Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

The TPMS light came on this weekend. The light blinked several times and then turned on. Based on my research, this tells me one of the sensors is bad. I took the car to Discount Tire and filled air up to 35 psi per tire. The light continued to blink and then was static even after filling up the tires with air.

Discount Tire told me it would be $60 per sensor and recommends I change all 4. No way am I going to spend that kind of money and pretty sure I can get a set of 4 cheaper on EBay.

Have any of you run into this problem, and if so, did you end up changing the sensors? Some have said not to worry and just monitor the air in the tires weekly or so. I don’t mind doing this but afraid if I car would pass inspection or not (I live in a state that requires it).

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
batteries are dead and the module is trying to contact the dead when light is flashing then stays on solid when it fails. Mine are dead in my tacoma and doing same thing. Not jacking with it until time for new tires. that light will not fail your inspection.....in TX. Just have to live dangerously like everyone has before tpms was a thing and just check our tires yourself or drive thru tire place and have them do it....or replace them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses. Is it best to replace all 4 or should I replace just that one? Also, can I get them off EBay or do I need to purchase them somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would only get some off ebay if you know the oem part number for yours and yes, might as well do all 4 because it will act the same way if not able to talk to all 4 sensors. You can use VIN on oem parts place like Genuine OEM Toyota Parts and Accessories Online - Toyota Parts Deal and will be cheaper than walking into a local dealership. You can also use that site to find out the part number to search elsewhere for possible better deal. That site I linked pretty much has the best oem prices online as any other.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Put in 2009 XB TPMS on that site and they wanted $66 for each oem one that will be good for 10years or more but found the same part number on ebay. 4 for $130...

Working off part number 42607-33012 which came up for 2009 xB. Mine is 2004 so I don not have TPMS.

Betting the ones from Discount tire are the knockoff ones you will see on ebay using that number above that are 5 yr warranty and $50 a set of 4. There ya go, options

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

The TPMS light came on this weekend. The light blinked several times and then turned on. Based on my research, this tells me one of the sensors is bad. I took the car to Discount Tire and filled air up to 35 psi per tire. The light continued to blink and then was static even after filling up the tires with air.

Discount Tire told me it would be $60 per sensor and recommends I change all 4. No way am I going to spend that kind of money and pretty sure I can get a set of 4 cheaper on EBay.

Have any of you run into this problem, and if so, did you end up changing the sensors? Some have said not to worry and just monitor the air in the tires weekly or so. I don’t mind doing this but afraid if I car would pass inspection or not (I live in a state that requires it).

Thank you.

I have three Toyota vehicles, a 2010 Tundra, 2009 xB, and a 2013 Lexus RX350, ...In the past five years I have replaced one TPMS sensor on each one of the vehicles. I prefer replacing them individually as they fail. The tire shops that I use charge between $65 to $85 for a new sensor install which includes a TRW sensor.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm just starin at the yellow light in my 08 Tacoma until new tires become necessity then will replace all 4 then.......beyond ten years is borrowed time and one at a time seems like playing wak a mole.......but to each their own. No issue in the 04 xB. Have to manually check pressures on occasion like in pioneer days. Got a plug kit and a compressor and even a spare if it ever comes to that.

·
Registered
2013 Gen2
10 Posts
Thank you for the responses. Is it best to replace all 4 or should I replace just that one? Also, can I get them off EBay or do I need to purchase them somewhere else?

Did you check out the pressure on your spare tire? I would buy a tire pressure gauge until you need tires. My light is on all winter because my snow tires don’t have sensors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts