Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just bought a brand new xB. I'm so stoked! I love it so much.
One question: Is it just me, or do these cars not come with a light underneath the hood??!? I was showing it off to my dad, and popped the hood to take a look underneath. It was night time, so we couldn't see a thing. What's the deal?!? My other car, which is 16 years old, has a light underneath the hood.
Is it just me?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Mine are done in blue but you could use white if your more concerned about just lighting up the engine compartment. I have four 12 inch cathodes and 2 four inch lighting mine up.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Some of my old Land Cruisers had an underhood lights that looked like miniatures of those drop lights. They had a '67' bulb in a little metal cage with a hook, and with a magnet on the rubber handle. They were powered by the vehicle electrical system through a retractable cord about 10 feet long. The reel was mounted on the inside of the hood, and the light fit onto it when stored.

I'd love to find some of those again. They were great when something broke in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

One of my Volvo's had something like that, too, but not so elaborate.

Actually, most trunk lights with the little mercury switches work great under the hood. Open the hood and the light comes on, just like a refrigerator. :) Thing is, the enviromental folks killed those trunk lights because of the mercury. :(

Oh, well.

Tomas

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Tomas said:
Some of my old Land Cruisers had an underhood lights that looked like miniatures of those drop lights. They had a '67' bulb in a little metal cage with a hook, and with a magnet on the rubber handle. They were powered by the vehicle electrical system through a retractable cord about 10 feet long. The reel was mounted on the inside of the hood, and the light fit onto it when stored.

I'd love to find some of those again. They were great when something broke in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

One of my Volvo's had something like that, too, but not so elaborate.

Actually, most trunk lights with the little mercury switches work great under the hood. Open the hood and the light comes on, just like a refrigerator. :) Thing is, the enviromental folks killed those trunk lights because of the mercury. :(

Oh, well.

Tomas
Damn tree-huggers!!!! ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 94 Chevy truck had one of those but it was mounted to the fender. I think it was about 10 ft or so long and had an on/off switch. Those should still be available. Here ya go!

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those will be under c/k resto,lighting,page 2 I believe. :D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
sid said:
this is what I use. Very bright!!!!

:D :cool:

HELL YES SID THATS IT :cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
surfcitylocal said:
Mine are done in blue but you could use white if your more concerned about just lighting up the engine compartment. I have four 12 inch cathodes and 2 four inch lighting mine up.
How did you wire these up? Straight to the battery? Also, I'm assuming you just mounted them in by screwing 'em in. It's not a bad idea, actually. Not only does it look really good, but it provides some much needed light. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.