Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think I would have a problem towing a Suzuki Vinson 500 ATV on a 5 x 10 trailer behind an XB?? I wouldn't need to do it a lot but from time to time. I am asking because I am more worried about torching my transmission or something. The ATV weighs about 600 lbs and the trailer is not heavy at all. I can move the trailer no problem by hand when its empty. I would guess no more than 700 - 800 lbs total. Anybody think I would have a problem towing this from time to time??

·
Registered
361 Posts
do you have an auto or manual?
but I'd say if you have an auto you might want to invest in an extra trans oil cooler. excessive heat is the enemy of autos.
but if you dont tow it very far or up into the mountains you'll probally be ok without the cooler. I mean, you might be ok anyway. but I'd get one if I was planning on towing anything with my lil xb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have an auto. Any idea if a trans cooler would be hard to hook up to an XB or not? Do they make a trans cooler kit for XB's or is it something I would have to fabricate and rig to work?

·
Registered
361 Posts
well I know they have oil coolers that bolt on. you can use one of those and just hook it up to the tranny lines that go to the radiator, probally in line so you can still utilize the radiator cooler too. that would be the easiest I'd say...
some thing like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERF...015QQitemZ250056838391QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWthis seems a little pricey but I'd say you could find something cheaper if you look around a bit.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tow a Teardrop trailer that weighs about 675# with a manual trans and have had no problems. The 800# is pushing the edge of the envelope that much more. I wouldn't be as concerned about the towing part providing you manualy downshift anytime the auto trany is shifting in and out of gear. I would worry more about STOPPING - you need to develop different driving habits.
Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not really toaster,

Think, there are 5 seat belts, if you load 4 adults at 200lbs each your at 800lbs. There is still a belt for another, maybe not room but a belt.

800lbs is not much if you add stuff up.
Now my "fat chicks" comment was a joke, I'm 6'4" skinny as a rail, but still weigh 220, plus my wife @ 120, then my kid @ 40 with car seat ~60.
I'm at ~400 lbs for people plus groceries, luggage, or what ever else gets crammed in their daily.

My point is you most likely carry that much weight around not thinking of it already. So as long as you don't load the inside full, the trailer will be no problem. You start pushing the envelope when you do the trailer, plus inside car “stuff.”

Just be aware that the driver, passengers, stuff, plus the trailer all need to be taken into account when deciding whether or not to trailer with the box.

Cheers

·
Wawazat?
189 Posts
I was kiddin' too. I was doing fat chick math...
800 lbs / couple of fat chicks = 400 lbs/chick!

I have often said it take a real man to sleep with a 400 pounder. Any guy will sleep with someone like Jennifer Aniston or Selma Hayek!:D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
YOu think a xB would pull another xB on a tow bar??? Not the type that the front wheels are up on a dollie but where you pull the second car via a bumper mounted tow bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.