Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a low mileage '11 xB I recently got from my brother. I'm noticing that at times when I need to blurp the throttle a bit just to get closer to the parking curb or maybe just to back up a foot or, when I tap the gas I get a huge throttle response. It's scary how sensitive it is. Anybody else notice this? It's almost as if the idle is too low so the torque converter is unloaded until it gets enough engine rpm.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey, I have a low mileage '11 xB I recently got from my brother. I'm noticing that at times when I need to blurp the throttle a bit just to get closer to the parking curb or maybe just to back up a foot or, when I tap the gas I get a huge throttle response. It's scary how sensitive it is. Anybody else notice this? It's almost as if the idle is too low so the torque converter is unloaded until it gets enough engine rpm.
You're saying you tap the gas and it kinda takes off? I do know Toyota’s had pedals that stuck back in 04-05 check ✔ the Vin and see if there are any recalls - other than that- see if it can be adjusted to your liking. It may be something you just have to live with. My .02 cents. Others may chime in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Key ON.
Engine OFF
Connect a scan tool.
Select Live Data.
Select Throttle Position Percentage
Select Graphic Display.

With the scan tool connected to the vehicles OBD port, the initial value displayed should read anywhere between 5 and 20 percent (depending on the engines coolant temperature). The Idle Air Control Valve is maintaining this throttle percentage.

With the ignition ON and the engine NOT running, use the scan tool to look at the Throttle Position Sensor percentage graph. While looking at the graph, press the gas pedal in a slow, consistent manner. As you do this motion, the display on the graph should eventually create an angled graphic line on the screen from bottom left to the top right of the display screen. There should not be any spikes or dips in the graphic angle display.

Let's say you're car is warmed up and the engine idle throttle percentage is 8%......pressing the throttle pedal slowly should bring the percentage up to 9. Press the pedal further and it's at 10%, then 11, then 12, then 13, and on and on until 100% throttle percentage is achieved.

Sounds like what may be happening with your car is you have a "dead" spot in the throttle position sensor, or possibly the throttle pedal itself (if the throttle pedal is the DBW type).

Looking at the throttle percentage, if its at 8% when you begin pressing down on the gas pedal and then the percentage number immediately jumps to 20% skipping past 9-19 percentage values, you have found your problem.

One other possible problem source could be the fuel pressure regulator. It operates via engine vacuum. If for some reason the FPR has become damaged (or disconnected, or lost its source of vacuum for whatever reason), it too can cause this type of engine operating behavior.

On some vehicles, this throttle behavior can happen when fiber fuel filters get old...... Sadly, the xB does not have this type of fuel filter. It has a fuel strainer and is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump module. This strainer (alone) is not available at retail auto parts stores. To get one you would have to buy a complete fuel pump module. Though Toyota dealerships can supply the strainer and I believe the cost is $19.

Good luck, few things to look into.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, my 2011 is also a little touchy

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you press the gas pedal the throttle body plate should open sometimes they stick closed and when it does open it pops open quickly and the car will lurch forward. Remove the air intake to the throttlebody and spray with carb cleaner or throttlebody cleaner thoroughly hope that takes care of it for you that’s my best guess

1 - 5 of 5 Posts