Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored this afternoon and decided I would make a few paint concepts for my box. I'm trying to come up with a good design, as right now, this is what it looks like and I don't dig the splashes that much. (previous owner...)

Original:

New concepts:

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. :)

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
hey i like the #2. i seen some 2 tones but never like that. their all straight cut. not sure i like THAT PARTICULAR swipe but you know what i mean.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I prefer the first shot myself.

What about adding a slightly smaller and/ or shorter swipe on the front door ?(perhaps starting the angle down from the front 1/4 panel.)

Also, I would add a pinstripe to separate the two colors. Probably silver, or perhaps a more bold color like red or green that you could carry over into the interior. Lights, etc.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If you can blend the colors a bit better in the 2nd one, I think it would flow much better. I keep finding myself drawn to the front (never a bad thing) but because the contrast between the PW-to what appears to be TCM?-to the BSP (SM) is so sharp it takes away from what you're looking to do.

Overall both designs work well, just the second one (the one I choose because of it's more wild and not done so many times) needs a bit of retouching for perfection.

Do you have other ideas? I do like the more wild than mild look myself, even though I haven't gone through to get my box repainted.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try some of these ideas out this week when I get a chance. :)

BoomBox: I'm still working on coming up with more. Those two just came to me today at the right time. I agree, I like the wild designs a lot myself.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hmmmm. . . BoomBox, are you picturing an entire gradual fade?
Kind of like TerribleTed’s box only through three shades instead of two?
Might be cool :)

Or what about adding triangular “points” that cut/ drag one color across another?

Kind of like those baby jars of colored sand you made in school where you layered the different colors in bands and then used a thin rod to send them into each other. Ughh. . . does that make any sense?

·
3,453 Posts
both of those ideas would work. I was just thinking more a blend between the colors so the transition isn't so harsh. Not necessarily a fade, but that would definitely look hawt! To elaborate on your triangle thing, you could use spheres, squares, octagons etc.....to transition between the colors. It would definitely give an old skool look to it.

·
3,453 Posts
I too, like the gray striping, without the wave behind them. The arrow is a bit out there, maybe if it weren't so bright of a color. I understand your desire to stick with a scheme though.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I like the small gray stripes. I don't know about the arrow thing. What are you pointing at anyway?
I too, like the gray striping, without the wave behind them. The arrow is a bit out there, maybe if it weren't so bright of a color.QUOTE]

What they said^

What about running the green stripe behind the small grey ones horizontally?

·
3,453 Posts
With the striping and stuff, you could get away with vinyl since it's simplistic like that. Much cheaper than having the car painted as well.

I was thinking, after looking at it a bit longer, the arrow would be more 'pleasant' on the eyes with more of them, and not as large, or bright of a color.

Overall, I admire your ability to come up with stuff, if you send me the template you're using, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to do up some of my own, of course, for myself.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the striping and stuff, you could get away with vinyl since it's simplistic like that. Much cheaper than having the car painted as well.

I was thinking, after looking at it a bit longer, the arrow would be more 'pleasant' on the eyes with more of them, and not as large, or bright of a color.

Overall, I admire your ability to come up with stuff, if you send me the template you're using, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to do up some of my own, of course, for myself.
Sure, it's not so much of a template as an actual picture. All of these are based on the original in the begining of this thread. I photoshopped out the splashes, then made a new later and outlined the doors and windows. From here, the design sits on a layer in between those two.

I can send you the photoshop file for it, or I can save it as a regular picture for you to edit if you'd like. Just let me know.

As for the arrow, yeah, I'm not sure about it either. I've been doing this as a way to learn photoshop better. The arrow was just required to duplicated that website banner I saw. Like most people, I think I'll end up leaving mine jet black.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like the last one you posted but change the green to grey and alter the shape of if so that it is not so straight put a little curve in it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm down for #2, but flipped so the stripes angle from the top rear down to the bottom front. My old race helmet had a similar design and I always liked that.

Can't wait to see the final product someday!

-Alex

·
Registered
325 Posts
My first idea was to do something like #2 here with a swipe (a smaller one than pictured here) and gold on top and orange on the bottom, with the swipe defined by an offset stripe (I was thinking about a bright blue for that. I actually painted a Scion xB model like this. But then as I studied that I got the fade idea and hadda do it:0

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.