Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the group and been thinking about buying the XB but had a few questions that I could not find in the other threads.

1) Brakes. I heard the XB eats brakes. Is this true and if so at what intervals
do they need to be replaced and what is the average cost?

2) Acceleration. how are they merging onto and passing on the highway?
I am in the Chicago area and the highways can be like a speedway. Can the XB holds it own?

3) Bike racks, other than a roof rack, can a bike rack be attached with a hitch or a special type of rack?

4) Do they hold their value? I plan on holding onto it for a while, so was wondering about trade in values.

I found the answers to the other questions I had.

Thanks in adavnce and this is great site. keep up the good work.:cool:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I have a stick and have no problems getting up to speed. High speeds mean high RPM's though.

I haven't had to do my brakes, had mine almost two years nothing but in town miles.

Used ones are selling for more than new ones, I guess they hold their value.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Buy one....its well worth the money....they are gonna quit making them in dec.....that means they increase in value and they are pulling the plug on them because they are a bad vehicle they just want to reinvent the box....power is good for a 1.5, they sale racks from the dealership, brakes are just like any other car....and resale...well i bought mine brand new for 15,300 and retail on it now is 15,700....and plus toyota is a great vehicle and it haves a great warranty!

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
ditto ditto ditto

the best part no one mentioned its a kick in the arse to drive. reminds me of first sports car ever driven 1978 fiat x-19 bertone' signiture edition . corners like a mad banshie or ....a go cart on steriods. manual states that 3rd gear is good to go up to 79 mph thats merging power. starts pulling hard at @ 3500 to 4000 rpms. the only problems merging ive had is people infront of me not having as much fun as me.:D :D :D :D
i vote salsa red pearl. you wont regret it. so say we all

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
sdsnybny said:
The only problems merging ive had is people infront of me not having as much fun as me.:D :D :D :D
I have the same problem, nothing like braking right before you get on the freeway because the guy in front of you is... slow.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
My wife has an '06.5, she has no problem merging even with an automatic. Bought hers in January, her brakes are fine. I changed the brakes on my '04 only 'cause I want slotted rotors, but my stocks still have plenty of metal.

As it has been said, used ones are selling for more than new ones. Excellent resale value! Curious to see what the revised xB will look like, we'll see in the spring.

No info on bike racks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am new to the group and been thinking about buying the XB but had a few questions that I could not find in the other threads.

1) Brakes. I'm not so sure on the brakes, I have only had mine for a few weeks.

2) Acceleration. It is fine, I usually keep her in third, and that is plenty of passing power, just have to rev a little bit.

3) Bike racks, Not so sure on this one either.

4) Do they hold their value? They definately do, I was thinking used before I got my brand new one, but it seems like they sell for more used than new, so yeah, they hold their value.

Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Remember, you're on the ClubxB forums

So we're all a little biased! :eek:)

Check out this link for the bike rack http://scionpartspeople.com/SearchCategory.asp?year=06&model=xB&catid=3340447834954255. These folks have been recommended by other people on the site. I'm waiting for my stuff to arrive, but they come highly recommended!

They absolutely hold their value. I test drove a 2004 with 26,000 miles. The interior looked like someone had shaken a can of Coke and sprayed the ceiling. It had only minor enhancements and they wanted (and got) nearly $20K for it.

And I concur on the color. Salsa Red is the only way to go. (My new '06 will be here Oct. 15!)

~Julia

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
Great car! I have no problems merging. Go on buy one I think you'll be glad you did.. Oh and Thunder cloud is a great color too.......LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the tips and comments. Will try and get one on the highway and see for sure (seems to be my only concern).

I am also trying to decide on the Salsa Red or the Thunder Cloud.
Wife seems to like the Salsa Red.

Will keep you all posted on the outcome and thanks again

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah the xB is great and as for holding thier value I had a 2005 black cherry pearl I got T-Boned the car was totaled by the other guy's insurance I got a little over $17,000 for it that's what I paid for it 2 years earlier for it. Now I have this:

And I love it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I test drove one today and the wife really liked it. Drive good on the highway (even with the air on) and was cruising at 70mph without even realizing it.

Looks like Salsa Red Pearl will be the winner. I just was wondering if anyone
had the factory fog lights and if so how are they?

I drive some dark roads at night and want the extra illumination.

Thanks again
Bill

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
I have them and I live in rual area work just great. I can't remember the blub number 9005 I think anyway that's a low beam and from what I hear you can put 9006 high beam for brighter. I may have the numbers wrong but you get the drift. Myself these work just fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1. brakes. im at 49000 miles and still on my first set of brakes. got about 2mm left on my front pads, i will most likely replace them my next service.
2.the xb does great for getting on the fwy and passing, no problems at all.
3.the dealer actually has a roof rack option made by yakima.
4. i love my xb to death, worth every dime

·
Registered
352 Posts
in response to the foglight comment

9005 is the high beam,and a little modification is needed to make it fit. 9006 is the low beam.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Mad scientist!!!

have spotted ya several times whilst in my employers truk..
:p

I voted for(and got) the shadow mica....but the wife's is da boooberry color.....they play "nice " together...so far that is!

and yes we have 2 toasters......sure cornfuzes the neighbors tho....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok 2 more newbie questions:

1) for those of you in the northern sections of the country,
How are they in the snow & ice?

2) The sales rep said the '08's would be out in Spring of '07, not sure of all of the changes, but would still be boxy.
What is the consenus, should I just get an '06 or wait & see about the '08's.

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMHO...
Get the '06.5

The reason is that when any mfg. introduces a "new/replacement" model there allways little glitches that the mfg. has to work out during the production run.
Let someone else deal with the "new" 1st year issues.
"don't buy a pig in a poke"

after so many years of the current xB. those issues have been resolved..
and why wait? we don't know just what the "new" model will look like... it may be a functional box or an ugly pt/hhr/element clone.. we just don't know at this time.

If it ain't square it ain't there!

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
the brave little toaster said:
in response to the foglight comment

9005 is the high beam,and a little modification is needed to make it fit. 9006 is the low beam.
Yea thanks I knew it was something like that..LOL
Fireduck Just go ahead and buy it now and if you like the 08's buy one of those too..:D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.