long tube means that you're just paying for the lack of throttle response and a chance of sucking in water with it being lower to the ground.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yah I noticed that too when I was putting my headerrs on that the air couldnt be that much colder. A Short ram would work just as good and not "rattle" as mine did on start up and bad shifts.
That rattle cost me 60 bucks - at a pro shop to fix - cuz i couldnt figure out where it was coming from. Guess the good thing was it wasnt something mechanical that could have been much worse.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Adding to hayalex6 comment, the "cold air" designs for the xB also introduce more heat than the short rams. Heat is generated by the friction in the bends as well as the tubing routing through the engine bay.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
im not disagreeing with you. i understand what a cold air is. and i understand about bends, im just trying not to knock a fellow scion owner for the parts they chose. its not my car so i chose to keep my negative comments to my self. i agree that the more metal pipe next to the motor your gonna have more of a heak soak problem. so i agree with RT. the 'cold air' intake is not my choice of part for all these reasons, but if littledane wants it then cool. i support the modding of scions. even if the parts of taste of theme doesnt apply or appeal to me personally.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok i bought this intake because of the price, i got it for 80 shipped. it was alot cheaper than any short ram that i found. i am trying to modify my box on a limited budget. i understand the diference in a "short ram" and a "cold air" but anything is better than nothing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was agreeing with you - Your intake looks cool - it is just diff. than the mine thats all - Mine is like a short ram - but longer -

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
did you even look at ebay? You could've bought one off of there for what...$40? and then buy a k&n filter to make it just like all of the other short rams out there.

I'm just informing you of a better way you could've gone...cheaper, more efficient.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nah - im not an E bay people. E bay is the enemy in my lineof work.
I achieved a Pro Deal from Greddy - so it is an all new all Greddy set up. Headers, and SP2 exhaust.
I did all the install work but had to get it dialed in at a pro shop yesterday - so everything is running tits now. I just needed a quick alignment and a new screw for the MAH sensor holder thing.
I've went with Greddy cuz I have always been a fan of their stuff - them and HKS. those were the two hot names about 13 years ago so I stuck with what I knew was good in quality and has a good warranty -you know just in case -

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.