Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today (prom night) I was driving my box down a local street. When all of the sudden a rock flies up and hits my windshield. Now i didn't think much of this, b/c i was only going 25 mph. Come to find out it hit the lower passenger side of my window and put a 5 inch long crack in it! This blows! I used to own a jetta and i took rocks all the time going 75 mph, and nothing ever happened to my windshield!:mad: am i getting the low pricetag for a reason, or did i just get a bad windshield?:confused: BTW, I have a tint strip on my windshield that will be pricey to replace if getting a new windsheild is my only option...

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey this happened to me TWICE when i first bought my box. i got of the dealer with it and BAM a rock hit it on the way home. i thought it was nothing also but the next day on my way to work another big rig pops a rock in the air and i heard it hit my windshield hard. when i checked it i had to 2 cracks on my windshield. i got them fixed by a buddy who owns a window shop i didnt have to replace it but he has 2 xb's and he told me to be used to it because this cars get a lot of hate from rocks.. i guess you didnt get a cheap windshield on your xb is just that is so damn huge and a very easy target because of its size.:(

·
Registered
949 Posts
sorry to hear that.. there is a kid that i know that has put 5 new windsheilds in his xb due to rocks that would really get costly after a while...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Can't fix a crack, needs to be replaced. Probably around $200

·
Registered
61 Posts
Within the first week of having my box I was driving down the highway and them BAM... a rock hit the window. I didn't notice anything at first but then I saw it starting to crack. My girlfriend told me to fill the chip in with clear nail polish and the crack hasn't spread anymore from that point. So you can always fill the chip/cracks with it so it won't spread until you get a new one!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, my main point is that i was doing 25! Not to mention i was around 4 car length behind the truck that kicked up the rock!!! That is where the thought about me getting a bad window came in....;)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Cravin said:
No bad window just bad rock. lol :)
Window good, rock bad. Got it! :D

Sorry, what I meant to say was the window on the xB is so close to being vertical to the road that it takes the rocks as a direct hit rather than having an angle that would allow it to skip off like most vehicles.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Is it covered under your insurance? Since it's an "act of nature" it is covered under comprehensive (that's what my insurance said).

·
Registered
485 Posts
heres just a helpful suggestion. my buddy and i (both xb owners) got together this past weekend and were talking about this very thing. Best thing you can do is have one of those wind deflector things put on the box to disrupt the airflow to go over the vehicle. one of the other guys in our club had one installed and not only does he now miss virtually all rocks, he hasnt even had a bug splatter in over a month. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. Anyways, im lookin into that since i already have rock scratches and a good chip in my windshield. not to mention all the bug splats

·
Registered
567 Posts
A buddy of mine works down at a toyota dealership by me..he said that the windshiedl was supposed to get recalled because it is too thin for how vertical it is.. But nothing has happened yet..

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Some of the aftermarket windshields (like the Fuyao Glass windshield) do appear to be thicker and a bit stronger than the factory glass.

They take some hits a bit better, and also reduce rain noise from rain hitting the windshield. They do, of course, still break if hit hard enough. :(

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm getting my windshield replaced on Wednesday...the same day I pick up my box from body shop!:D only 2 MORE DAYS!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My boyfriend has 3 nice big chips in his window from construction zones. I haven't had any problems with mine and I hope I don't, but I guess the big windshields are prone to rock chips and bug splatters! Ewwww

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
astroJR said:
A buddy of mine works down at a toyota dealership by me..he said that the windshiedl was supposed to get recalled because it is too thin for how vertical it is.. But nothing has happened yet..
I may go down to the local scion dealer, and check this out...like i have said many times before, 25 mph shouldn't crack a window!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alright, so I have had many rocks hit my window... never cracks, just chips the window. Insurance should cover it, even to replace it if it cant be fixed. The reason we get so many shitty rocks up on our winshields is because of the angle of it! My insurance guy says he repairs Jeeps, hummers, and G wagons more than Xbs!!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.