Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend a set of underhood mirrors that look good and can handle daily driving? Looking for the ones that fit in the bracing's shapes under the hood. Not the one piece ones that fill the entire area.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I say go custom. All you need is a tablesaw with the proper blade and a running source of water.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
But what is the material that they use for the ones that look like mirrors, but actually aren't?

·
3,453 Posts
I've heard of people using a mirroed plexi. I think that'd warp. You'd probably have to find a mirror glass that's tempered.

OR, you could always pick up some SS and polish to a nice mirror finish!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
just read on a lowrider forum that people make their own out of 3/16" mirrored plexi, and they hold heat up to 400 degrees. Something to look into!

·
3,453 Posts
Damn right it is! Keep us informed on what you decide! After stumbling upon the pps site, I may pick up some of that film and see how that holds up.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow.....that's another option to look into! good find!

·
3,453 Posts
Thanks! Nice find from you as well! I'm a Google master. give me some time and I can find just about anything, well on THIS continent.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hehhehe anything huh. Came up with this company too, but of course they don't have a scion kit. Could probably special order though. http://mdctinc.com/mi.htm

·
3,453 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you contacted them, they might do a custom set, maybe bring it to production. It'd get them more business.

And yes, I can find anything on this continent. It can take up to a day, but the internet is a good friend of mine. We go way back. So far back when newsgroups were still the talk of the times.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me thinks I feel the project bug coming on. Bet the mirrored plexi would kinda expensive, but should be cheaper than the $160 that company is charging for their non-custom sets. Gonna have to call around to some plastics shops on Monday!

·
3,453 Posts
Project bugs are always nice. Also, after you do it for yourself, if you have the time, you can always make more for others ;-)

·
Yakima Rack God
433 Posts
use mirrored plexi, you don't want a glass mirror exploding under the hood while driving (I have seen it happen and it's not pretty) Cut the mirrored plexi (you can actually get the mirrored plexi from most custom bathroom stores) and use a magnetic strip to hold in place if you want it removable, which is what I would suggest so you don't scratch the hell outta the surface.

Here's a couple of links to help you out:
http://www.americanacrylics.com/mirror.htm
http://www.bayplastics.co.uk/Product%20Materials/prod-altuglass-mirror.htm#p
http://www.plaskolite.com/acrylic-mirror.htm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you checked out scionpro's polished stainless engine dress-up stuff? I've got the engine cover and false firewall in polished. It looks just like a mirror without the breakage potential. You can purchase individual pieces instead of the complete kit.

scionpro.com is the place.... Steve will hook you up and his customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
570 Posts
George (KOOLB) from Scinergy has mirrors between the braces and I am pretty sure that it is real glass mirror.... I was thinking of the plex mirror with velcro so you can remove em and store them an a bag or something so they done get scratched

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
Release xb there in NY hit them up

and let us know. the site has a address and tele maybe you could be our advanced scout w/pics so we could see better close ups. i sent an e-mail for price and better pics ill let you know ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.