Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put my wheels back on they are 17x7 +42 wrapped in falken ziex 215/45/17s

i used hubcentric spacers that fit snug torqued the lugs to 78 ft-lbs retorqued them after 100 miles.

at higher speeds at about 80mph it rides fine but at lower speeds i hit any uneven pavement and the steering wheel jerks left and right all over the place like i'm fighting someone for control.

is this normal?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah, it's the horrible 'track' the suspension has. We just kinda have to live with it. It was all over the reports when the cars first came out, that and torque steer where people's biggest complaints.

I recently went from a 17x7 to a 15x8 and I can tell you that I have very little problem now with that sorta stuff.

Also, are your tires Directional? If so, make sure they're all on the corresponding sides.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they're directional i made sure i put them on right, i hear they can blow up at highway speeds if put the other way.

i think i remmeber someone saying that its the width of the tires thats causing that? wouldnt an 8" inch width wheel make it worse? i only ask because with the stock steelies i didnt have any problems and they are pretty narrow wheels.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
yea i remember hearing something about the width of the tire doing that too. im running a 17x7 and i fight the same invisible person for wheel control. my tires grab every line in the road. you wouldnt think that 1/2 in wider wheels would make that much of a difference over the stock 6.5 width. maybe ill go back to some 15s with pillow like tires.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Ohhh ummm "surf city local" put some end link bushing on his and he said it really improved that. Pretty cheap if I remember. Do a search for it. Or the man can descend upon this thread with his blessings and tell us.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah, the new bushings stiffen things up. I'm going to do it when I can. Though I will stick with my statement from before that the 17x7 was worse than the 15x8, but the stock steelies at 15x6(.5?) were worse for me than the 17x7.....Follow?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I TOLD YOU PEOPLE!!!!!

I remember a few threads where people complained about their xB suddenly pulling to one side or another and they were on custom wheels and I told people over and over it's the design of the steering system and it is affected greatly by wheel and tire size.

Everyone said NAWWWW, thats not it, go get your car aligned.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
dont foget

the low profile tires have little or no sidewall flex in any width so more of the steering/tracking is transfered to the steering wheel. with more sidewall some of that ghost grabbing the wheel outta my hands is absorbed by sidewall flex.
;) ;) ;) the 15x8 would feel better than others cauz it has width and sidewall for even more flex.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Sidewall has little to do with tracking, as the width of the tire is the most important aspect here. 215 tires will track more(make your car wonder and follow the pavement) that 205. As far as bushings and other suspension components that wear at faster rate with aftermarket wheels (like tie-rod ends, wheel bearings, ball joints): they wear so gradually that it is really hard to notice the decrease in ride quality. But once you've replaced the worn out component you will be amazed how comfortable the car feels again. Every xB with 17 in tires that i've driven had the most annoying bearing noise. I have not seen worn out bushings or balljoints on anything with less than 60K miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts