Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a few XB's and have a need for 1 of them to drive on slightly rough terrain. Has anyone lifted the chasis up 3-4 inches? I need to get a little more ground clearance and am looking for ways to do it besides increasing the wheel size. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmmm, yeah, the're not really designed to be lifted really. Wrong suspension for that. However, you could probably manage up to a 2" lift without really hurting anything much. Add a 20" wheel to that and you'll do pretty damn well in any terrain.

Upping the wheel size is pretty much a must in that situation, but I suppose you could just run a bigger sidewall tire on the 15" wheels. Something like a 185/75R15 would give you a bit more size.

Of course, doing that will mess with your odometer and speedo to no end and the lift will require new shocks/struts too if you want the suspension to work at all. Also, I have no idea what will happen with the VSC and traction control.

Finally, your easiest option is to remove the front and rear lips, run some kind of custom skid plate over any vunerable places (read: tranny pan and fuel lines) and watch yourself in ruts.

Hope that's at least a bit helpful in your quest! Obviously, we'd love to see pictures if you do ANY of this stuff!:D

-Alex

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
TXXB said:
I have purchased a few XB's and have a need for 1 of them to drive on slightly rough terrain. Has anyone lifted the chasis up 3-4 inches?
Oh, to actually ANSWER your question: No, nobody has lifted the stock chassis on an xB that far. All lifted xBs at this point are body swaps on other chassis (like the Pioneer 4WD xBronco).

-Alex

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Yeah, I would go for the Bronco II frame swap.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Stylis said:
isn't that pioneer xb pusehed to events only? I heard that the steering only works on it.
:eek: I hope not! Even if the drivetrain is different, it would be nice to see it run.

·
Registered
354 Posts
dtrain619 said:
Oh well...... it was a thought!

O/T: How's the weather down in Florida?
Would be cool if it did run though. if i saw something like that driving down the street i would probably wreak trying to look at it.

weather here is good right now.. About 65 degrees.. a little cloudy but nothing bad. about perfect for me.. not to hot and not to cold.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
2 or 3 inches spacers for your springs and struts. you'll also need a camber kit to offset the positive camber that you'll get from the lift.

i suggest using 6061 aluminum which you can find in that thickness here: Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com

i would be careful though. my plans of POSSIBLY doing this for the rally xB setup is 50/50 but at the same time, the drive axles are strong enough for the aggressive angle. the stock one's are not and can snap on you very easily.

you can also help your height by using bigger wheel+tire combos. the biggest you can go is about 25.5" in total diameter before you have rub problems. that plus maybe at the most a 2 inch spacer set for all four corners will give you roughly 3-4 inch lift.

i would be VERY careful and easy on the gas, the stock drive axles don't like that angle.

·
I'm Marcel NOT Stenger
10,639 Posts
Oh, to actually ANSWER your question: No, nobody has lifted the stock chassis on an xB that far. All lifted xBs at this point are body swaps on other chassis (like the Pioneer 4WD xBronco).

-Alex
ive seen this xb at tha texas heatwave back n 2007 and when i saw it, it was being driven 4rm tha sounds off stage 2 tha spot where pioneer was

·
Registered
12,385 Posts
WOw..Just realized that this thread was almost 2 years old..Wow...IT was that noob goth..HAHA..JK!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.