Scion xB Forum banner

421 - 440 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You probably have, what, $60-$75 bucks in that thing? And you've got a lot of extra pipe. An oversized plenum in your air path (stock air filter box) and restrictive piping from that plenum to the throttle body. You will be faster, maybe, because your wallet is lighter.

For the money, just buy a DC intake. $100, 50 state legal and much cleaner and less prone to failure/issues than a bunch of cobbled together universal parts.

Amazon.com: DC Sports SRI4401 Short Ram Intake System for Scion xB: Automotive

·
Registered
303 Posts
100 bucks what thats a damn good deal

its not hard these days to get parts, especially for our gen1s. you could have easily gotten a used intake within a few weeks of closely monitoring the classified sections.

hopefully you get a better system in the future. how much did you end up spending on these spectre parts anyway?

---------- Post added 09-23-2014 at 10:19 AM ----------

fujita intake, $30-$35

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/sale-scion-xb-parts-accessories-[fits-gen-1-only]/60738-some-xb1-parts.html

·
Registered
303 Posts
yea, not sure why it hasnt been picked up yet, probably because it gets lost in all the other good stuff up in that thread

·
Registered
245 Posts
He said on 09/15 that it was sold...

·
Registered
303 Posts
well that makes sense lol

but it still serves as a great example of how easy it can be to pick up a good aftermarket intake

·
Registered
18 Posts
100 bucks what thats a damn good deal

its not hard these days to get parts, especially for our gen1s. you could have easily gotten a used intake within a few weeks of closely monitoring the classified sections.

hopefully you get a better system in the future. how much did you end up spending on these spectre parts anyway?

---------- Post added 09-23-2014 at 10:19 AM ----------

fujita intake, $30-$35

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/sale-scion-xb-parts-accessories-[fits-gen-1-only]/60738-some-xb1-parts.html
normally it would cost 100-110 didnt bother to look how much it actually was. but i work at oreilly's auto parts and it was 55. the piping alone the actual intake pipe was 39.99 and each part was 10-8 bucks then the air filter about 40.

---------- Post added 09-28-2014 at 08:01 PM ----------

eventually im gonna get the K&N CAI to make it legal for smog places. unless their are others that is smog legal? are their other parts i can put into the xb 05 that makes it faster other then a turbo and super?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There are tons of tho vs that will make it fatster. Lightweight crank pulley, exhaust, cams high comp pistons individual throttle bodies nitrous etc. All of that is gonna cost a nice penny tho. Toy box racing made a n/a motor and claimed to put out about 400hp but it was a $20k motor

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are tons of tho vs that will make it fatster. Lightweight crank pulley, exhaust, cams high comp pistons individual throttle bodies nitrous etc. All of that is gonna cost a nice penny tho. Toy box racing made a n/a motor and claimed to put out about 400hp but it was a $20k motor
ohh wow 20k yeah i can afford that :crying:

so what would be the cheapest to gain and easy to install for non mechanics like me and as well some hp gained.is their a top 3 cheapest and easy to install parts. i dont want to race i just want to be able to accelerate a bit faster even tho they do just fine. the CAI works wonders but want a bit more hp with out spending allot. i know exhaust is about $300-$600 but does it really give more hp and better acceleration?

·
SO*CAL
1,102 Posts
So this weekend I bought a lightly used trd full cold air intake (60$)
Great deal imo it was painted grey
I didn't install the second piece of the pipe to make it cold air
But the difference ,I feel us night and day!
Glad to have finally bought this piece.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ohh wow 20k yeah i can afford that :crying:

so what would be the cheapest to gain and easy to install for non mechanics like me and as well some hp gained.is their a top 3 cheapest and easy to install parts. i dont want to race i just want to be able to accelerate a bit faster even tho they do just fine. the CAI works wonders but want a bit more hp with out spending allot. i know exhaust is about $300-$600 but does it really give more hp and better acceleration?
Top three, in order...

1. Intake - DC Sports (short ram)
2. Exhaust - Magnaflow (catback)
3. Header - Weapon R

Beyond that, you really need a "power adder." Either forced induction, nitrous or a full N/A build. There have been a few guys who have done Corolla throttle bodies for moderate gains and better throttle response, but they can be finicky.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Lightweight pulleys have proven to be a mixed bag and can take some significant effort to install. They do allow you to move through the power band more a bit more quickly, but don't really provide any more power. I have seen arguments on both sides about whether moving through the power band more quickly is good or bad on the xB.

For our two cars, we aren't bothering with it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Might be. Some have stated that the lightened and/or underdrive pulleys have moved them through the power band too quickly. Hence my comment about "mixed bag."

·
JokerBox
375 Posts
What about drop in performance filter VS actual intake? Anyone have any opinions on it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There is a difference, though it isn't huge. The stock intake is more restrictive than pretty much anything aftermarket. I would still take the stock intake over some aftermaket models though due to MAF fouling.

You can really feel the difference once you have the intake header and cat back exhaust installed.

---------- Post added 10-07-2014 at 03:21 PM ----------

There is a difference, though it isn't huge. The stock intake is more restrictive than pretty much anything aftermarket. I would still take the stock intake over some aftermaket models though due to MAF fouling.

You can really feel the difference once you have the intake header and cat back exhaust installed.

421 - 440 of 480 Posts