Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am starting to look at a muffler for my box. i wanted one that is not too loud or too big. also i dont want to ruin the warranty on the car. i started to look at the trd muffler. the dealer sells it for $399. wtf!!! trdusa.com sells it for around 300. does anyone have this muffler? was it easy to install with common hand tools?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If you want quiet, but nice, and a really sweet looking exhaust, one of the tanabe models is what you're looking for. and no, it won't ruin your warranty. Magnusson vs. moss act protects us.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
the greddy evo2 is such a deep rich throaty sound mmm when i think about it i just wanna...

boobmox, enlighten me about magnusson and moss

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
i have the trd axle back... install is simple, the only thing that a had trouble with was those rubber hangers... other then that it was fairly simple. it is a bit quite to my taste so i decided to replace that stock res. with a magnaflow one and 2.25 in piping and it sounds much better.

i would also like to get a better understanding of magnusson vs. moss...

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
oh man, pork chops and green beans with apple sauce. hell yea!!

i suppose we could google the case, but i recall boobmox baing a lazy turd on me once and making me link him to a thread so were gonna wait for him on this one. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont want a muffler that everyone can hear me coming down the street. i just need a muffler that wont ruin the warranty, not too loud, but can fill up the ugly gap on the rear bumper. is the trd a bolt on muffler? or was welding required? i'd also like to know about this magnusson case.....

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
those little rubber hangers... if you take some break lube or some vaseline (which i know you ALL have laying around your house) to the holes and lube em up a little , then just push them on to the hangar bar. i dropped pipe on the road once and had to spit on the rubber hole to get it back into place. those are tough to penetrate dry... dry socketing them doesnt work no matter how angry you are... lol ok ok ok

so the exhaust systems you see for sale online and such for xB are all a direct bolt on system you can do with ordinary hand tools. and none of them should take long at all to install. no you just need to pick one with a tone you like

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone heard the Borla cat back exhaust?
I had one on my '01 focus and it sounded awesome, not too loud.

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
i had a borla on my prelude. that muffler sounded very deep. it wasnt the full exhaust tho. i think there is a thread floating around here somewhere with sound clips of different mufflers. or am i mistaken for a diff. forum?

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
lol i had an 01 focus... end of story

i dont believe theres a thread devoted to the sound clips but there are a few sound bites here and there on different exhaust systems

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Blitz Nurspec, it looks and sounds great. Not at all loud, no droning either. Don't even notice it much til you step on the gas. Never obnoxious sounding.

·
3,453 Posts
Taken straight from Injen's website. You can even google this for much more information:

12. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fraudulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is notcovered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law. Ct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's -Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
ahh i knew about the way they had to prove that it was the fault of the aftermarket park that caused something to fail in order to deny warranty coverage. and now i know where that is from, and its a legal thing. thank you kind sir.

·
3,453 Posts
Nooooooooo problem. All you have to do when they deny service because of something like that is to know the details of the original case and a few other things about 'the law' and they usually pipe down.

never ever make a scene though, they're likely to screw you in the end after the warranty repair.

Anyways, back to exhausts. If you're looking for best bang performance from just an axleback, TPR did a review and the JIC magic bullet had the highest HP gain.... However, I'm a torque guy, and the Blitz exhaust peaked my interest.

·
Deutschland
171 Posts
those little rubber hangers... if you take some break lube or some vaseline (which i know you ALL have laying around your house) to the holes and lube em up a little , then just push them on to the hangar bar. i dropped pipe on the road once and had to spit on the rubber hole to get it back into place. those are tough to penetrate dry... dry socketing them doesnt work no matter how angry you are... lol ok ok ok

so the exhaust systems you see for sale online and such for xB are all a direct bolt on system you can do with ordinary hand tools. and none of them should take long at all to install. no you just need to pick one with a tone you like
Soap and water will work fine too. If you use grease or vaseline, that stuff will not dry out,
and can cause the hangers to slip out, or come loose. :eek:
Soap and water will dry out after use. ;)

·
Deutschland
171 Posts
i am starting to look at a muffler for my box. i wanted one that is not too loud or too big. also i dont want to ruin the warranty on the car. i started to look at the trd muffler. the dealer sells it for $399. wtf!!! trdusa.com sells it for around 300. does anyone have this muffler? was it easy to install with common hand tools?
TRD is nice and easy to install too, even I can doit. ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
The car I test drove at the dealer had a TRD on it, it was like you described quite and fills the whole. There is just two reasons I can't mount that on my box
1. TRD makes me giggle cause it reminds me of TuRD, so no TRD parts for me
2. $300 to much for a axle back that is mostly cosmetic with little to no HP gains

My favorite is the Stillen, I love it and not many people have it cause it's hard to find adding a unique favor to the box. Plus it's deep (as much as this little fellow can be :) )and still not annoying loud to others. I hate noise pollution!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.