Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by my salesperson (back in April '05) that you can order an xB that isn't painted...It would come in the color primer of your choice. Does anyone know if this is true or not? It would make sense for the ultimate customizer, but not for the weekend parts adder (me LOL). Anyone ever heard this one?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You're in Louisiana, right?

That's Gulf States/Southeast Toyota. Rules don't apply there and it's entirely possible that you may be able to order an unpainted Scion. It wouldn't supprise me. In the rest of the US though, no, you have to have paint.

-Alex

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually this was told to me by the dealer I bought the car at in Danvers MA. NE region...LOL. But, yes, the options are different in the gulf coast states.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
dirtyrice said:
Actually this was told to me by the dealer I bought the car at in Danvers MA. NE region...LOL. But, yes, the options are different in the gulf coast states.
In that case, he was dead wrong.

-Alex

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
when scions first came out toyota was kicking around the idea of selling primered xb's. but it never happened.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Thats more along the lines of what I heard...But the salesman flat out said "You can even order the xB from the factory unpainted!", " A lot of customizers are doing that!". Oh well, I never really trust anything a salesman says anyway, unless it's in writing! Thanks all for the responses!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told this by a dealer in Massachusetts. I mentioned the gulf states because thats where my permanent address is and someone grizzly asked where I was. I don't think it is possible to get one unpainted anywhere, regardless of where we are or the region we buy them at. Nobody said it was available in the gulf states, but I did mention that there are certain options in certain regions and not in other regions. Hotbox summed it up best...I think maybe they toyed with the idea, but it never came about.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
You're in Louisiana, right?

That's Gulf States/Southeast Toyota. Rules don't apply there and it's entirely possible that you may be able to order an unpainted Scion. It wouldn't supprise me. In the rest of the US though, no, you have to have paint.

-Alex
I was referring to this. :)

Why are the gulf states so special? lol Not being mean of course!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
I was referring to this. :)

Why are the gulf states so special? lol Not being mean of course!
Basically, the regional distributorship there is privately owned (i.e. not owned by Toyota), it has been since the beginning in the US (late 1950s). Therefore, they are able to offer certain options as Toyota/Scion parts that are only available aftermarket in the rest of the country. Cruise control on an xB is probably the most common example of this in our little community. It's pretty cool that they get to do that and allows them to personalize the Scion from the dealership even easier. When someone wants cruise or chrome door handles or real carbon fiber dash or whatever from me, I have to contact three different distributors before I can get it all done. Frustrating.

bdonscion said:
Never heard of that being an option in this region(GST).
Well, there you go. That's the man who probably knows best!

-Alex

·
Registered
168 Posts
correct - as said a little earlier - Scion toyed with the idea of a primered xB (and xA too I believe). There was a show version of the idea going around, that was about 2 years or so ago. Been a good while. The catch to it was going to be of course to that when you bought the car, you specified what shop it was going to be painted, you picked out the color and then when it was done, you could pick it up (or so I seem to remember). The idea being of course, you could have any insane color you wanted - but Scion didn't want you driving around in factory primer.

Probably never really took off becuase you would not have saved any money at all doing it that way - the cars don't have primer as is anyway - and one way or another the factory would be "painting" the car. In the end - it's a cool idea - but that's it. In practical terms - it's a horrible plan. The factory more than likely was aware of what a major undertaking it is to do a total color-change repaint CORRECTLY on a brand new, assembled, ready-to-drive is.

With all that work in mind - they know what any body guy knows. If that's your plan. Buy a white one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.