Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turbo Thermal Insulation Kit on ebay

Check out the above link. I'm thinking of getting this to reduce the heat from the turbo in my engine bay because that's where my intake is. Sounds like it is something that will work...and it seems like it's the right price too. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know! I need to get one before other stuff begins to melt! :D

BTW, the compressor side of things doesn't get hot does it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not AS hot, but it does get pretty warm. I don't know enough to say whether you need to wrap it, but I'm sure someone on here knows. Hit up Scionscotty. I think he was running a turbo on his for awhile. From what I understand, he knows quite a bit in relation to the turbos and fuel management and such.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
naw i havent ran a turbo, but i do know turbos and boost pretty well. turbo is coming in short time though for my car. to tell the truth, i dont think i would waste the money on it. i have to ask first, are you intercooled? what kinda turbo set up are you running? i cant imagine our lil 1nzfe's put out enough heat to require this really. ive been wrong before, but its a waste of money IMHO.

scotty

·
Registered
142 Posts
First off, thanks for getting in on this topic! The way the set-up is set up on his xB is not like most. It sits up higher and closer to the plastic trim on the cowl area. I think the 'wrap' is much needed in his case...maybe not most others.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Don't bother with what's in that auction.

Get some header tape and wrap the pipes. There should be no need to "bag" the turbo itself though.

If the turbo itself is too hot though, get some heat shielding material (damn, I forget what it's called) and make a shield between your turbo and whatever you're protecting.

Damn, I'll find out what that material is called. There's a brand name. Chris Rado told me about it actually.

-Alex

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK here is my engine bay with the turbo. As dirtyrice said, it sits up on top and apparently does get hot because the sound insulation material on the underside of the hood is getting kinda crispy and some of the plastic behind the turbo is melting a little. I was thinking of getting some special aluminum thermal tape for the plastic and removing the sound insulation material and using the thermal tape on the wiper fluid hoses.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
okay i take back my previous statements. thats a weird setup. is that all custom or was it some sorta kit to it? that would heat up the air coming into the engine a tad.

i would definetly get some thermal heat wrap for the "hot" pipes to keep it insulated there and not heat the whole engine bay and protect things. the auction turbo wrap doesnt seem as bad now, as that is a weird way to have a turbo setup. if i were you, i would experiment. get an air thermometer so to speak and measure the heat at the filter now then record it. get some insulate pipe wrap and measure it again a little later (once its cool back to a stable temp. so that the tests are constant). that will cut down some, and then if you feel like its too hot still in your opinion, its only 60 bucks. just make sure your tests are constant.

any normal turbo setup, i dont think id recommend doing it, but with yours, i just might. another option you have with that setup, is an "open" grille. that will get a considerable amount of air into the engine bay and cool it down. you might have to get a filter protector to keep it from the elements, but it could be worth it in the end to get that turbo heat kept down.

ps( sorry for the rambling im off to class)

scotty

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like something I can do, thanks for the input. I'm actually getting a billet grill for the car just for that reason to get more airflow into the engine bay. I was also thinking of getting a carbon fiber hood with a scoop up top, but that may be out of my price range for now.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
a lot of the way the hoods are designed, the airflow isnt optimized and good for the airflow. mostly theyre just pretty...

keep us updated on how this turns out! i think thermal wrap and a new grille will help a TON!

·
Registered
691 Posts
He bought that turbo from a lady who works for a performance company in Texas. The lady who owned it put it on SL and got flamed horribly. So bad that she just quit posting.

It might just be the fastest turbo xB out there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
LOL....I know. It was pretty bad the way she/they were flamed. Preacherboy didn't put it on and hopefully it won't happen here (I doubt it will...we all seam to get along pretty good so far). I just hope that we as owners can help him out with whatever comes up with his ride.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hmm, yeah, that's a wierd layout for the turbo. Hope it's fast like Jon said!

Anyway, with some minimal searching, I found this:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/heat_shield.php

See if you can get enough of that stuff to line your underhood and protect the paint from the heat.

I guess I would also recommend a cold air intake that sits the filter outside the engine bay. That way you're pulling colder air in. Aside from making more power, it may just lower that turbo temp a bit too. Also, like everyone said, flow some air through your top grille. It'll make your engine bay filthy, but that's better than it being on fire!

Hope that helps.

-Alex

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks grizzly, hmmm, I wonder if those things can be cut to shape. Then I could just make it the same dimensions as the sound insulation layer and replace that with the sound insulation layer.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
preacherboy said:
Thanks grizzly, hmmm, I wonder if those things can be cut to shape. Then I could just make it the same dimensions as the sound insulation layer and replace that with the sound insulation layer.
It's possible, give them a call on Monday and see what's up. I'm sure they're not THAT busy!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I called my buddy up and he said that depending where the turbo sits, you may have to insulate the firewall area w/ the reflective/insulation stuff (sorry, can't rememeber he told me last night), and wrapped the "hot" pipes to keep temps down. He has wrapped intake/intercooler lines before because of the way the lines were routed and that was the only option to keep the piping/air cool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.