Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, using my dynoscan software on my palm, I did a 0-60 run and was really pushing the car to the max, but I got really bad numbers as follows:

0-60: 10.9 sec
top speed 65.9mph

This is weird because first of all I think I took my car to at least 80mph before slowing down...not the 65.9 that it says, and second of all, there is no way it only took 10.9 sec to accelerate to 60. Remember I'm putting out 135whp as well as having a stage 3 clutch. Here's another weird thing, when I'm cruising at 70mph (what the speedometer reads), the scan tool is telling me I am going at 65mph.

Aaagh, I guess if I really want to be accurate, I'll have to drag my but to a drag strip!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about the 6ish second range, but my buttometer definitely says it's not 10 (I used to have a Honda Insight hybrid, and that was a 10 so I know what a 10 feels like)! Maybe I just gotta use a stopwatch, but again that won't be as accurate since who knows how off my speedo is. I guess like I mentioned before, if I really want to find out I'll have to go visit a track. Maybe I can visit a 1/8 mile track which is closer than the 1/4 mile here in DFW. I still don't know why the ECU is reading a different speed than the speedometer though, weird.

·
Registered
214 Posts
preacherboy said:
I'm not sure about the 6ish second range, but my buttometer definitely says it's not 10 (I used to have a Honda Insight hybrid, and that was a 10 so I know what a 10 feels like)! Maybe I just gotta use a stopwatch, but again that won't be as accurate since who knows how off my speedo is. I guess like I mentioned before, if I really want to find out I'll have to go visit a track. Maybe I can visit a 1/8 mile track which is closer than the 1/4 mile here in DFW. I still don't know why the ECU is reading a different speed than the speedometer though, weird.
If a 140whp, stage 2 clutch xb can hit 6.7 with bad traction through 1st, i'm pretty confident when i say you should be in the 6's.

·
Registered
201 Posts
preacherboy said:
I'm not sure about the 6ish second range, but my buttometer definitely says it's not 10 (I used to have a Honda Insight hybrid, and that was a 10 so I know what a 10 feels like)! Maybe I just gotta use a stopwatch, but again that won't be as accurate since who knows how off my speedo is....QUOTE] :p :p :D :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If a 140whp, stage 2 clutch xb can hit 6.7 with bad traction through 1st, i'm pretty confident when i say you should be in the 6's.
Sounds good to me! :D I guess I need to recalibrate my buttometer...hehe! :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
preacherboy said:
Sounds good to me! :D I guess I need to recalibrate my buttometer...hehe! :cool:
and I really don't want to know what you use recalibrate it... lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
What size wheels/tires are you running. That is reading speed from your ECU so if its not recalibrated it will be off. Dont forget that your launch makes all the differece as does your shifting. You can have a car that has the power to do 0-60 in such and such time but it takes a good launch, etc. 10 sec 0-60 on the street doesnt sound that off to me. Ok, Im ready for the flames.

also dont forget the tachs and speedos on your dash are not always 100% accurate. I would say 80% of all the cars I dyno, the tach and speed are a little off....some by more than 100-200rpm!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
One thing I did today was double check the speed I'm getting via my scan tool compared to the speedometer compared to my GPS. The GPS and speedometer matched or were within 1 mph difference, but the speed from the ecu would be about 5 mph slower at 65 or 70 mph.

I was going to time a 0-60 run with a stopwatch program I have on my palm pilot but I forgot to do so on my way to the grocery store and couldn't do it on my way back because the car had lots of stuff in it. But on my way there, I did do the super accurate "1 banana, 2 banana, 3 banana..." built-in human stopwatch and got to 60 between 6 and 7 bananas. I don't know, some people think using "mississippi" is more accurate than "banana." :rolleyes:

btw, rollhard, I have 17" wheels, with the tire size of 205-45-17. According to one online calculator I've used the speedometer is going 2.2% slower than stock wheels, ie. if it reads 60mph, I'm actually going 61.3.

·
Registered
179 Posts
preacherboy said:
One thing I did today was double check the speed I'm getting via my scan tool compared to the speedometer compared to my GPS. The GPS and speedometer matched or were within 1 mph difference, but the speed from the ecu would be about 5 mph slower at 65 or 70 mph.

I was going to time a 0-60 run with a stopwatch program I have on my palm pilot but I forgot to do so on my way to the grocery store and couldn't do it on my way back because the car had lots of stuff in it. But on my way there, I did do the super accurate "1 banana, 2 banana, 3 banana..." built-in human stopwatch and got to 60 between 6 and 7 bananas. I don't know, some people think using "mississippi" is more accurate than "banana." :rolleyes:

btw, rollhard, I have 17" wheels, with the tire size of 205-45-17. According to one online calculator I've used the speedometer is going 2.2% slower than stock wheels, ie. if it reads 60mph, I'm actually going 61.3.
Hehe, just enjoy your car :) I dont really care what my 0-60 is but I have driven enough cars and taken them to the drag strip to know apprx what I will do. I think my car does it in the 7.5 sec range. Counting wont be accurate. With your tire and wheel size you have taller ratios which will slow your car down too. That wont really show on the dyno when testing for hp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your speedo reading 5 mph faster than your scan tool with 17's is pretty accurate. When i had 17's it did the same thing, but was more around 3-4 mph off. Those wheels n tires are two sizes heavy and will slow u down a bit. Throw some lightweight 15's (10-13 pounds) on with the original stock tire size and you will see a huge difference in the feel of the car, much quicker. I know this because it is what i did. I put my 17's on if i am attending a show, but my daily drivers are 13 pound 15's and the ride is so much nicer and quicker.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The weight of the wheel will make a difference...but not as much as it does with the change in gear ratio. This is an extreme example but think of how slow your car is if you try to launch in 2nd gear. Its the same concept.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are the stock wheels lighter than 17" alloys in general? Also, like I mentioned before the GPS speedometer matches mine, I also tried the GPS speedo on my wife's car and it matched her speedo as well. So I wonder if getting the 17" wheels actually corrected the speedo?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.