Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have been thinking of getting a two tone paint job. i want to paint the top half bsp Or shadow mica with maybe a pin stripe of tcm Just to set it off. i would leave the bottom half salsa red. if you dont mind my asking what did you guys pay for your deuce tones?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the pink and white will be great LOL. 2 tone is ok just gotta have the right colors. Just get a candy paint and call it quits!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
you will likely find a wide variety of pricing for a wide variety of quality. To be done right so it looks like factory with all the inner jamb areas (doors, gate, under hood etc) painted to match in the 2-Tone areas expect to pay $2000-3000. Remember to do this well all doors, tailgate and nose need to be dissassembled to paint the new color/s on the parts that need it. Windshield (assuming you are recoloring the top), 1/4 glasses and tailgate glass should be removed for painting. A new windshield moulding will be needed as well as new tape appliques for the door posts ($70 or so each) unless you plan on detaping as well.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Damn totally missed this. I got the hook up price from a friend on mine. With body kit, wing, and all it was done for a grand. Then again though, I never bothered to get the inside jambs done. I never have people notice or comment so take it for what you will. Before long I will likely get them done though. I think you have a good plan. Run with it!

·
Registered
325 Posts
$1000 or so is in the realm for painting the exterior top down to the upper side body line with a new color. That would leave the under hood,upper inner jambs etc in the exisiting color (would look funny Salsa red I think). It also would likely not involve removing the glass for a really nice lasting complete job in these areas. If I was going to do this I would want every thing above the 2-tone line to be the 2-tone color, so it would look like the factory had done it. Some people aren't as particular as I am.

Also be advised that any 2-tone painted over part of the exisiting paint will leave a pretty heavy parting line (the edge of the newly applied area) that will need to be covered by a vinyl stripe of some type. The best way to 2-tone is paint or at least clear the entire exterior to bury the parting line in clear, but a stripe over this line will make it fairly durable and hide most of the roughness (most factory 2-tones use this stripe over technique).

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
any 2-tone painted over part of the exisiting paint will leave a pretty heavy parting line (the edge of the newly applied area) that will need to be covered by a vinyl stripe of some type. The best way to 2-tone is paint or at least clear the entire exterior to bury the parting line in clear, but a stripe over this line will make it fairly durable and hide most of the roughness (most factory 2-tones use this stripe over technique).
Thats a very good point. I had to get a pinstripe (I actually did a twotone pinstripe of silver and black) to cover the line difference. It was REAL rough cut line. The only color I would two tone with Salsa is black I think and not repaint it all. Black you could get away with not doing door jambs I think.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got quoted $500.00 for a two tone (top only....I am considering doing the top black)...any one good with photo shop and could show me what a camo and Bblack box might look like?

there's a guy here on the island that has his Black box 2 toned..he kept the top black and did the rest in an orange....it looks freaking kick ass!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I got quoted $500.00 for a two tone (top only....I am considering doing the top black)...any one good with photo shop and could show me what a camo and Bblack box might look like?

there's a guy here on the island that has his Black box 2 toned..he kept the top black and did the rest in an orange....it looks freaking kick ass!
Be very wary. $500 is not very much to do a complete job with good materials. Materials alone for such work using quality paints would be around $250 or a bit more. Ask very specific questions about what will and will not be painted, what will and will not be removed. Windshield moulding should be replaced not masked around for a good lasting job (that in itself is about $150 or so including the new moulding) as the moulding fits tight to the roof and does not lift well (I tried to save these dollars on mine but it was not going to happen) the paint needs to get up under the moulding for a clean job with minimal chance of flaking back. Are the jambs getting painted?...if so are all the doors getting removed and installed to do a good job of this? Is the guy doing it a buddy and you are only paying for paint and beers?? Make sure you know exactly what you are getting and what to expect before you spend hard earned money and someone screws up your car. (I am not saying they will screw it up...all I am saying is that that is very cheap for a proper job so you as the buyer need to be very wary)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was thinking of doing two tone like a dark blue and lambo candy yellow, dark blue on top and yellow bottom half and then do a special design on the CF hood and hatch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.