Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of having 3M film all over the front my car, but searching the net I have found that you can purchase just about any level of protection. Whether it is the entire front of the vehicle or just the front bumper cover.

I'm seriously thinking about having a professional install 3M clear bra protection just on my front bumper. Thats where most of the chips will occur.

This way I am protecting my bumper, spending very little money (I can probably buy the bumper cover sheet for $75 or less plus installation), and am not taking that big of a risk.

If there is a risk at all...??

Some people have told me to stay away from 3M. These attitudes probably just stemmed from their own personal experiences, or word of mouth.

Anyway, what do you guys think? What have you done to keep the front of your baby looking new?

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
PM Jim (clear_bra_guy). He's pretty versed on it, has done quite a few vehicles in my area, and has been doing tinting for at least 20 years. He and I know some of the same people in the industry.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A friend of mine up in Maine had his done with 3M. He did more than just the bumper andif I remember it was pretty costly. If you want, I'll have him contact you. Let me know.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
admin said:
i wonder if you can 3m film your carbon fiber hood so it stays shiney for years to come ?
Yep, that's why Brian (dewmerz) had his done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mc1200s.... I had the "X-Pel" brand of clear film put on my Yellow xB, and I am very happy with the results and the protection that it gives me. I had it done by a "Factory Trained" tech in New Hampshire, but they have installers all over the country, or you could order the kit from them and do-it-yourself if you should decide that you want the protection.

Here is the website of X-Pel....

http://www.xpel.com/?locale=%2Fproducts%2Fshop.asp%3F

I had the complete kit installed... (bumper(s), hood, mirror housings), and many people have been unable to detect it.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be affraid of messing it up.

I work in a lab, and we have teflon tape which covers our benches/hoods/counters.

I can never do a clean job of laying that stuff. I always have bubbles and it appears as if a 4th grader did the work.

I have a feeling that the same would happen to my paint protection.

I have heard that it is expensive, however, when searching ebay I have found kits that are somewhat inexpensive.

such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scio...50457QQitemZ8036521648QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

or the more expensive

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scio...50457QQitemZ8036521607QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Material
3M Scotchgard 8mil Paint Protection Film
Package Type
Standard
Coverage
Hood Front, Side Mirrors, Fenders VS the more expensive kit Hood Front, Side Mirrors, Fenders, Front Bumper
Dimension
Hood Front is up to 18"
Warranty
5 Years Unlimited Miles
Bonus Free Installation Video CD ($9.99 Value)

I dont want all of this, although I may have to purchase it.
I would hope that a dealer would be able to order me just the front bumper. That is all I want. I dont see why it would cost anymore than $75 that front bumper cover and any more than one hour of installation.

I will take everyones advice and ask around before I make any decisions.
I really dont want to be raped on a puchase.
I just want affordable front bumper protection. I figure that the less 3M I have the less noticable it will be.

Thanks for all the replies. I would do the same for you guys--if I had the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I felt the same way as you as far as doing it myself with the film... I just didn't want to take any chances with mistakes or bubbles, etc.

I took the liberty of running a St. Louis zip code through X-Pel's website and came up with the following installers...

X-Pel St. Louis Area Dealers

St. Louis Clear Bra, LLC (Factory Trained)
405 Nottingham Drive
Ballwin, MO 63011
314-853-8539

Clear Solutions, Inc. (Factory Trained)
1505 Jungerman Rd.
St. Peters, MO 63376
314-497-1337

Mahan Auto Detailing (Factory Trained)
406 James
Girard, IL 62640
217-627-3442

Extreme Paint Protection (Factory Trained)
Mobile Service
West Plains, MO 65775
417-257-4159

ProTech Paint Protectant Film L.L.C. (Factory Trained)
2946 E. Eastwood
Springfield, MO 65804
417-861-6319

When I had mine done, I had the

1.) Hood, Fender, & Mirror Kit

2.) Bumper Kit

The whole job (material & installation),was $600... I know that it is pricey, but I like the protection that it gives me. (Just the material was almost $400.)

I had previously checked with my car insurance company and asked the following question...

"If my xB should ever be backed into, or be in any sort of head-on collision, would the cost and installation of the X-Pel be covered in the insurance claim?"

The claims adjuster at the insurance company said that it would indeed be covered, (as long as I had a receipt that the service was performed), so that is a load off my mind as far as if the front end should ever receive a fender-bender.

Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
helpful information.

You did all the work for me so to speak.

I will also make sure I mention the paint protection to my insurance company.
I would have never thought of that.

Once again, thank you!

·
Registered
281 Posts
if you think about it you pay that to repain the hood mirro and front bumper or maybe more so yea i see it as a good deal thats one of my fisrt mods when i finish my paint

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Is this stuff anything like the protective film you find on the front of some appliances and electronics? If so, it's great stuff, but I would be very wary of how it ages. I've seen that stuff get foggy and permanently adhere to surfaces after a few years (I believe in part due to heat, as well). Absolutely impossible to remove at that point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
boxd_up said:
Is this stuff anything like the protective film you find on the front of some appliances and electronics? If so, it's great stuff, but I would be very wary of how it ages. I've seen that stuff get foggy and permanently adhere to surfaces after a few years (I believe in part due to heat, as well). Absolutely impossible to remove at that point.

I feel your concern. That is where the warranty would come into play leaving you nothing to worry about.

Right?

I havent been doing much research on it yet, I appologize. As of now I'm waiting day to day for my XB to arrive and have been very busy taking care of business.

The longer this forum stays active the better.

The above mentioned is definetely something that one would want to ask a professional. If I spoke to some-1 about it there is still a lot that I wouldnt be able to ask due to my lack of knowledge.

...Props.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Whatever is under the film will show, so it's always better to do it on a new car. I wish i did.
I've heard that 3M will yellow a bit with time- may be more visible over white or silver. Good reviews on VentureShield brand though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.