Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I have rear suspension problems. First off, I'm dropped with df210s monroes 5870 shocks. Even before I lowered the car, the alignment was off both in camber and in toe. Left side more than the right side. Swing arm was replaced and during installation, we saw that the damage was not in the swing arm rather it was where the arm attaches on the frame. Probably had an accident hitting a pot hole or something considering there was a slight bend on the stock wheels it came with and a busted tire.

So the problem is, left side scrapes the wheel well on big dips or when loaded with people. Right side is all good. Is there a way to limit the compression/down travel on the left side by maybe 5mm or 10mm?

I dont really wanna buy a new set of shorter tires because I just bought new ones. I have a different set of wheels that are shorter in diameter by a little, and it doesn't hit the wheel wells. They're being refinished right now and I'm also considering 15's instead of the 18's.

I've read a post that mentions EZ Shims. But I'm not sure if the alignment alone will fix the tires hitting the wheel well. Maybe something to shim the df210s higher? Not sure what a good material would be. Probably also going to raise ride height.

I also saw spring blocks and the helper bag threads. Spring blocks stiffen the ride and I'm not sure how it would affect the control of the car having them on one side only and since they raise the height a little.

Suggestions anybody? Thanks in advance!

Bryan

·
-EC HFD YO-
6,809 Posts
do you have a pic of where its rubbing? have you rolled your fenders?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Don't have any pictures but its hitting the top of the wheel well on the outer size. Fenders are rolled and flat. Nowhere close to hitting the fenders.

Thanks zman. I'll keep that as an option. But as for now I'm looking for simpler and cheaper options. I already have 5601 monroes that I bought by mistake and 5870s that I have installed atm.

I mean outer side. I can't spell today.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Monroes are softer, Konis on full stiff ride horribly but they keep the rear in check.

Air shocks are 10000 better ride, but actually arent great for driving the fast, my vsc comes on like my rear tires wont adjust for the road crevices under hard turning.

Konis were more fun for driving hard, but way way too bouncy lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya im looking at some 15's to get. The only low offset one that I like is the xxr 501 and 002. 501 is pretty much sold out everywhere. I dont wanna run camber so the 002's are pretty much out as well.

·
†-LoSt-†
2,146 Posts
501's will rub without some camber or rolling in the front

sent from my DroidX with HFD Power!!

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Ok. So I have rear suspension problems. First off, I'm dropped with df210s monroes 5870 shocks. Even before I lowered the car, the alignment was off both in camber and in toe. Left side more than the right side. Swing arm was replaced and during installation, we saw that the damage was not in the swing arm rather it was where the arm attaches on the frame. Probably had an accident hitting a pot hole or something considering there was a slight bend on the stock wheels it came with and a busted tire.So the problem is, left side scrapes the wheel well on big dips or when loaded with people. Right side is all good. Is there a way to limit the compression/down travel on the left side by maybe 5mm or 10mm?

I dont really wanna buy a new set of shorter tires because I just bought new ones. I have a different set of wheels that are shorter in diameter by a little, and it doesn't hit the wheel wells. They're being refinished right now and I'm also considering 15's instead of the 18's.

I've read a post that mentions EZ Shims. But I'm not sure if the alignment alone will fix the tires hitting the wheel well. Maybe something to shim the df210s higher? Not sure what a good material would be. Probably also going to raise ride height.

I also saw spring blocks and the helper bag threads. Spring blocks stiffen the ride and I'm not sure how it would affect the control of the car having them on one side only and since they raise the height a little.

Suggestions anybody? Thanks in advance!

Bryan
Did you repair the damaged frame area where the trailing arm attaches to?

Reactions: sixt33n

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent gotten it checked again at the alignment shop since I swapped out the arm. I'm guessing its going to cost me a lot of money since they gave me a quote, prior to me finding out that the damage was on the frame itself, was $480 to do a "pull" to straighten the arm itself. the arm has been swapped out for a straight one already and the old arm was only slightly bent. Could barely see any difference.

Hmm can't remember who said it but he said he ran 501's without camber. No rubbing. Just rolled fenders and stretched tires. I'm going to run stock tire size with itso I belive the stretch will help if I run 501's.

·
4 Time Scion Owner
9,475 Posts
You're problem starts with it being bent somewhere. You're rear alignment shouldn't be off if you have nothing done to alter camber. Unless you're shimmed for some reason (like camber) you shouldn't be outta OEM spec UNLES something is bent out of wack.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah unfortunately, the frame has the damage. I'm sure that it'll cost even more then the $500 i was quoted for a pull... and may cause even more problems considering a pull would just put more stress on the where the arm attaches to.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... running out of options. Whats the part number of this monroe gas shocks that will fit the xb? Also how are they even adjusted?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah, the 5870 echo shocks definitely gave me a better ride than the monroe for an xb suspension. I'm looking at the monroe website, think it would be best to get air shocks for the echo instead of the xb? Or it doesn't really matter at for air shocks?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts