Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife decided last night she wanted to see how quick her '05 Auto was compared to my '04 manual. We were driving to her parents from dinner and ended up with two opportunities for runs up to about 60 mph. (We were within Fresno city limits.)

Now I have only had my '04 a few weeks and it is completely stock. My car has about 13k miles. The wife has had her car since June of '05 and she has about 35k miles. Her car is equipped with the following modifications: Tanabe DF210 springs, 18x7.5 Konigs with 215/35/18 rubber, Fujita F5 short ram intake, brand new NGK copper plugs, MMW header, Magnaflow cat-back, under-seat enclosure with a single 10 and an amp under the drivers seat, and all three B-Cool billet grills. (Just giving you all of the mods so you get an idea of changes to aerodynamics, handling, weight and performance.)

We pulled up side by side at the first red light we hit. I haven't really driven my car hard because I am well aware of the reputation the stock clutch carries. (What I wouldn't give to have a clutch like my old Prelude.) So I was very easy off of the line when we took off (I didn't tack it up at all), but I did bark second running up through the gears. This gave my wife the hole shot, and I was playing catch-up the whole way. When she shut it down at about 60 she had me by about 1/2 a car (my bumper was the back of her front door) but I was gaining.

The second time around I was a little more aggressive on the launch. I am not sure exactly what rpm I launched at, but it was nothing ridiculous. I broke traction for a split second off the line, and barked the tires again on my 1-2 shift. This time the hole shot was mine. I had my wife by about a full car when I shut it down at somewhere between 50 and 60.

Just thought I would share this quick story. I know a lot of people wonder about the difference performance wise between the manual and automatic cars. By these results I would have to guess there is a significant difference between the two. Though my wife had a little extra weight in her car, she also had better tires, more traction, and the most significant bolt on N/A modifications you can make to the xB.

Maybe sometime soon we'll switch cars and try it again. My wife is no slouch when it comes to driving ability, but it would be interesting to see how much of it comes down to driver.

And I already know people are going to start whining about street racing. However, these two quick races took place on a wide road with good visibility and no other traffic. We also shut it down within 10 mph of the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just be careful with your manual transmission. Clutch dumps and hard driving can make short work of the weak clutch. And while an aftermarket clutch is reasonably priced, the labor never is. :)

And I don't know how much I am going to worry about performance modifications right now. I have far to much to do suspension and aesthetics wise. If I do start making modification for performance, it will likely be big. Forced induction of some sort, or at lease nitrous. For the gains you see with I/H/E I would rather just spend the extra money and see more significant performance gains.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
You should have passed her, I ran a 16.9 stock. Did you turn the traction Control off? you'll gain about 3/10th of a second with traction control off.

Manual Vs. Manual
I/E Vs. I/H/E/P/TBS/ Traction off
Big Kokujin Vs. Padanky

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
rton20s;126528 Though my wife had a little extra weight in her car said:
so are ya in the doghouse yet?? :eek: :D

In racing, automatics win most of the time because the car can shift faster and without missed shifts. Granted the stick has less hp loss but I for one, think the xB is better geared with the Automatic than the Stick and that is coming from a life long 22 year give me manual or give me death kinda guy.

The difference in rpm's on the freeway is astouding!

·
Registered
346 Posts
well i have a 5spd tcm and me and a friend can shift pretty dang quick so you just have to know how to speed shift and not hurt the car.... but me and him did the same thing and i pulled just about everytime but we did from 20 to 60... safety was no problem late at night no one on road racing helmets and seatbelts....

·
Registered
234 Posts
First thing: her wheels slow her car down not to mention extra weight. Intake and exhaust don't add much to overcome the rotational mass that poor engine had to turn. Don't know if she power braked it when she took off or if she turned the OD off as well but I'd go up against a 5 speed with my auto anytime. I test drove a 5 speed and the gearing was horrible in my opinion. Being a woman who has drag raced 5 speed turbo cars and automatic cars, shifting is more fun but auto's are consistent. I loved chirping every gear though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.