Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at barnes and noble yesterday and was browsing through the car magazines and i came across this magazine tpr (Tuner Performance Reports), never heard of it before but they had a rundown of some of the popular exhausts for our cars.

they did a baseline dyno and a dyno with each exhaust
the list of exhausts were JIC, Espelir, Blitz, Strup, Thermal R&D catback, Magnaflow Catback, and Borla Catback.

out of the axlebacks it seems the JIC performed the best with about a +1 hp and +2 torque gain but its interesting to see that in the lower half of the rpm range there were steady +4 gains then tapering off as it went up the rpg range. The other axlebacks had negligible gains and the catbacks performed simliar to the JIC.

just thought that was interesting.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you have the magazine, you should post up all the results of the shoot out. At least the peak gain, and at what rpm it occured. It would be great if we could see plotted dyno graphs as well.

I checked their website, but there was no mention of the article you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Did they have pics and comments about the Thermal exhaust? I used to have one on my Accord and it sounded great, I just have no idea about the xB one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
here are the numbers unfortunately you'll have to find the magazine or wait till they post this month's issue next month on the tpr website if you want to see the graph.

they ran the dynos of all the exhausts after installing a k&n intake

baseline before intake 93.86 Max Power 98.61 Max Torque
with intake 97.42 Max Power 102.77 Max Torque

judging by the time stamps on the graphs it looks like they did the baseline run about 2 minutes after the dyno with intake and got 96.96 whp and 100.53 tq, this is the dyno run from which the exhaust dynos are compared.

JIC - 97.71 whp 102.23 tq
Blitz - 96.37 whp 100.10 tq
Espelir - 97.33 whp 100.91 tq
Strup - 97.57 whp 100.42 tq
Power Enterprise - 97.41 whp 100.90 tq

Thermal R&D catback - 98.31 whp 102.52 tq
Borla catback - 98.10 whp 102.04 tq
Magnaflow catback - 98.31 whp 102.27 tq

the time stamps indicate that the dynos were performed within 20-25 mins of each other for the axlebacks. The catbacks were performed 4 days later, the borla dyno was performed 1 hour 7 min after the thermal, and the magnaflow was dyno'd 44 minutes after the borla. i listed them in their turn on the dyno.

its hard to tell just from these numbers because those are peaks. the actual graph is more informative because you can see where the power gains are and how much you gain in the entire range of the rpm spectrum rather than just the peak numbers.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
Thanks

and i have the JIC magic bullet i just love the low growl when ya get on it :)
hope i get to here it again soon :(

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
^^ I wanna hear it too!

It's pretty sweet that one of the magazines FINALLY put something out like this. I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting for published numbers on stuff, but no-one ever seemed to want to touch the box. Kinda sucks if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey I purchased the mag today and I will try and scan in some graphs, but with the resolution limit we will see. I like the graph of the magniflow and even better the thermal.

The best news is on the intake page "stay tuned next issue when we take a look at the aftermarket header install"

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its about time a damn tuner magazine gave us something.
always the honda civics now it looks like the honda fit is taking its place with all the magazine dynos and diy.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Awesome make sure to get some pics and sound clips. I have never heard one on an xB. Also where did you get it from?

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I am buying it used since they no longer make it for the xB. A friend of mine is putting his soon to be x's xb back to stock. That is why I am selling the trd short shifter kit, sold the pulley and am also getting a gtech strut bar.

I may get the injen intake, and swap out the trd springs for tein s-techs. Although I am worried about being to low with the JP kit on my car.

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
It all looks good and all but with our computers is this a learning thing?
It seems like they should reset the computer and do at least 5+ drive cycles to get a true test.

I could be wrong

Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.