Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired bB Enthusiast
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked me about my hitch, which prompted me to post a new thread. Technically, towing a trailer with a FWD car is a bad idea. I don't tow anything, nor do I recommend doing it. The reason I have a hitch is to haul my bike around. It's a class one so it's really not made for towing in the first place. I bought a Thule hitch mounted bike rack. The reason I went this route is because I didn't want to destroy my interior by putting my bike inside the xb and I didn't want the aerodynamic drag and clutter of a roof rack. I like the clean look of the xb's roof. I do realize that when I lower my car the hitch may become a problem. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that, but I am going to explore shortening the distance the hitch hangs down so that it can be hidden behind the bumper. This will require some modification to the bumper as well, but I will worry about that when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
No I just saw it.

Some do trailer. I believe that there was one who had a trailer. The problem is not going, its stopping.

·
Retired bB Enthusiast
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I just saw it.

Some do trailer. I believe that there was one who had a trailer. The problem is not going, its stopping.

Well, you asked me if that was a trailer hitch under there. That's asking about it, isn't it? lol!

Anyway, back on the topic. I bought this from a hitch outlet in Wisconsin. They had a Class 2 set that came with the hitch, a wiring harness, draw bar, and ball mount. I didn't get that because I didn't plan on doing any real towing. I also believe that there a hitch kits available on eBay.

·
Registered
237 Posts
so where did you get it installed and how much. I got a quote from uhual and they said they can do it for 180 i believe. I am going to be moving so i need a tow hitch for my Motorcycle. Not going to use it everyday obviously but i want to get it done for ocasional use only.

·
Retired bB Enthusiast
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so where did you get it installed and how much. I got a quote from uhual and they said they can do it for 180 i believe. I am going to be moving so i need a tow hitch for my Motorcycle. Not going to use it everyday obviously but i want to get it done for ocasional use only.
I bought it from a place in Wisconsin called Top Ten Hitch. They have an eBay store. It took forever to arrive, they have slow shipping. It's really easy to put on yourself. All I had to do was take off the factory tow hooks, drop the rear section of the exhaust down, and bolt the hitch up above the exhaust in teh place of the tow hooks. Then you reconnect the exhaust to the factory hanger and your good to go. It took about 45 minutes to do. I bought a class 1 but they do have class 2's available. The class one has a 200lb tongue weight limit and a 2000lb pull weight limit. For a motorcycle, a class 2 might be a better bet.

·
Retired bB Enthusiast
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats a dope bike... what kind is it? i picked up a fit team for pump track duty
That's a Fly 3 Amigos frame, Kink Freebird bars, Odyssey Race forks, S&M XLT stem... Well you get the idea. It's expsensive, we'll put it that way. I don't race or anything, it's a park/street bike. I do have an old Schwinn Little 500 with direct drive that I ride to stay in shape. You got a roof rack on your xB?

·
Registered
679 Posts
sweet! i saw dans was blowing out those frames and i almost picked one up until i priced out how much it would have cost to build one up how i wanted... yup, roof rack on my xb since i primarily ride mountain bikes

·
Retired bB Enthusiast
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet! i saw dans was blowing out those frames and i almost picked one up until i priced out how much it would have cost to build one up how i wanted... yup, roof rack on my xb since i primarily ride mountain bikes
How hard is it getting your bike up and down from your roof? And what was the installation like? I'm thinking of lowering my xB and I don't know if I want a roof rack or not, I like having a smooth roof.

·
Registered
679 Posts
its not a big deal, bmx bikes are so small that you can just throw it up top... my mountain bike in my avatar is another story... you will see a reduction in gas mileage tho, not sure if that is something you want to deal with. Since you already have the hitch rack, go with it but just watch out on those driveways if you lower your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.