839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Difficulty: (1-5): 1
Time Frame: 1-1.5 hrs

10MM gear wrench or ratchet
320-600 grit sand paper
tape
water
model car transparent tint spray (avail at any hobby shop in your area)

Step 1: is to remove the screw right behind the rear tire that holds that end of the bumper on on each side. once removed, pull back the skin just a bit so you can stick your hand in. find the 10 mil nut that holds the light in and remove it. do the same for the other side.
1 (Small).jpg

with the markers off take your grit of sand paper(i chose 320 but id advise a higher grit, maybe 600-800 grit) and start sanding to create a scuffed area. do that for about a minute. then take your sandpaper, dip it in water and start sanding till the letters sand right of the marker. with the markers sanded, clean off the exsisting dust and grime with soapy water.
2 (Small).jpg

3 (Small).jpg

once you have them cleaned, take some tape, and tape around the plug area just to prevent overspray to the plug itself.
4 (Small).jpg

now take your markers and put them on a piece of cardboard, or newspaper(unless you the ground under it to tint as well
5 (Small).jpg

this is the kind of spray i used..
6 (Small).jpg

now start about 6 inches away and spray away careful not to spray in too thick of coat that it begins to run. once the first coat is sprayed, let dry about 15-20 minutes(depending on the temperature outside. Once the first coat dries, spray a second coat the same way, and let dry again this time about 30 minutes.

the finished product should look like this
7 (Small).jpg

Now reverse the steps on taking the markers off, to reinstall them, careful not to handle the markers too much incase of possible smearing.

with them back on the car, they will look like so
8 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
the same would go for my tail lights correct? just apply several more coats to my desired darkness?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Excellent write up you got there. Not trying to thread-jack but just want to show you mine too. :p :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
cool looks good. you used the altima ones right? clears look awesome. i like my tinted ones too ;-). nice ride btw

Lucky110 said:
the same would go for my tail lights correct? just apply several more coats to my desired darkness?
i dont advise you using spray tint on your tails for safety and legal issues. use film if your going to tint. i had tint and got pulled over, MFing cop made me strip them off right there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it legal to tint those rear markers in CA? How about the front ones?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
i will do this to match my tails!if you are going to paint the tails do the inside(the outer lenses come off) i used a can of krylon fusion, acetone, masking tape, 6 butter knives, and about an hour of my day! here is the results!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got the euro style tails when i bought the car and i have the stock ones laying around, I want to tint or paint them to match the rest of my car i just don't wanna F it all up anyone have a DIY or know someone who can do it really well for a reasonable price ????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.