Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm trying to finish up my car and I'm almost done w/ it just need a few things and im "done" (your never done when it comes to moding a car) so one of the little things that I'm finishing up on is the car audio, sofar I've got Pioneer flip out head unit, 2 7" monitors, 2 Rockford 15", 1 Rockford 1800w mono amp, and 1 sony Xpoled 800w for mids and highs, and an xbox(if it matters)... I'm thinking about getting just the front speakers the Alpine Type R My question to everyone here is what size cap do I need to power all my stuff?
Thanks j.t.

·
Registered
416 Posts
cap?

well honestly i woulnt say you need a cap at all... you aint drawing enough power from your battary instead of getting a cap i would get a yellowtop or kintic energy battary....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
misformartin said:
well honestly i woulnt say you need a cap at all... you aint drawing enough power from your battary instead of getting a cap i would get a yellowtop or kintic energy battary....
Not true, I only have an 800 watt amp and it makes my lights dim a little when i have it at my bump vol.(30 out of 50)

·
Registered
416 Posts
hmm....

well you have bigger problems than a cap is going to fix alot bigger problems... because i dont know what kind of amp you have... but if you didnt buy them from a flea market they should not be pulling enough juice to dim you lights... ... i have 2 amps that
do 1500 watts rms.... not to mention... a amp pulling 1000 watts rms for my
mids/high then my indash moniters and my headrests and my neons and my
lights dont dim.... all i have is a yellowtop... with a stock alt.. no cap hmm....
like i said maybe your having other issues than what a cap with fix
oh ya i also have the Big 3 done that help alot

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big_Kokujin said:
Not true, I only have an 800 watt amp and it makes my lights dim a little when i have it at my bump vol.(30 out of 50)
Yeah I haven't put in my other amp, and I have my 800W amp and the lights dim on mine and i have a perfectly good amp and set up

·
Registered
416 Posts
?

well then i guess that my car is magical..... and i have some sorta super electrical components in my car.... maybe thats what that extra 2 dollers a month on my payment is... cuz i have no dimming issues... or anything.. maybe you guys should try and go back to your dealers... and ask for them to cover it under warranty... and if they say that there is nothing wrong tell them about the situation i have with no dimming issues and ask ifyou can add the magical electrical and then just pay the extra 2 bucks a month on your payment....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude you dont have to be a dick about it i just asked a question... If you have to be a smart ass about it just don't bother to reply.

·
Registered
416 Posts
wow

wooooooow.... you cant be talking like that when the lion gets here!!!!!! well im sry for being a *PEEPEE* but if you want to fix the problem do it right the first time... buying a cap isnt going to do anything... its just a band aid for the problem... you want to do like i said... get a yellowtop and do the big 3 and you wont need a cap....my car doesnt have magical powers like i said i was just trying to show a point that if you listen to me you wont have dimming issues.... alright.... and you know maybe if you have audio equipment you should do some research and know a little before you buy it to be sure you dont get ripped off and buy stupid shat that you dont need like a cap....but thats just my opinion.... its like buying a car without researching the product you just dont do it.... check some other forums and they will all tell you the same thing that i am www.caraudio.com and www.sounddomain.com... ask them about caps and what you should do and then you can consider what im telling you to be sweet.. they will rip you a new one... so do what you with go take all your Crap audiobahn equipment and buy a cap.... like best buy said you needed alright
thx

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
1 Farad for every 1000watts

·
Registered
16 Posts
A cap is just a bandaid. Any good quality Amp is going make the lights Dim because our cars only have a 70Amp alternator. And that rockford amp you have is going pull about half of that so what you really want to do to get every bit of power you are paying for is an Alternator then a battery

·
Registered
172 Posts
May I suggest an Xstatic Bat Cap? They are a combination Battery/cap built into a standard battery housing. You simply put the batcap in place of your stock battery. No extra wiring or space required to mount a seperate cap.

Here's a link.

http://www.batcap.net/

·
Registered
172 Posts
I posted some misinformation. I was thinking of another product that's a battey/capacitor comination... Lemme see if I can find it. The batcap however is an excellent choice for your system!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Everyone needs to listen to misformartin. Caps are just a bandaid fix for a larger problem. If you are running a system that is making your lights flicker, you have a BIGGER problem. Replace your battery with a quality yellow top and upgrade your alt. Thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read that just upgrading the battery to a yellow top and upgrading the Big 3 will be just fine, but if that is still not much you should add a new alternator.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Amplifiers making the headlights dim all depends on how the power supplies are in the amps. Supposedly 1 farad for every 1K watts, but who can say for sure you need it, yes cap discharge their energy faster than the battery ever will and that is why they are recomended, that way when lot of current is needed the cap can discharge faster than the battery.

And YES caps can be stacked, in order to gain more storage of FARADS you would wire the caps in parallel, connect all the positives to the plus side of the batt and all the negatives to ground, be very carfull, heres a breif discussion on it. USE the search function in GOOGLE.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_13/4.html

One more factor, these alternators we have are TINY!!!! A HIGHER CURRENT alternator would fix the dimming issues, because of you battery is being fed plenty of current then the amp wont drain the battery so bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.