Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
xscionB said:
Has anyone heard of putting a trailer hitch on a box? I am wanting to buy a jet ski, and lack the money to buy a ski and a new truck.:(

So, Do you guys think XB can pull a trailer and jets ski???

'Coz im planning to pull a Quad and ATVs

thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
xB's are geared low enough to tow some weight the only thing holding you back is suspension and frame limits.

I bet you could get a nice class 1 hitch for the xB and that will give you the ability to tow VERY light trailers like a single ATV or jet-ski setup. Also those cool little campers like in that thread.

·
Registered
336 Posts
haha thats crazy i wanted to rent a jet ski this weekend to go to the river and i was thinking about asking the same question but everyone told me my car is to low :( i dont wanna mess up my fab kit and i cant afford a truck what can i do now :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
xscionB said:
so i guess it would work...:confused:

A Sea Doo GTI SE weighs 747# (dry) probably close to 850# with a full gas tank and other fluids, a jet ski trailer with a 850# capacity will weigh 145#.

That is a total of 995# - lets call it a 1/2 ton.

I wouldn't do it but it's your xB and there are people who tell me what I'm doing is wrong also because Scion says NO TOWING.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I've seen the guy from scion image tow a trailer along time ago but he had bags back then. If you have an auto watch your trans temp!

·
Registered
69 Posts
xscionB said:
so, do or don't? what if i upgrade my exhaust and intake?
This kind of thinking is exactly why Scion does not give a tow rating in the USA. It is not more power that you need it is less weight.

The engine, transmission and brakes are the same as the Toyota Echo which also had no tow rating in the USA, but it did have a rating of 660# in Australia.
The vehicle is not manufactured to tow high weights and adding more power is not going to fix that - you need to pull but you also need to stop. You also need a hitch mounting location that has been engineered to withstand the rated weight.

Think about reducing weight! Perhaps something like either of these:

Kawasaki Jet Ski® 800 SX-R - Dry weight 351#

Yamamha Waverunner 2006 SuperJet - Dry weight 291#

·
Registered
69 Posts
xscionB said:
So what is being said is exactly what i was thinking... would upgrading my brakes help with the problem?
It would help, would it provide a safe tow vehicle for what you want to tow - I don't know. I think I have provided you with all the help that I can, I don't know how a modified xB will perform towing the kind of weight that you have planned.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
198 Posts
imho.. even if you upgraded your brakes,cooling and so on, I would not try to excede the weight limits of the aussie spec's.
keep in mind that you do not have an American style/type of frame holding the xB together, you could pull the underpinnings and welds apart just from stress...this is not a good thing me thinks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
just buy a nice clean 92-95 landcruiser and use that for towing and hauling whatever gear you have. Well my 92 serves me very well with 150k on the clock. I wouldnt tow anything with my scion even If I could well unless it was a complete emergency.

·
Registered
85 Posts
660 pounds or kilos

Hello Shoobox, where did you get the figure of 660# for the Australian Toyota Echo? Are you sure it's not 660 kilos, that would be about 1500 US pounds? There are many small cars that are rated at 1500 pounds. As far as a brake upgrade goes, I would never waste any money on the brakes, all they do is slow you down. LOL :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.