Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around 2AM i got a tinted window ticket in Whittier!

AHHHH! i though i was immune to it! i had it for so long and hadn't been pulled over!

"i pulled you over b/c i couldn't see inside your windows when you drove by"

and then he proceeded to hassle me for drinking and driving!

finally got out of there after 3 cop cars showed up to hassle me and joke around. i can't believe them...

oh well. any tips on what exactly needs to be taken off?

2670(a)(1) CVC Tinted Windows

·
Registered
308 Posts
Find out what your state law on tint is. Than go to a tint shop and find out how dark the tint is. They should be able to give you something in writing if at or below law specs. Just keep in car and next time give to them and say Kiss My - - -!:p

·
Registered
66 Posts
the front windows are not allowed to be tinted at all period here in california ..... Ive had my share of tickets.. You have to get a razor and take it off then go to the CHP and show them that you fixed the violation... I hate this law but there aint nothing you can do about it ... Sometimes if you are lucky the CHP wont come outside to see if you took the tint off.. they will just take your word for it and write the ticket off but dont count on it ... good luck!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
dude thats ight just get the tint removed thats the only way...:mad:
i already have 3 different fix it tickets and everytime they pull me over they try to get me on the front windows...lol...i just tell them sorry officer but the officer before you already wrote me on that...and they try to write me on every thing else like having NO E.O. Sticker on your Intake...and yes that ass hole did really check since he couldnt even hit me on anything else:mad:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what im hearing is that it's only the two front windows.

so my visor tint is ok and my rear window tint is ok?

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Nowdays all you have to do is pay the fine and move on.......if you get caught agian the fine goes up and up due to the number of violations.....The state got tired of the fix-it write offs that never happen............But I hope you don't have your windshield tinted completly thats a $400+ ticket.....I know my last 2 cars had the entire windshield tinted.....It helps to have a window tinter friend......(I know - then why are your windows not tinted.....Hes busy and so am I - It will happen.....when its free its hard to complain or force the time.........)

·
Registered
7 Posts
AAronInTheBox said:
so what im hearing is that it's only the two front windows.

so my visor tint is ok and my rear window tint is ok?
Carefully read the above California DMV link provided by Tomas. It answers all your questions. Keep in mind LE Officers also have certified window tint meters that measure light transmittance.

P.S. "Harassment" can only be accomplished WITHOUT lawful authority. Sworn Peace Officers HAVE lawful authority to stop and detain traffic violators for the said infraction. FYI only.

GT

·
Registered
240 Posts
wagonmaster said:
Carefully read the above California DMV link provided by Tomas. It answers all your questions. Keep in mind LE Officers also have certified window tint meters that measure light transmittance.

P.S. "Harassment" can only be accomplished WITHOUT lawful authority. Sworn Peace Officers HAVE lawful authority to stop and detain traffic violators for the said infraction. FYI only.

GT

wait hold up so can you give me some info on this" Keep in mind LE Officers also have certified window tint meters that measure light transmittance."

because i dont want to remove my tint since you could still see my purtty face hahahah

·
Registered
7 Posts
bbRydr said:
wait hold up so can you give me some info on this" Keep in mind LE Officers also have certified window tint meters that measure light transmittance."
Prior to the issuance of these meters, Officers had to rely upon their judgement or a "cheat sheet" card which contained three sample shades of window tint. The meters remove all guesswork. We carry them here in Washington, however I am unsure if they use them in California.

GT

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
"...We carry them here in Washington..."

Hmmmmmmm... Then you might be amused by this photoshopped pic, wagonmaster...

·
Registered
526 Posts
AAronInTheBox said:
So around 2AM i got a tinted window ticket in Whittier!

AHHHH! i though i was immune to it! i had it for so long and hadn't been pulled over!

"i pulled you over b/c i couldn't see inside your windows when you drove by"

and then he proceeded to hassle me for drinking and driving!

finally got out of there after 3 cop cars showed up to hassle me and joke around. i can't believe them...

oh well. any tips on what exactly needs to be taken off?

2670(a)(1) CVC Tinted Windows
just the front has to be taken off

·
Registered
168 Posts
ok.. lets see how many people argue with me on this.. nevermind the fact that window film has only been my job for 20 years - many of it CA., and where my mother is a judge, father the (ret.) Sheriff ... I know what I'm talking about on tint tickets.

Prior to 1999, an officer could cite anyone for any degree of tint on front doors. In 1999 the state changed the law - you ARE ALLOWED to tint the front doors on a car/truck in CA. - but the tint cannot be darker than 70%

Because of this law change, in order for an officer to issue a LAWFUL citation, he must test the light transmittance of the window with a calibrated meter. So this means he must use that meter - and the meter must read 67% or lighter (meters are only accurate within 3%+/-). If he did not use a meter - the ticket isn't even worth the paper it was written on.

As far as the old 'cheat sheets', they were never needed in CA becuase tint was illegal, period. Darkness was irrelevant. In the states where they DO still use that joke of test, that is one of the easiest tickets issued to beat - but that's another post for another time.

Also... he pulled you over at 2AM becuase he couldn't see inside the car??? NO SH*T GENIUS! IT'S 2 AM!! It's a BS stop. Normally, a tint ticket is such a minor deal that you just yank it, get it signed off etc ... but becuase of the situation. I'd fight it.

If you want to really F with the court, appear by "Trial by Declaration" ... it's an almost gauranteed win. (inside tip - you're in a different county - but as my mother puts it, and most of the CA court system is the same way... if they see a TbD that doesn't look like it was written by an 8yo, it's a Not Guilty. They don't have the time to be sifting through even more piles of paper work, they're already back logged as it is)

·
Registered
240 Posts
so i have a window tint ticket as of right now...what kan i do to fight it so that i could keep the tint on...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pumpkinbox said:
Because of this law change, in order for an officer to issue a LAWFUL citation, he must test the light transmittance of the window with a calibrated meter. So this means he must use that meter - and the meter must read 67% or lighter (meters are only accurate within 3%+/-). If he did not use a meter - the ticket isn't even worth the paper it was written on. QUOTE]

I believe I already stated this previously in the thread. As far as the validity of the citation, I concur that w/o the meter, the operator of the vehicle is only presumptuously gulity.

GT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.