Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard anything about the Thermal catback for the xB? I know it's yielded some awesome power gains for my friend's Civic and even my one friend's Saturn (weird, but whatever floats your boat). And, of course, the sound of Thermal has always been great from what I've heard. I know the power gains won't be too significant, but I'm just getting an idea if anybody has any knowledge of the performance and sound of this catback. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but I think in most places, the Magnaflow is even more expensive, so I think this is a decent deal. Especially with the rep I've heard they have.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This exhaust sounds great and from what Mike (Kartel) tells me he notices some powergains as well...Im pretty sure he has better knowledge on this, but if I had the cash i would definitly get the thermal exhaust....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ctruss said:
I made my cat-back system for 1/4 the price.
I'm happy for you :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
ctruss said:
Good. And I feel sorry for you if you waste all your money on that exhaust. Local shops could make you a cat-back system for way less.
I would just like to state that this is a friendly site. We came to this site because of flack, that we were recieving on different sites. Please keep negative comments to yourself. If you can, use constructive critisism if anything else.No need for smart comments. :D

·
Scion God
541 Posts
Heres my thought on the Thermal... First of all, this is supposed to be a top of the line system, and in my honest opinion, I have noticed definite gains in
Acceleration, as well as added horsepower. Of course, this is also in addition to my Injen Cyborg intake. Id say for the money, you cant go wrong with Thermal. Not to mention it does give you that killer low end growl...

·
Registered
126 Posts
The magnaflow on that same site is $460. Thats the lowest i have seen it. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about this Magnaflow. Plus, time and time again dyno's show an increase of 4-5 horses with it. If u are going to spend this kind of money i would get the Magnaflow man. Their rep is untouchable. Plus, i am a firm believer in you get what u pay for. Yes, you COULD get one cheaper or made urself, but you will NEVER be sorry you paid an extra $200 for the best available. My 2 cents. This cat is my next purchase.

·
Registered
974 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
I would just like to state that this is a friendly site. We came to this site because of flack, that we were recieving on different sites. Please keep negative comments to yourself. If you can, use constructive critisism if anything else.No need for smart comments. :D
I was giving friendly input. I got flack first. I don't dish out haterade until I recieve it.

Read the whole thread.

·
Registered
974 Posts
jones75254 said:
The magnaflow on that same site is $460. Thats the lowest i have seen it. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about this Magnaflow. Plus, time and time again dyno's show an increase of 4-5 horses with it. If u are going to spend this kind of money i would get the Magnaflow man. Their rep is untouchable. Plus, i am a firm believer in you get what u pay for. Yes, you COULD get one cheaper or made urself, but you will NEVER be sorry you paid an extra $200 for the best available. My 2 cents. This cat is my next purchase.
You are correct to a point.

What I am saying is you can buy all the great components that go into a Magnaflow exhaust and the do the tubing yourself or have a muffler shop do it locally and save huge dollars.

For example:

I went out to Heartthrob Exhaust, a world-wide dealer of custom hot rod exhaust parts. I purchased a resonator and a Magnaflow muffler from them for less than $100.

Then I went to my buddies shop and gave him another $50 to pay for 2.25" mandrel bent tubing and some beer. We then fabricated my exhaust.

I spent $150 on an exhaust system that will improve my performance and sound just as good as these systems you guys are paying $450 for.

I also looked into it and I could have spent an extra $100 to have a local muffler shop to fabricate my exhaust using the muffler and resonator I bought. With local shop install I'd still only be up to $250, saving me $200 and still using Magnaflow parts.

Moral of the story.....

Yes it's A LOT easier to just order up a kit, but if you do a little of the footwork and buy the pieces of the kit yourself and have a shop do the install you can still save TONS.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
ctruss said:
Moral of the story.....

Yes it's A LOT easier to just order up a kit, but if you do a little of the footwork and buy the pieces of the kit yourself and have a shop do the install you can still save TONS.
You have some serious benefits when it comes to this subject, so braggin about gettin the custom CB for $150, is kinda ridiculous. What would it cost the average person to get those things done. Not bashin at al on ya ctruss at all. Juast some are more fortunate than others :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
You have some serious benefits when it comes to this subject, so braggin about gettin the custom CB for $150, is kinda ridiculous. What would it cost the average person to get those things done. Not bashin at al on ya ctruss at all. Juast some are more fortunate than others :D
I'm not bragging. Please read my whole post, especially the part where I stated that you should be able to have a muffler shop do the work with the parts you bring them and it would only cost you about $100 more than I paid.

To elaborate:
Hearthrob resonator (good stuff) = $45
Magnaflow muffler = $75-100 depending on where you find it
Mandrel U-bends in 2.25 OD + some straight piping from NAPA = about $30-40

Like I said before if you would read my whole post. Do the footwork yourself and buy the parts you would need for your exhaust system then just find a shop that would do the work if you cant and you will still save TONS over those kits you can buy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.