Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just now turned 21,000 miles on my '05 XB, and today I am hearing what sounds like the indicators on the front brakes starting to scrape. Could it be time for new brake pads already? Seems kinda early! Has anyone else gotten to this point with their brakes yet? Just wondering what the average lifespan of brake pads on the XB's are? I am at exactly 21,160 today. I will be checking them visually tomorrow.:confused:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I've heard of other people's pads wearing out around this milage as well. All depends on your driving habits.

Don't go OEM though, change out to some better performing pads.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually try to get the OEM brakes, they usually last longer than the pads sold at auto part stores. I hate the black brake dust all the time as well. Any suggestion as for brands?:confused:

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
im at 15k right now and my bro said that my pads are going to be gone soon. i guess it depends on how you drive...

·
Registered
13 Posts
xb brakes do wear out fast raybesto's are junk, junk i tell ya. the new factory pads are your best bet, but the old shims will not fit the new pads, be shure to buy a shim kit when you buy the pads at the dealer

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great tip! I'll do that! your right, the factory pads must be junk, Isay, just junk!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i'm down on raybestos because ive been in the repair buisness for fifteen years and raybestos used to be the best, but about four years ago i noticed that my customers started coming back with lots of complaints. i'm very unhappy with raybestos products. not just a loud mouth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have had problems with ceramics cracking. but from what one of my vendors explained to me that the (i don't spell very good) centrifical force of the spinning tire accually creates a magnetic field that attracts the materials in semi-metalic pads. the more metal the more dust. by the way i have used every line of raybesto's not a single one has been good for my buisiness. centrics are what i had to go to for buisiness. akebono is very good to but they do not make brakes for many car lines. still i stand strong that oem is always best. and i wash my box amost every day so dust is not an issue.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

I will probably just get the oem set again, untill I can do more research. They are still much better than local auto part stores offer. The ceramic sounds good, but don't want high maint. or cracks.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Scion is paying me $150 for talking 2 hours with them about what they should put in their cars.....

I'll be buying either new rotors, or underglow.

probably rotors.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
what hey should outift the insides of the new xb eh ? neat. wish i got paid . hell i work side by side with corporate guys every other week. guess they figure they can get my opinions for free. :(

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
BoXBoy said:
I will probably just get the oem set again, untill I can do more research. They are still much better than local auto part stores offer. The ceramic sounds good, but don't want high maint. or cracks.
Are you doing it yourself, if so, can you do a write up, or does anyone have a DIY article on this?
at 20K my brakes are kinda squeelng a bit. I think is time for pad change.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Going to pick up the pads today. I will probably change them out tomorrow. If there is interest, I could do a DIY. Changing the pads is not too hard, if you do it in time, before you damage the rotors, once the rotors are damaged , the job becomes 3x harder and more expensive.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.