Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my Monroe 5870's. All was good, until I carried 3 other people with me and bottomed out the whole way to the movie theatre.

This has to stop, it was a HUGE mistake getting the Monroe's, as they're too soft, and when you carry things or people, it is just too easy to bottom out.

So as of now, I need to change them out. I was thinking of replacing the rear with some Koni's, but then realized that I could get a set of new TRD shocks and struts from TRDSparks.com for only $100 more than getting 2 of the koni's.

If you have the TRD Shocks/Struts...how do you like them? What are you lowered on? Any issues with bottoming out whilst carrying things or people?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Did you ever carry the same three people on the same road as you did this time with the stock shocks?

Also, I wouldn't have gotten the 5870 for only a 2" or less drop. You should have gone with the 5987. You might want to try ordering a set of the 5987 and selling your 5870 first. Then if you still don't like those order up the TRD or Koni setup. And keep in mind that there are always people looking to buy the 5870 and 5987 Monroes. You shouldn't have any trouble unloading them if you don't like them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2" drop, and I had the same 3 people on all stock shocks and no problems at all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
quick question about this...

the TRD spring vs the stock ones...are they the same rate, but just lower the car?

im looking to see what im gonna do when i buy the xb...obviously i want the drop, but not a hasher ride...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
TRD is a drop, but not really. 1" is hardly noticeable. Df210's are the way to go, saves you money in the long run. You will always want to go lower. I've been thru Tein S-Techs and now to Df210's but now want to go even lower, but only way to safely go lower is Coil overs.

Only thing good about getting the TRD's is, you can always sell them to a noob once you take them off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
well the prob for me is i live in chicago area...and too low of a drop turns the vehicle into an automatic snow plow...i delt with that on my other show car that i dropped too low...with a front ground effects kit on it...i wont be doing that again...but technically, u didnt answer my ?...is the spring rate the same for the trd's as it is for the stocks?...just a drop lower though?...cause i dont want to have to worry about taking people in the xb...but not compromise the ride quality when people are in it or out of it...

plus i have a 128 lbs akita and if the ride is too bouncy for him in the back seat...he will have a problem trying to hold himself up...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've ridden in my friends car which is dropped on TRD Springs and shocks, and the spring rate has to be different. The ride seems more compliant, yet it handles better than stock.

Oh, and no....no new top hats are provided.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've ridden in my friends car which is dropped on TRD Springs and shocks, and the spring rate has to be different. The ride seems more compliant, yet it handles better than stock.

Oh, and no....no new top hats are provided.
compliant?...what the heck do you mean by that?...its a more forcefull suspension, or the ride is softer?...cause that makes no sense...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.