Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2006 xb. At the time had no Idea it had a turbo. Went and had the oil changed and that's when I found out. When I was driving it home from the dealership, I filled up with High Octane Gas to just help clean everything a little bit. I'm now on my second tank and put in 87 octane. Within 20 miles of the new tank of Gas I had the, Check Eng, VSC, and Track Control Lights come on. I used the computer to scan the ECU and had the codes of: P0420 and C1201. From some research, this all seems to be air/fuel Oxygen and CAT related. Do I need to run higher Octane gas because it has a turbo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a 2006 xb. At the time had no Idea it had a turbo. Went and had the oil changed and that's when I found out. When I was driving it home from the dealership, I filled up with High Octane Gas to just help clean everything a little bit. I'm now on my second tank and put in 87 octane. Within 20 miles of the new tank of Gas I had the, Check Eng, VSC, and Track Control Lights come on. I used the computer to scan the ECU and had the codes of: P0420 and C1201. From some research, this all seems to be air/fuel Oxygen and CAT related. Do I need to run higher Octane gas because it has a turbo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
First, welcome to the site and you only needed one thread for this.

Second, how on earth did you buy a car and not know it has a turbo on it? Did you open the hood at all? Did the seller describe the car at all? I am not trying to be a jerk, but I do wonder what else is modified on the car.

You need to find out more about the turbo installation, for instance what are they using for an add on computer to control the tune? This "tune" will tell you whether or not it is tuned for 87, 89, or 91 octane. You also can find useful information if you know what brand the turbo is, and whether it is a custom set up or a prebuilt kit.

My guess is that you do need higher octane.

Enjoy exploring every inch of your car now to find every modification done to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer had no idea after i called them back. I bought a 4 year warranty but when I found that it had turbo I quickly asked for my money back. I knew anytime I would take it in they would blame everything on this turbo. I did look under the hood and just thought it was a cold air intake. As for prebuilt or custom i'm not sure. However; some one did put some money into this car. It has Wilwood Brakes and Rotors, Tires, wheels and rims. Custom paint, HKS, shocks, springs ect. I bought this for the A/C, Heat, 4 doors and a reliable transportation and Great MPG. If you could tell me how and where I can get this checked that would be great...

·
Real Friends > Car Clubs
1,932 Posts
Almost all FI vehicles require premium fuel or a tune/upgrades to run e85.

---------- Post added 10-27-2014 at 06:45 PM ----------

Do you know what turbo kit was installed or is it a custom setup?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure, and I'm not sure how to tell. I really didn't buy this for racing..lol But now that I have it, I need to take care of it. How do I go about getting the ECU checked for its programming to see what its been tuned for? There isn't a boost gauge So i'm guessing custom maybe???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, Give me a few here. I"ll post a pic.

---------- Post added 10-28-2014 at 01:48 PM ----------

Here is a link for all the pictures. Might have to copy and paste.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9vaZTFfCvhtYnlmd25ENWQyZEE&usp=sharing

HKS - Coil overs front and back
HKS - shock absorber and springs
HKS - Strut Bar

Turbo
18' Wheels
Wilwood Brakes and Rotors
Touch Screen DVD Player
DVD players built in headrest by Scion
Carbon Fiber finish inside

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
188 Posts
How I wish I have the extra money,:crying: take your time fixing it, I believe you got a good deal with the car.

I've never been a car person. I know very little when it comes to the turbo/motor ****.

I think I found the turbo Kit it has. I Saw the HKS piping going to it and google it.

HKS Turbo Kit: Scion xB 2004 - 2005 M/T
I'll sale the car to you, $8,500..............:D

---------- Post added 10-28-2014 at 08:02 PM ----------

It also has this,

HKS ES Wagon Exhaust System: Scion xB 2004 - 2006

·
Registered
701 Posts
Where at you located (state)?
I ask because the xB community is pretty close knit and chances are someone most likely knows the previous owner and answer all your questions.
Great find btw, I'm sure there's quite a few here that'd like to trade you. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'v really thought about trying to sale it. But then I think, This could give me something else to do. I'm trying to sale my wilwood Brakes and rotors. Then I can go down to smaller wheels with more rubber for a more quite ride. Get the Front and back bumper fixed and then get this ECU/turbo looked at. After all that I think it's a pretty solid car.

I live in the Southern Ohio area and from the Car Fax it was bought in Michigan New. I'm thinking this is the person that did all the work. This person owned it for a few years only put 1500 miles on it. The 2nd/3rd owner did most of the driving. If the owner pops up that would be pretty sweet.

Again I'm not that fix all car guy. It has all this aftermarket suspension it. It's all aftermarket and i hear this popping when turning sometimes. So that's something else I'd have to figure out.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Keep the Wilwoods if you are going to tune the car. You have to be able to stop. If you do not like the ride, raise the car up and change the settings on the struts and shocks. I am going to guess that the previous owner has them turned to be as stiff as possible. Turn the dial to the middle and go from there. (I am pretty sure HKS has adjustable dampening). You could also switch to lowering springs and new struts/shocks then sell the HKS coil overs.

Check out OhioScions.com (if they are still operating) they may know more about the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not going to be doing any racing. I'd like to go down to a 15in wheel something like a 195/50/15. More rubber for a more quite ride. I can't do that with these big Brakes and rotors. But I am also looking for an Blow off value and a inter cooler. It will be tuned but I'm not racing. Just have it for show and when I may need the extra boost. No Track, No Sport Track, No Racing. It's going to be my daily....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts