Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people saying you can't or maybe shouldn't put a turbo on a first Gen XB auto. I've turboed a car or two over the years to included a 700 rwhp 88 Mustang GT and knew this to be false. You can turbo anything, it's just a matter of how well it works for your intended purpose. I suspected their would be some drawbacks to such a set up but very doable. Additionally, your objective makes a difference on whether you should or shouldn't and how satisfied you'll be with the end results. My objective was to make the car "less slow" not fast. I picked up a new HKS kit on this site from a guy a few years ago. Got it for almost half price so it was worth experimenting with. Overall I am satisfied with the results, it is what I expected. The main drawback is the shift pattern for the auto. It want's to get to the highest possible gear as soon as possible for fuel economy. The turbo needs to be around 3K RPM to spool. That said, driving on normal auto mode you have to put your foot in it and get it to kick down a gear to build boost...not ideal because it can be a bit snappy on the transmission. This is easily mitigated by turning off overdrive. When you feel the need for speed simply turn off overdrive. The turbo stays spooled and there is not two gear step down like in overdrive mode to make you shift snappy.

I had the setup dynoed. If I remember correctly it was 89ish whp before the turbo and around 118 whp after. I think I have the sheet somewhere. This kit only puts out 3-5 PSI. Most of the time per my gauge it's spitting out around 4 lbs of boost. This accomplished my goal which was to make the car acceptable in traffic and on the highway. It made it so I can get in and out of traffic without worrying about getting run over or make a pass under normal condition.

Concerns and what not to do: I would not turn up the boost on stock components because from the feel and sound of things under boost, you'll probably break something. The shifts snap sometimes under full boost in overdrive. It feels like it could break the transmission if you are not careful. I also wonder how much extra power the axles can handle. I think it could probably handle 6-7 psi without breaking to much. More than that and I think you are rolling the dice. I also think it depends on how you drive it. I don't race and I'm not always pulling hard off the line for no good reason other than to say "yahoo!". I've had this setup for two years with no issues and it is doing exactly what I wanted it to do which is to give it "acceptable", power, i.e., make it less slow...give it acceptable HP for around town and highway driving. I have pictures of my setup but couldn't figure out how to get them loaded on here. Hope this is helpful for anyone considering a turbo on an auto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey there, what did you use for fuel delivery? Did your kit come with the piggyback tuner?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this was a couple years ago but, do you know what the model of the HKS kit is was? I agree with you, it does seem sorta sluggish on take off, idk why they didn’t put a turbo when they made the xBs. Off topic real quick but, all the exhausts I seen on the xBs are kinda quiet in a way.. is there any not is quiet ones? I don’t mean like a loud fart can Civic (no offense, lol) but like just loud enough to turn a head or two.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really sure, it's been a long time. I know it retailed normally for over $3K. The guy I got it from got rid of his XB before he had a chance to install it so I got it for half price. As far as exhaust, I run a Magna Flow. It has a mellow tone which works for me because I'm old and don't like unnecessary noise. I like the deep mellow tone of the magna flow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this was a couple years ago but, do you know what the model of the HKS kit is was? I agree with you, it does seem sorta sluggish on take off, idk why they didn’t put a turbo when they made the xBs. Off topic real quick but, all the exhausts I seen on the xBs are kinda quiet in a way.. is there any not is quiet ones? I don’t mean like a loud fart can Civic (no offense, lol) but like just loud enough to turn a head or two.
It came with some tuner module that had to be spliced into the harness.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see a lot of people saying you can't or maybe shouldn't put a turbo on a first Gen XB auto. I've turboed a car or two over the years to included a 700 rwhp 88 Mustang GT and knew this to be false. You can turbo anything, it's just a matter of how well it works for your intended purpose. I suspected their would be some drawbacks to such a set up but very doable. Additionally, your objective makes a difference on whether you should or shouldn't and how satisfied you'll be with the end results. My objective was to make the car "less slow" not fast. I picked up a new HKS kit on this site from a guy a few years ago. Got it for almost half price so it was worth experimenting with. Overall I am satisfied with the results, it is what I expected. The main drawback is the shift pattern for the auto. It want's to get to the highest possible gear as soon as possible for fuel economy. The turbo needs to be around 3K RPM to spool. That said, driving on normal auto mode you have to put your foot in it and get it to kick down a gear to build boost...not ideal because it can be a bit snappy on the transmission. This is easily mitigated by turning off overdrive. When you feel the need for speed simply turn off overdrive. The turbo stays spooled and there is not two gear step down like in overdrive mode to make you shift snappy.

I had the setup dynoed. If I remember correctly it was 89ish whp before the turbo and around 118 whp after. I think I have the sheet somewhere. This kit only puts out 3-5 PSI. Most of the time per my gauge it's spitting out around 4 lbs of boost. This accomplished my goal which was to make the car acceptable in traffic and on the highway. It made it so I can get in and out of traffic without worrying about getting run over or make a pass under normal condition.

Concerns and what not to do: I would not turn up the boost on stock components because from the feel and sound of things under boost, you'll probably break something. The shifts snap sometimes under full boost in overdrive. It feels like it could break the transmission if you are not careful. I also wonder how much extra power the axles can handle. I think it could probably handle 6-7 psi without breaking to much. More than that and I think you are rolling the dice. I also think it depends on how you drive it. I don't race and I'm not always pulling hard off the line for no good reason other than to say "yahoo!". I've had this setup for two years with no issues and it is doing exactly what I wanted it to do which is to give it "acceptable", power, i.e., make it less slow...give it acceptable HP for around town and highway driving. I have pictures of my setup but couldn't figure out how to get them loaded on here. Hope this is helpful for anyone considering a turbo on an auto.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was speaking to FastScions about this same issue. If adding a Supercharger would hurt the Automatic trans. They told me that they have put on several Superchargers on Autos and Sticks and never had a issue with either. If I supercharge mine I want to add a Trans cooler to add more fluid and keep it cool.
They told me that the supercharger would boost up to 7-8 psi (on the 50hp setting).
I am looking for the same thing. Zippy but not fast. The biggest thing you can do to "feel" more HP is to do the Blox Racing Air filter kit set up like is on the Yaris.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
As it was stated, you can boost anything. The key is knowing the limits of your equipment (transmission/engine) and not going crazy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was speaking to FastScions about this same issue. If adding a Supercharger would hurt the Automatic trans. They told me that they have put on several Superchargers on Autos and Sticks and never had a issue with either. If I supercharge mine I want to add a Trans cooler to add more fluid and keep it cool.
They told me that the supercharger would boost up to 7-8 psi (on the 50hp setting).
I am looking for the same thing. Zippy but not fast. The biggest thing you can do to "feel" more HP is to do the Blox Racing Air filter kit set up like is on the Yaris.
If you want to run that much boost I would recommend something to tune with. My kit is only about 4psi. If I was to do more I'd want a tune to keep from blowing something up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts