Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok searched a little and couldn't find any info on how to tint the tails using window tint. Can anyone help me out here on how to do this? i just can't seem to get around the curved edges:mad: . thanks for helpin a brother out:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but i just wanna do the tint film. I really don't want it too dark.

anyone else got any ideas or tips?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
i took mine to a bodyshop and they did it there

·
Registered
336 Posts
i tryed to tint mine a while back and it was a pain in the ass to go around the eges so i just gave up after like 3 hours spraying them is the best and easyest way enless u go to a tint show and they can do it for u i belave they smoke them

·
Registered
62 Posts
to smoke your tails its a different material, regular tint does not work well with curves. theres a material called transparent colored PVC film glossy. it cames in many colors but its really expensive. Rvinyl.com sells for pretty cheap. you can try them. ive been trying to gets rolls of this stuff but it hard to come around.

Edwin

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You could always try a little pin stripe tape......easy and cheap!

·
I'm Awesome.
10,701 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
You could always try a little pin stripe tape......easy and cheap!

So Pin Strip Tape does the thinner lines on the inside i assume, but what did you use for the thicker outer edges? Ever since, I've seen those I've wanted to do something like that, but was wondering what you used to cover them... Any info on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Toup said:
So Pin Strip Tape does the thinner lines on the inside i assume, but what did you use for the thicker outer edges? Ever since, I've seen those I've wanted to do something like that, but was wondering what you used to cover them... Any info on doing this would be greatly appreciated.
i have the template for that at home. i have a vinyl cutter so i cut those out. if you need some let me know. i havent tried making some like Surfcity's but i can try let me know.

Edwin

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Your best bet is to take them to a bodyshop, and have them shoot some transparent black on them. Thats how I did mine, but I work at a bodyshop.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, guess a body shop is going to have to do it. padanky, you use clear over the tint spray? how much you think it should run? i've always liked your work man. can I just get the tint spray at an auto store?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
R_lilbox said:
thanks guys, guess a body shop is going to have to do it. padanky, you use clear over the tint spray? how much you think it should run? i've always liked your work man. can I just get the tint spray at an auto store?

Mine I actually tinted and cleared them, then scuffed and sprayed the PW border and cleared them again. Mine are four coats of transparent black.

If you go with a rattle can spray, I would probably spray the inside of the lens.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool, thanks. which paint do you recommend an amateur like me using? I tried the tint spray for the models then cleared it with the same kinda paint and that was a big no cuz they started peeling after couple months. damn, i fuked up. so i tried cleaning that ish off and now my tailights are all scuffed cuz i tried wet sanding it. ugh, i suck at this painting stuff...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
cool, thanks. which paint do you recommend an amateur like me using? I tried the tint spray for the models then cleared it with the same kinda paint and that was a big no cuz they started peeling after couple months. damn, i fuked up. so i tried cleaning that ish off and now my tailights are all scuffed cuz i tried wet sanding it. ugh, i suck at this painting stuff...
I'm not sure of what kind of paint to use, others on here have done it with rattle can, they might be able to help. If you dropped them off at a bodyshop, they should know how to do them.

·
Ain't too Funk to Druck.
17,243 Posts
not legal at all, no red reflectors means a big nono. it's not illegal until you get caught that's what i always say. cops here in CA are strict. you gotta know somebody to get out of a ticket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.