Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have heard there is a Cold Air Intake CAI and a Short Ram SR intake. What are the primary differences btwn the two? I one more harder to install than the other? Is there a significant pwr difference? please help me out. I have an 06.5 btw and looking for a good brand/moderately priced that will fit my 06.5 xB.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Cold air intakes are pointless for xB's, since the short ram pulls air from behind the bumper anyways.

But to your q:

Short ram: the intake is shorter, giving you better throttle response, you don't ahve to worry about hydrolocking, and the filter is placed behind the foglight. +Lower end power.

CAI: Prone to hydrolock, filter is very close to the bottom of the bumper. +Higher end power.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will go for the Short Ram since I do alot of city driving and need the pwr the most in the low end side. Is there any effect on the gas mileage btw with this?

·
Registered
827 Posts
With the basic design of our boxes, having the grille not really for cooling through the radiator, and being very open, I am suprised nobody had devised a ram air system taking advantage of this. Is this a decent idea, or is it one of things that has already been tried and doesnt work?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
My Blitz SUS is considered a SR. I like the throttle response, but wonder about it sucking air from under the hood. :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since I have an 06, didnt toyota change something in the stock intakes comaperd to the 03-05 ones? All i see on ebay are intakes for up to 05 and rarely for 06.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
My1stbox said:
since I have an 06, didnt toyota change something in the stock intakes comaperd to the 03-05 ones? All i see on ebay are intakes for up to 05 and rarely for 06.
I've heard something about the addition of a carbon filter or something like that. My wife has an '06 as well, so we're looking for something that'll work too!

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
xjeepguy said:
With the basic design of our boxes, having the grille not really for cooling through the radiator, and being very open, I am suprised nobody had devised a ram air system taking advantage of this. Is this a decent idea, or is it one of things that has already been tried and doesnt work?
Working on it;)
Why to call just a shorter intake a RAM? True RAM utilizes pressure build up in front of the car or in front of windshield to force it (or at least help) to be sucked into air cleaner. The higher the speed of the car the better the effect. Our streamliners, I imagine ,have some pressure build up in front of them as they move.
I'd rather cook the bugs at 4000 RPM then scrape them of my grill:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my main concern is as long as the intake i get doesnt throw and codes in the computer and turn the CEL light on. In NY, cars 96 and up are subject to OBDII or III tests meaning the cars are no longer put on the dyno for emiissions testing, a computer is now used.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
PCH said:
True RAM utilizes pressure build up in front of the car or in front of windshield to force it (or at least help) to be sucked into air cleaner. The higher the speed of the car the better the effect.
Would that be something like a cowl induction set-up?

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
My1stbox said:
They added a sponge like screen inside the air filter housing. Its between air filter element and MAF sensor. It's main purpose is emission control. After you shut the engine off the fumes from the crankcase(hydrocarbon) are not allowed to escape into atmosphere (or at slower rate). So by its definition its a barrier to the flow of air. Is CARB going to allow to take it out if this is the case?

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
PCH said:
They added a sponge like screen inside the air filter housing. Its between air filter element and MAF sensor. It's main purpose is emission control. After you shut the engine off the fumes from the crankcase(hydrocarbon) are not allowed to escape into atmosphere (or at slower rate). So by its definition its a barrier to the flow of air. Is CARB going to allow to take it out if this is the case?
Hmm, would that "barrier" be one of the reasons the '06's HP rating is lower?

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
Would that be something like a cowl induction set-up?
You might have seen it on Firebirbs. Raised part if the hood has an opening that can be seen from inside of the car through the windshield. The hood has to have a tunnel through which air will be routed to the A/F housing which is pressed against the hood from the buttom. Late Pontiacs have RAM air scoop that funnels air from the front of the car.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
Hmm, would that "barrier" be one of the reasons the '06's HP rating is lower?
I hope someone actually does what i suggest. :D
Take the whole housing out of the car and try to breeze through it with A/F in it, then without it. Will there be any difference? (Watch your RPM:D )
It has to affect HP how much restriction there is! They added an extra filter!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
PCH said:
You might have seen it on Firebirbs. Raised part if the hood has an opening that can be seen from inside of the car through the windshield. The hood has to have a tunnel through which air will be routed to the A/F housing which is pressed against the hood from the buttom. Late Pontiacs have RAM air scoop that funnels air from the front of the car.
My uncle has a '70 Chevelle SS that reads "Cowl Induction" on the raise area of the hood.

Would something like that work with the Blitz SUS? (That's not my engine in the pic.)

Attachments

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
70 Chevelle thats before my time. I dont know how that worked.
Cowl induction setup is really very difficult to engineer without having a wind tunnel as you have no idea where the actual pressure areas are and at what speeds. Besides you have to completely isolate underhood air from what you are trying grab from the front of the glass. Air moves in a really wild way and tends to shoot from under the hood into windshield when it has a chance (every car has seals that prevent this).
Thanks for a pic. Dont you just want to reverse that filter 180 towards the front?

·
Registered
827 Posts
That pic looks really clean. I like the way that is setup, except that it is near the hottest part of the engine lol. Looks awesome though.

The cowl induction from the 60's and 70's actually didn't work the way the engineers thought it would. There is a "box" that went around the air cleaner with a rubber gasket that mated to the hood. The idea was to pull cooler, denser air from outside the engine bay, but what they didn't realize back then was that the airflow over the hood created a vacume at that point making it more difficult for the engine to pull air. Looked really cool though;)

I really think we could create a ram air effect with that space behind the grille. I may just try to fab up something like that.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
PCH said:
Dont you just want to reverse that filter 180 towards the front?
Hadn't thought about it, to tell you the truth. Wondering if there's enough room to turn it 180.....

"70 Chevelle thats before my time."

Haha! I keep forgetting I'm a old guy! (I was ten in 1970!)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.