Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes:

is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves leaving their turn signals on all the time in their xB? I mean, I'm 43 years old, and have had many types of vehicles, and I've never had a car where I look down so much and see that my turn signal is still on. It kind of drives me crazy.

I don't see any pattern to it, other than the fact that it happnes all the time.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
311 Posts
hubbard said:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but here goes:

is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves leaving their turn signals on all the time in their xB? I mean, I'm 43 years old, and have had many types of vehicles, and I've never had a car where I look down so much and see that my turn signal is still on. It kind of drives me crazy.

I don't see any pattern to it, other than the fact that it happnes all the time.

Anyone else?

its not a problem.. dont worry about it.. basically.. when u signal to turn.. you don't turn your steering wheel far enough to make the signal turn off..

trust me.. from driving a civic to the xB.. i've left the blinker running on for long periods of time.. especially with my LCD screen.. i can't even see the left&right arrows blink on the dash..

just turn the steering wheel a little bit more on turns :) and you'll be fine.. or if its a QUICK turn.. don't push the turn signal lever all the way down.. jst hold it so it blinks and let go after u turn :)

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
hubbard said:
is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves leaving their turn signals on all the time in their xB? I mean, I'm 43 years old....
It stops happening when you turn 46!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Nah...its not just you...i seem to have that problem more too...one, because the blinker isn't right in front of me, and you can't hear it. In my 626, i can hear it...and when changing lanes, its harder to just tap is once than in my 626, so I end up fully engaging it and it might stay on for a few extra seconds.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
that happened to me once, i forgot to turn off the signal after i turned slightly left to another street. i left it on for a good 20sec till i realized that i've left it on. it has never happen to me since.

·
Registered
485 Posts
xfLipm0d3x said:
its not a problem.. dont worry about it.. basically.. when u signal to turn.. you don't turn your steering wheel far enough to make the signal turn off..

trust me.. from driving a civic to the xB.. i've left the blinker running on for long periods of time.. especially with my LCD screen.. i can't even see the left&right arrows blink on the dash..
just turn the steering wheel a little bit more on turns :) and you'll be fine.. or if its a QUICK turn.. don't push the turn signal lever all the way down.. jst hold it so it blinks and let go after u turn :)
i was about to say that. With the LCD screen i cant see my right turn signal unless i lean towards the dash and half the time i dont see the left turn signal. I feel like a complete idiot when it happens and i remember i havent switched lanes for about 10 minutes

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
There are a number of streets locally that intersect at much greater than 90 degree angles, and the left turns from one to the other are very shallow. On those turns, the steering wheel is not rotated enough to catch and cancel the turn signal. I've occasionally left the signals on for as much as a half block after making the turn, but I have enough 'situational awareness' to notice the flashing green light by then.

Maybe it's left over from being a pilot and being 'programmed' to make periodic instrument scans, or maybe it is just a part of my mirror/instrument scan I was taught in driver training nearly a half century ago. I can't tell for sure, it is so deeply ingrained as a part of managing my vehicle. :D

I'm trying to remember the vehicle I used to drive on occasion that had a timer on the signals - if the turn signal was left on for two minutes or so it would start to beep to get your attention. That was a nice feature - except at long lights. For those you learned to quickly flick the signal off and back on within about the first half beep. :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Tomas said:
There are a number of streets locally that intersect at much greater than 90 degree angles, and the left turns from one to the other are very shallow. On those turns, the steering wheel is not rotated enough to catch and cancel the turn signal. I've occasionally left the signals on for as much as a half block after making the turn, but I have enough 'situational awareness' to notice the flashing green light by then.

Maybe it's left over from being a pilot and being 'programmed' to make periodic instrument scans, or maybe it is just a part of my mirror/instrument scan I was taught in driver training nearly a half century ago. I can't tell for sure, it is so deeply ingrained as a part of managing my vehicle. :D

I'm trying to remember the vehicle I used to drive on occasion that had a timer on the signals - if the turn signal was left on for two minutes or so it would start to beep to get your attention. That was a nice feature - except at long lights. For those you learned to quickly flick the signal off and back on within about the first half beep. :)
Tomas, you're my hero. Thank a higher power that you're not one of those people who can't tell their turn signal is on. They drive for miles with it on causing one to wonder if they are traveling around the world to the left or maybe they are pretending to be a NASCAR driver with a courtesy issue!

Blink, blink, blink, blink, blink :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My grandfather was one of those people who's car was ALWAYS signalling either left or right. It was an old Nash turtleback (Remember those? Looked like an overturned cast iron bathtub?) with, of all things, a flashing red light on the turn signal stalk itself, and flasher relays that went click-CLACK-click CLACK-click-CLACK-click CLACK-...

My grandmother was forever asking him when the bomb was going off,to which he would reply "Huh?" and turn off the signal.

We took a driving vacation with him last year, in his nice, new, top-of-the-line Chrysler van, and drove from the Seatle area to the middle of Montana to visit relatives there. I did 99% of the driving, but the maybe 40 miles he drove probably aged me 10 years. Frightening.

He just got re-married, and his new bride will NOT let him drive with her in the car. Absolutely refuses. No way, no arguement. Smart lady. :D

I still have fond memories, though, of that old grey and blue Nash Ambasador with the flashing turn signal stalk and the click-CLACK relay. :)

Tom

·
Registered
260 Posts
Actually the turn signal flashing continously, is a sign of old age, I'm 39, and I can't help but ***** at myself for doing the same thing I make fun of the''other guy'' for doing! My remedy is to not use the turn signals at all! Here in Houston, a turn signal seems to make other drivers extremely instantly aggressive, and make every a-hole attempt to keep you from making your turn! Since the Xb is not as intimidating as a F350 Quad cab 4x4, I have to learn quick evasive manueuvers, to get where I need to go!

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
Tomas said:
My Dad's PT Cruiser does that, I was kinda hoping that the Box would do it as well, because lets face it, as we get older, the ol gray matter doesn't process everything like it used to...lol

BRANT said:
My remedy is to not use the turn signals at all! Here in Houston, a turn signal seems to make other drivers extremely instantly aggressive, and make every a-hole attempt to keep you from making your turn!
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The same thing happens here in SoCal, but never the less I just can't stand it when someone is too lazy, or just doesn't care enough to use their signal. I can't count the number of times that I've almost rear ended somebody, or received a beautiful new rubber racing stripe down the side of my car because some idiot believed that I should just know what he was about to do. It is usually the people that own the more expensive cars and SUV's. I always feel like asking them if they "just can't afford a new bulb for those expensive monstrosities, or is it just that there are too many options on those things, so they couldn't fit the blinkers in?"...lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I appreciate all of the good advice, and I'm glad that it isn't just me.

My other vehicle is a 1977 Ford F100, and the turn signals in it don't even go off by themselves anymore, so it isn't like I'm not used to checking it manually. I damn sure don't hear the things, cause I'm usually blasting my IPOD, and I guess I don't see it either......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.