Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 xB which I bought back in July and the traction control never really has worked (or at least I don't think that it does). I kind of noticed that it wasn't doing much at first, but my thoughts were that it really doesn't do much unless it "really" spins like when the roads are slippery. Well anyway, I've had many oportunities to test it out and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if the botton is on or off. Now here is my dilema, my wife tried talking to the stealership and they tried convincing her that there is nothing wrong with it and if there WAS something wrong with it then the CEL light would be on. They also said that the wheels would spin if the roads are wet! What kind of traction control is that! Anywho, I have off tomorrow and I may have to go up to the service department and knock some heads around. Does anyone out there have traction control that works? Is this a known "problem"? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I have, and trust me, it works.

Basically, when your tires spin, this light blinks, and the computer adjusts the rpms....Really, it does. I just drove home in slipper snow, and that's exactly what it does every time.

You may not notice it because you mash on the pedal more when the system kicks in to compensate so they keep spinning....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it did nothing of the sort (no blinking light or anything). In fact, I could practically sit there and spin all day if I wanted to! One of my concerns is that I want to take it to Canada and upper N.Y. (I'm from N.Y. and my wife's from Canada so we go up that way quite often) and I'm kind of scared to with all the crappy weather up there lately (and no traction control). I'm taking it to the dealer. Thanks a lot man.

·
Registered
199 Posts
when its on it will flash teh yellow squiggly lines on the dash cluster, mine goes off all the time, even if I take a corner too fast under acceleration, or if I start off with a lot of gas from a stop.. it will flicker for a moment until traction is the same on both wheels. of course I'm running stock tires... in deep snow I've had it where it slows the car to a stop cause of so much spinning, thats when you have to turn the button off. cause in deep snow you want some spinning to move...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I set mine off all the time, and it works. I shut mine off a lot because I like to really drive hard sometimes. Do you drive a stick? If so, rev up to around 3k and dump the clutch and slam the gas down, if the traction Control doesn't kick in, you have problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry to sound like such a fool, but you guys are right! I just took it for a spin, and I got that stability control light (or whatever it is) to come on. I guess that I've never noticed it before, especially since I normally drive it during the daytime (when I actually do drive it - I drive my Spec-V a lot more). Gosh though, that traction control doesn't seem to do that much. I could barely notice it. I guess that they have refined traction control in the past few years (if you consider that a refinement!) because most of the other vehicles that I've driven with traction control really bog down and seem like they're running out of gas or something when it kicks in. It's hard to "really" get it to spin when the roads are dry. I hard to punch it while taking a sharp turn to get it going a little. I want to see how it does it in the ice and snow though. Thanks a lot dudes!:)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The VSC is not the same as Traction control, traction control makes the tires stop spinning. VSC is for tip over. but if there is a problem you should have a DUMMY light one, because a code was thrown. If your worried about it take it in to a dealer.

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Well guy's I don't know about you but we had some rain here oh say a couple
weeks ago and the damm car had a mind of it's own. Pulled one way then the
other, Holy crap I finally found the dash button to turn it off and it drove just
fine. Once I found some dry land the I turned it back on but not until then.
It felt like an LSD unit gone wild. Had the wife been driving .................. :mad:
Glad she wasn't.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Gosh though, that traction control doesn't seem to do that much. I could barely notice it.
Well it's not an LSD, lol.... I'm just playin, I know it doesn't do much, but it does let you know you don't have traction....If you couldn't tell from the now rudders your sterring has become...

most of the other vehicles that I've driven with traction control really bog down and seem like they're running out of gas or something when it kicks in.
Remember, it's a 108 hp car. If it bogs down too quick you're likely to stall the motor, lol.

It's a pretty good system and I really like it, it let's me know when I need to let up, and I'll say, because of it, I can drive more aggressively and know when I need to consider things. I think of the TC system as more of a.....trainer, if you wanna call it that. lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
I usually find that the tcs kicks in relatively easy and it is pretty sensitive. It should kick in and you will feel the brakes pulsating to try to gain traction be slowing the wheels down. hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.