Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres the story. Back around December 15 i first went into Karl Malone Toyota Scion in the Salt Lake City area to get my box. Well, they ran my loan through for 0 down at the time, no options on it(i wanna do it myself). Well, since i didnt have enough time at my current job, they couldnt approve me for it, so they said theyll run it through with other ideas to see if it can get approved. Well, i waited for a couple weeks, got fed up, and went to a different dealer, Brent Brown Toyota in Provo Utah, and financed for 2gs down, same shiz on my box, and in two days drove away with my toaster. Well, couple days ago the finance guy at Karl Malone Scion give me a call and sayd they got me approved for 2gs down(ya, already a done deal elsewhere) so i went ahead and listened for a second and when he shut up i told him that i already went to another dealer and owned my toaster. He said ok. Hung up. Not more then five minutes later he calls me back and said i had two choices, to bring in my current box and trade it in for the one they got for me witht he loan they got me approved for, or they were going to sue me for fraud. hahahahahahaha. i said sue me! hahahahahaha. man that was a crazy story, i was so pissed off at him for that threat.... geez, i wanted a toaster but threatening to take me to court aint making me get yours over someone elses....

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
hmmm...... I'm clueless on this one, never dealt with this type of situation when I sold cars. Have you spoken with the F&I guy at the dealership you purchased from? Not sure what he could do for you, but he may be able to shed some light on your options if it goes that far. Alex or Mike, are you out there?

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
all I understood was that Karl Malone has his own dealership, LOL

I bet Alex could help you out fo sho :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
You were smart to call their bullsh*t when you saw it but the sad thing is.... i am sure there are a ton of people who would fall for this kind of crap.... I don't know if you have signed any contracts but if you didn't, nothing you should worry about IMO....

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
If you didn't sign the contract that has the ViN number listed and the agreement w/ how much the payments are etc, they can't do anything to you.

Am I right Mike or Alex?

·
Registered
193 Posts
thats a bunch of BS...as long as you didn't sign a contract you are ok...they can't do anything for just checking your credit...i've worked at a new car dealership and my dad owns a carlot...to sell a car you have to bust your butt and it seems like they are the ones not working hard enough to get your business..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Even if you sign a purchase agreement you don't really owe them any money. Especially if they didn't get you approved at the time.

This is 100% rediculous (okay, so I can't spell, sue ME!:p ).

You're fine, you'll never hear from Karl Malone again, but you can have some fun with this if you like. Here's how:

Doing something like Karl Malone Scion did to you is a HUGE breech of covenant. You are fully justified in ratting them out. Call up the dealership you bought from (I'm assuming they're in reasonably close proximity to Karl's) and tell their Scion Champion (or your salesman if he was cool) what happened. Be sure to include how much the pressure they threw angered you and ask if they could mention it to their Scion regional rep. Tell them you would be happy to talk to the region rep and give over your contact info. This would be a very good step toward screwing Karl Malone Scion.

I honestly believe in the Scion sales philosophy. I think it is a VERY good way to sell cars (or anything really). It treats the customer like a rational person (which they should be) instead of an scheming enemy combatant (which they sometimes are) and I think that is the future of car sales. When something like this happens in the Scion sales process it wrecks everything and needs to be dealt with for the benefit of future buyers.

Drop the dime on them!

-Alex

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Man, sounds like when I was shopping for my TCM. The dealership in Stockton told me that had a stock one on their showroom floor.

I rush over there, it has screens, the bazooka tube, AEM intake, and chrome 18s.

I asked for the sales guy who told me to ask for him. He comes over and I tell him who I am.

He walks me over to the fixed up TCM.

I told him that's not waht I was looking for, and asked about the stock TCM he said he had. He told me that that was the only TCM he had.

So I said a bit loudly so the whole showrronm could hear me, "So you lied to me and I drove all the way out here for nothing!?!" (I am a Drill SGT ya know.)

So then he tries to walk me over to a cubby sales area and tries to smooze me. But it doesn't work because I know how much the xB starts at, and know about the mark up on the wheels etc.

It didn't work and I left.

So I went an hour in the other direction and saw the guy who has always helped my family, good friends, and I. I should have just went to see him in the first place!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called my dealer i got my car from, and they were shocked that they would try that. He said exactly what you all are saying, its bs. I thought about pushing it farther to screw them, bought im too lazy, id rather spend more time driving my toaster! Squirrel you were a DI? What branch? I would have died of laughter to hear you yell at a car salesman hahaha!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Lucky110 said:
I called my dealer i got my car from, and they were shocked that they would try that. He said exactly what you all are saying, its bs. I thought about pushing it farther to screw them, bought im too lazy, id rather spend more time driving my toaster! Squirrel you were a DI? What branch? I would have died of laughter to hear you yell at a car salesman hahaha!
I'm a Senior Drill SGT in the Army Reserve. My second time around actually. I was originally one from 91-95 when I came home from Desert Storm V.1 and became one again after 9.11.

I would have called Scion Corp direct if I had the connections now, back then, and let them know about that dealership and the salesperson.

·
Registered
362 Posts
admin said:
I find it a bit funny the dealership asking him to bring in his brand new xb and trade it for one of theirs on the lot...

That is a pretty unreasonable request...
Not unreasonable at all. It's all about money. You bring your brand new xB that you paid... say $15k... they buy it back from you for $12k as a trade in, and sell you one of their new xB for $15k and resell the older xB as as used car for $16k.... You make money both ways...

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have to say that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. good for you for not falling for it. if they hadn't financed you, then there was no deal, so how can they sue you. its amazing what some people will try. im not a salesman and i dont condemn them all, mine was great (cant the same for the finance lady) but neither were as bad you faced.

you might want to hit other scion sites, SL, SE and so on and so forth and post your experience. make sure as many people hear this, as possible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had mixed experiences going to dealerships. There isn't a scion dealer in my town, but we have a lower sales tax on car sales than the surrounding county's that do. When I went to buy my Xb I called one dealer and asked "If I buy a car in your county and register it in mine, whose sales tax do I pay?" They told me you pay the tax in the county you live in. So I drive up there decide on the Xb they do the deal up I'm getting ready to sign on the line and then I see the total. I ask whose sales tax is that, the salesman says its ours. I remind them of what they said on the phone, he goes and checks and says "we made a mistake on the phone you have to pay our sales tax." So I get up to leave, the salesman was shocked and stammered "You're going to leave because of that". It was simple they lied, I'm not buying, if I had I would have paid an extra $200 I didn't need to.
The next week called another dealer, got told the same thing. Exact same thing happened again. Except this time it was only an extra $50 but it was the principle of the matter.
I had to cross state lines in order to get the tax rate I should be charged. I didn't like the dealership I bought from but they were honest. They just had some crappy policy's, like nonrefundable deposits and a documentation fee.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
And I saw the Scion Rep for the region I live in, and told himmmy story, and guess what? The dealership I had the bad experience at, has a track record for doing things like that to others as well!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I guess this is a little bit of a hijack but since everyone else is....

I bought my box in November and just last week had the last option installed. I have been lied to, cursed at, called a liar, ignored and mostly treated like a moron. Now that all the options have been installed and they will never touch my car again I have started my complaint letter. So far it's up to six pages with dates, names and times of all occurances. After the letter is finished I will be sending it to all parties involved ie: Scion, Power Auto Group, BBB and posting it on the internet. I do voiceover work in addition to being a DJ on the radio so I'll be sending all parties a CD copy of the letter to allow them to hear the angst and anger in my voice.

The one person who helped me at the dealership was Kathy, an older woman who is a supervisor in the service department. She was awesome but still had to fight against the general manager to get anything done.

I bought my Box before I was aware of all the information you can find on this site otherwise I would have purchased the vehicle stripped and done the add on's myself.

Don't let the dealers push you around and keep the BS detector on high at all times! There are awesome salesmen out there, most of them work for Scion!

Rant over...for now.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Threats like those aren't good.

I'd cut the dude's nuts off & stuff them up his ass! ( ^o^)

But yeah. I'd call that dealer back & tell them that you need to speak to a manager about lousy customer service & harassment. They might fire the guy. (^_^ )

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
We were very happy with our salesguy. So much so that he managed to get two sales out of us, and he didn't even have to beg! heh

·
Registered
126 Posts
squirrel said:
I'm a Senior Drill SGT in the Army Reserve. My second time around actually. I was originally one from 91-95 when I came home from Desert Storm V.1 and became one again after 9.11.

I would have called Scion Corp direct if I had the connections now, back then, and let them know about that dealership and the salesperson.
wow you must be really old lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.