Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

After i installed my new and way longer bubble shift knob the movement of the stick while in gear got quite a bit more noticeable.

Some googling lead me to this ---->

Stick Feels loose - Scionlife.com

Specifically to post #19 .

Though the thread i linked to is for a TC would this fix work on an XB?

Or can anyone recommend a way to correct this problem? I'm not really wanting to get a short throw kit...

Thanks!

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all.

After i installed my new and way longer bubble shift knob the movement of the stick while in gear got quite a bit more noticeable.

Some googling lead me to this ---->

Stick Feels loose - Scionlife.com

Specifically to post #19 .

Though the thread i linked to is for a TC would this fix work on an XB?

Or can anyone recommend a way to correct this problem? I'm not really wanting to get a short throw kit...

Thanks!

· Registered
2,778 Posts
If your XB is a 2nd gen, trans might be the same as TC. Any time you change to a taller shift knob or extend the shifter, any play will be exaggerated. That thread made sense, if the pivot has some play in it, there should be some way to tighten it up. Weither it's a spacer or a new pivot bushing or ball.

· Rescued RS 2.0
821 Posts
Rather than a short throw, I simply cut about 1" off my shift rod to shorten the throw. You need a dye to cut and extend the threads down an additional inch to compensate. Old 24 hours of Lemons trick. For those that don't know what that is or thinks I misspelled: 24 Hours of LeMons - Home

I'll check and report back the thread and pitch needed.

· Rescued RS 2.0
821 Posts
Rather than a short throw, I simply cut about 1" off my shift rod to shorten the throw. You need a dye to cut and extend the threads down an additional inch to compensate. Old 24 hours of Lemons trick. For those that don't know what that is or thinks I misspelled: 24 Hours of LeMons - Home

I'll check and report back the thread and pitch needed.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your XB is a 2nd gen, trans might be the same as TC. Any time you change to a taller shift knob or extend the shifter, any play will be exaggerated. That thread made sense, if the pivot has some play in it, there should be some way to tighten it up. Weither it's a spacer or a new pivot bushing or ball.

Ok, see i just assumed since the TC came out around the same time like 2005ish that maybe they shared transmissions.

anyway. it was super easy getting the console out so i'll give it a look over and see what I might be able to do. Its not unbearable but i just think there shouldn't be this much play

----------------

-Dahozzmn- I've heard about the 24hrs of lemons lol I thought i would be really fun after i found out they hold races in other regions (i thought it was only a cali thing at first) but i after i found out you need a fancy fire suit, and all this other stuff its like wow. 500$ for the car but like 2000$+ in registration and safety stuff.... no way... haha

but im not looking to shorten it up any. I dont really know how to compute what the difference would be if i shortened the lever an inch but just by eyeballing it, it looks like it would be very minimal change.

----------------

I think it has more to do with the assembly the fulcrum end of the shifter rests in. I remember the assembly being plastic.

· Rescued RS 2.0
821 Posts
Nice find. I'll have to do some homework on this myself.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for posting that link.

ive been pretty lazy about tackling this lol. though i just went out at took a video of the mechanism being shifted around... its being uploaded to YT right now...

but instead of the bushings. whats wobbling is the shifting lever itself... like there is a ball and it sits inside of this cage and its loose in there. ugh lol ill let the video show whats going on.

heck maybe the aftermarket bushings are taller or shorter and that in turn helps this but just by looking at the assembly i dont think that is the case(?)

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres the video i shot.... it isnt very good but it shows the play in the shifter shaft. I think the only solution is either a new assembly, or a short throw assembly. Im just gonna focus on other things right now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts