Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gf may need a new car in the next few months and I'm pushing her towards a MINI. I swear, 1 in 5 parking spots in San Francisco are too small for her Civic and even my xB sometimes, and with parking garage rental at $350/month, it might just be cheaper to buy a MINI!!

So with the all new-redesigned 07 MINI, anyone have any opinions? Yay or Nay? Should we just get a Yaris hatch? xD maybe?

·
Registered
614 Posts
As a long time(25+ years) REAL Mini owner I am not impressed with the new MINI. I finally drove one a couple of months ago and I found it to be "just another small car" One of my long time fellow Mini owners told me when he bought one "Don't tell anyone I told you but there really isn't anything special about this car" They are okay for a small car.For my money I would go for the Yaris....at least it doesn't rely on the reputation of a classic to sell cars.
;) I have heard from sources that the new 07 is much smoother(bigger etc)I just can't get by that cartoonish speedo on the 07.Funny comment coming from a xB owner,huh. :eek:
Here are my toy real Minis....

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'd go with the Yaris hatch. Mainly due to the fact that when I used to live downtown, every car and I mean every car with 30-day tags had some horrific dent or scratch. I've been throwing around the idea of moving back but if I do, it's going to be the richmond or sunset and the place better have a garage. lol. I like mini's my problem is I also like my car too look new as possible for as long as possible. Thanks to the tourists and the plain ol' craptacular driving I would rather get a beater. Not that the Yaris is a beater but the amount it costs to keep a car up and fix kinda sucks. That and modifing a mini might take you away from the xB. . . nah just kidding.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Blimey, your REAL Minis are beautiful! I'd get one of those in a heartbeat if they still made them. I really dig the new MINIs too (there's stll nothing else out like it), but I'm just trying to justify the cost right now. This would definitely be a luxury/splurge purchase.

Ghost, I live in pac heights, and people here park relatively better than other neighborhoods. It's weird mix of beaters and luxury cars. People actually park their Aston Martins, Maseratis, Bentleys, etc. on the street!!! In my neighborhood, MINIs are beaters..lol

There are at least 5 MINI's on the block at any one time, and they all essentially get their "own" spots in between 2 really close driveways. I want in on that action!

(One of the MINIs even has this foam tube thing, which I've never seen before, that hangs out of the trunk and protects the bumper- pretty nifty!)

Deep down I know a Yaris is a no brainer - perfect car for The City, but I think the lady has her heart set on a MINI though (maybe I do too :p )

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
SAY NO TO MINI.

Too little car for too much money.

I say get one of them SMART cars or something. That, or the Yaris or Fit.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Same as with the real VW Bug and New Beetle. They get you on the looks. New Mini looks very nice but its impractical and overpriced. Interior is not sturdy at all (seats, dash), parts and servicing very expensive (if you are planning to own this modern classic it is something to consider). It is a toy, not an everyday car that you need to last. I am shure it has its fun side and looks very nice, but i would personally stay away from it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BoomBox, an 08 SMART car is 14k-17k in SF, but I am afraid to drive that on the freeway!

Actually, a Mini would be very practical for us! Being that we live in an urban setting where parking is a premium. We ride public transportation every day or just walk most of the time, but we need our cars for the occasional business trip, grocery getting, going out to dinner, weekend getaways, etc.

The 07 Minis are completely re-designed, much better fit and finish, more interior space, more fuel efficient, quicker, and more reliable (thus far). The new Minis get about 31/38 MPG, so VERY easy to park, plus we have the xB if we need the cargo space.

A Mini really would be perfect for our situation, but so would a Yaris...lol. The Mini's MSRP is $19,500 (basic non-S) with 4yr/50k warranty and free full maintenance for 3yr/36k. Really not too bad a price for what you get, you just have to loy off of all of those accessories! I think Minis also have the highest resale value too. I think a fully loaded Yaris Liftback (with side airbags) would be just $14k.

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
I would definately get a MINI if I had the money. They are very safe cars and fun to drive. Blimey, awesome Classics. The Clubman looks cool. I'm looking into getting my own classic. :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah the clubman looks to be really cool! But for me, the extra length defeats the purpose. Maybe when I move back to the east bay.

Edit: Oops, I priced the MINI wrong

Non-S MINI Cooper:
$18,700 4yr/50k warranty;free full maintence for 3yr/36k

Yaris (comparably equipped):
$14,000 3yr/36k warranty

·
Registered
454 Posts
StanKubrick. . . lol, if I had known you lived in Pac Hieghts. . . well that changes somethings. I guess you only drive out of the city and use the usual metro like MUNI. If that is the case and since you live in Pac Hieghts I am more then sure you can afford the MINI. Or maybe not. lol I suppose it really ends up being what ya'll want in this given situation. My feeling on it is I'd see what fits into the budget, if you budget is really big and you can do it go for it. It almost sounds like you and you're girl have already made up your mind. Living in Pac Hieghts also tells me that you're car is a little safer then being almost anywhere else in the city. lol.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may live in Pac Heights, but I'm a cheap bastard! Why do you think I got an xB in the 1st place? ;P

I would only wanna pay for a basic MINI (maybe with a sunroof :) ). Just kinda nervous as this would be our first non-Japanese car. I've heard good things about the 2nd gen MINI and how its a much improved car. I guess I really just wanted to know if anybody has had a MINI and if it was worth it to them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm a cheap bastard myself, however I got lucky cause I really wanted a xB, well and OpenDeck. . . never going to get one now. lol. I suppose it's time to hit some MINI forums to see what the big issues are. It's the only thing I can think of. You know how most of the posts on scion forums are usually, how do I get the box to go faster, or common problems and their fix. It might do you some good to see what those forums say. :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would definately get a MINI if I had the money. They are very safe cars and fun to drive. Blimey, awesome Classics. The Clubman looks cool. I'm looking into getting my own classic. :)
I can't for the life of me understand why they chose to call the wagon a "clubman" Any REAL mini owner really knows what a clubman is and although they made clubman wagons a clubman is not a wagon version of a mini. The Clubman mini is the most unloved and unwanted version of the classic mini. Most clubman wagons have the front ends lopped off and replaced with classic roundnoses.I will admit that clubmans appeal to me but I drive a square car..:p Most Mini owners wince at the sight of them.
I have owned and driven true Mini wagons long before they were popular even in the true classic world.Its either a Countryman(Austin) or a Travellor(Morris)
Rant over...sorry.:eek:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blimey, love the passion you have for the true Minis!!

Ghost, Yeah, I've been all over those MINI sites, but I want an unbiased opinion. I thought check if there might be some current or former MINI owners here.

Hopefully, I'll have time to go test drive one this weekend :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Blimey, love the passion you have for the true Minis!!
Thanks,I truly love the classics.Took my first ride in one in 1970 when I was 13.Been a fan ever since ;)

You sound as tho you have made your mind up already.Good luck with your choice whatever it may be!

·
Registered
679 Posts
i really like the mini's and was looking into them before i picked up my xb... problem was that it was out of my priced range at the time since i would have to get a cooper s. My boss and some others i know have twincharged mini's that are pretty fast. I have another buddy that has one and just loves it to death. drives and handles great since its such a small car and gas mileage isn't too bad either. prestige wise, the mini is gonna be higher up on the scale than a yaris, xd or watever.... but i'm not sure if that is important to your gf. have her test drive all the cars and see which works out the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You guys are freakin crazy! My dad has an 04 mini cooper s and that is a bad ass car and he has always wanted a mini. Its a four cylinder with a supercharger. Its fast as hell, good gas milage excellent price for what you get! I would have rather got a mini than an xB anyday! For $25000 he got a BMW made car. It has leather seats, sunroof, awesome stock audio system, supercharger, dual exhaust, and many accessories to add like the xB. You just cant diss that car guys. If you do its cuz your jealous. BTW the Yaris and xD or xB just don't compare. I say go for the mini if ya can afford it. Fun car!

·
Registered
672 Posts
You guys are freakin crazy! My dad has an 04 mini cooper s and that is a bad ass car and he has always wanted a mini. Its a four cylinder with a supercharger. Its fast as hell, good gas milage excellent price for what you get! I would have rather got a mini than an xB anyday! For $25000 he got a BMW made car. It has leather seats, sunroof, awesome stock audio system, supercharger, dual exhaust, and many accessories to add like the xB. You just cant diss that car guys. If you do its cuz your jealous. BTW the Yaris and xD or xB just don't compare. I say go for the mini if ya can afford it. Fun car!
*You're

:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.