Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 dash lights came on and I took the car to Autozone for the code. Trouble code P0171 came up. Anyone know what I should do/check first? Thanks

Oh, and is it bad if I keep driving it normally?

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
Glad this thread is still open! Thought I'd share a discovery I found yesterday when I got a code P0171 myself. For years I've had my purge valve mounted on my strut bar after going to a short ram intake. Yesterday I removed the strut bar to install a header and left the purge valve just supported by it's vacume hoses. During the header install, it moved into a horizontal position. I kept getting a code P0171 that would return after only about 5 miles of driving. Once I discovered that the purge valve had moved and restored it to it's original position; no more codes. Long story made short; keep the purge valve in an upright position!

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
Shortly after my last post to this thread, the P0171 code started to return, but just as you have said never while driving, but only at idle at a light. Even drove over 100 miles on the freeway with no problems, but got the code again about 5 miles after getting back on surface streets. Can't find any trace of a vacuum leak, so I've come to suspect one of the injectors is not working correctly at low demand. Usually don't trust "miracles in a can" type cures, but I've added Redline fuel system cleaner at the last fill-up. Only driven about a quarter tank since then, but the code seems to be reoccurring less frequently, but is still happening. I'll report back at the end of this tank. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
thanks, last time I had this I cleaned my MAF sensor and added couple cans of seafoam to tank fills and it cleared up. that was about 100,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Update: was getting the PO171 code primarily and occasional PO441 and PO455 with it (not always). It would give a fit when trying to start after filling up the tank also. I cleaned my MAF again, replaced PCV, air filter, and went through a can of Seafoam fuel treatement and two bottles of Lucas fuel additive over course of couple weeks and last Friday lights stay off. I liked to top off and may have done to much once so I made sure not to top off excessively anymore either. maybe dirty injector or vapor lock that cleared up? anyhow, no longer getting codes so all is good again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts