Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a turbo set-up for my '98 Tacoma 2.4L 2RZ-FE with 5-speed. I have the turbo picked out, the manifold built, the intake is in production...but I need help with fuel management. I don't know if just a bigger pump and injectors will be enough or if I need a piggyback ECU. Also, will the Apexi SAFC-II do the job or do I need something better like a Split Second AFC?

I will be running a t3/t4 stage 3 turbo with 7-8 LBS boost...I will be surprised if I see 9 PSI and will never go over that. I am putting headstuds in and cometic head gasket. I want this thing to be reliable and drivable, so I don't want to take shortcuts here and there.

I am very lost on which direction to go, so ANYONE with turbo knowledge is needed and welcomed to chime in! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
67 Posts
typically with any setup that you're increasing the flow of air into the engine exponentially you'd want to increase the amount of fuel to match. a good flowing fuel pump (walbro of course being the most popular) and a good fuel regulator (SARD has been a good choice of a lot of Japanese tuners because of it's compact size but great flow rates) but you can go with just about any brand you prefer with good specs on it. not sure on your injector sizing but more often then not they should be sufficient for low boost applications. if anything you might want to consider it later down the road but remember to have the flow ratings matched to the amount of boost and power you plan to make.

if you want to do things right the first time try and stray away from piggyback computers as much as possible. remember that tuning is one of the most important parts of a good running engine. you could have the best parts in the world but if they aren't tuned correctly then it'll run like crap regardless. find a reputable tuner/shop that has experience in turbocharged engine setups and you can't go wrong. i would recommend a great tuner that tunes off the stock ECU with excellent results but I don't think he has any listings for your truck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am building a turbo set-up for my '98 Tacoma 2.4L 2RZ-FE with 5-speed. I have the turbo picked out, the manifold built, the intake is in production...but I need help with fuel management. I don't know if just a bigger pump and injectors will be enough or if I need a piggyback ECU. Also, will the Apexi SAFC-II do the job or do I need something better like a Split Second AFC?

I will be running a t3/t4 stage 3 turbo with 7-8 LBS boost...I will be surprised if I see 9 PSI and will never go over that. I am putting headstuds in and cometic head gasket. I want this thing to be reliable and drivable, so I don't want to take shortcuts here and there.

I am very lost on which direction to go, so ANYONE with turbo knowledge is needed and welcomed to chime in! Thanks in advance!
I would have to assume that the factory injectors are less than 280cc or so. You may want to look into getting a set of 370cc + injectors and a Walbro 255 lph intank fuel pump. This setup should be good for 250-275 whp. Can the SAFC II adjust timing? I know the older AFC's couldn't. If not, you may want to look into getting an eManage or eManage Ultimate and get the injector and ingition harnesses. You can also get the eManage Support Tool software and tune the unit to work with the larger injectors and cut out some timing. Are you running a .48, .63 or .82 turbine housing?

·
Registered
679 Posts
the AFC II would work, but its not ideal and neither is the emanage option but sadly there isn't much out there in terms of good engine management solutions for our cars and your taco. add a wideband o2 sensor controller and hook that up to the emanage to help with tuning. If you can get on a load based dyno, that would be ideal as you can get a more accurate tune. are you going to be running an intercooler at all?

·
Registered
157 Posts
the AFC II would work, but its not ideal and neither is the emanage option but sadly there isn't much out there in terms of good engine management solutions for our cars and your taco. add a wideband o2 sensor controller and hook that up to the emanage to help with tuning. If you can get on a load based dyno, that would be ideal as you can get a more accurate tune. are you going to be running an intercooler at all?

tkblazer is right, a wide band o2 sensor will definitely help when tuning on your own. NGK sells the Powerdex AFX which is under $275.00.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also agree with them on the wideband setup to see where you stand. You might not need any fuel management or timing adjustment if your ECU can adjust to the needs of the motor. I wish I knew a little more about the setup that your truck has. Do you know if it has a MAF sensor or MAP sensor? MAP sensor setups tend to do better with forced air induction. Altimately you may need to get a SAFC-II or something if your ECU can't be tuned much or will not hold a tune (common with a lot of vehicles).

Hey, didn't Toyota offer a TRD turbo kit for your truck back then, or was that just for the V-6 model (I could be wrong about it though)? I thought that I remember seeing that. You may want to find out what they had to do to make it all work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.