Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

If you are familiar with Tein's Basic Coilover set, please let me know what your experience is like regarding the interior noise issue.

I just had Whitej47 come over and install it for me.

From the moment it was installed, I am having this weird ambient "Gn Gn Gn" sound when I am driving.

It sounds like it's coming from rear left. But you know what it's like to locate where the real noise is coming from inside the cockpit position (sound bounces around everywhere...)

*It doesn't matter if I am driving slow or fast
*It kinda sound like when you have flat tires.
*It's not from having stiff suspensions. I tried to loosen the damper knob to the softest setting and I still get it.
*I hear the road through the wheels separately so it can't be from the tires/wheels.​

Any of you had similar issues?

If so, what was the solution to the prob?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
hey man,
I installed with the bump stops in the rear. Maybe it is from having the springs slammed? I didn't notice the noise when I drove it, but it is hard since I didn't have any comparison. If you remove the rear shocks, you can pull the bump stop off and maybe it will fix the issue. I will talk to a couple of people that have had the perches out. May have to change the rubber spring seats to the bottom of the springs too. Easy fix either way

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
They should be pretty quiet.
Is the shock tightened down a lot? I know if they are a little loose they make noise.

·
Mini Trucker
144 Posts
This might sound stupid, but check your tires...? Inside, outside, rotate it and check the tread... Look for any imperfections... I've had a couple tires start to bubble/ tread separates and it gives a slight thumping noise, if it eeeee up front you would feel it in the steering... Just an idea but I'm probably wrong... might be worth checking out... Never know...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the tires. As I said, I hear the tire noise separately from this new clunking noise. It sounds like something is dangling and the rate of clunking sound is consistant no matter how slow/fast I am moving.

I did a google search and it sounds like this is a common issue.

Although multiple things can be cause of this issue, I narrowed it down to few major problems.

*Defective products.
*Certain bolts weren't tightened enough
*Sway bar got loose​

These three tends to be the most common issue. I am going to take the car to the shop and have it looked at since I don't have tools to properly deal with this issue...

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I bet if we did the end links it would quite things up. Would explain the sway bar being "loose" due to the lack of support. Let me take a crack at it man. A shop is going to cost an arm and a leg...but the products def aren't defective, so I just narrowed the list for you some more.

---------- Post added 07-14-2012 at 09:35 PM ----------

*quiet

·
Huh?
780 Posts
I've had the basics before. I think i had a sound too. If its coming from the rear, it might be that rubber or plastic that wraps around the bottom springs is out. The bottom part of the springs if you notice its cramped so meaning its grinning when the car is moving. So best way to get rid of that is to get a rubber or anything to wrap some parts of the bottom springs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what Tein had to say about this issue.

The OEM Bump Rubbers and Dust Covers from the rear are suppose to be removed, and only use the ones that are provided with the TEIN shock absorbers. If possible please provide us with installation pictures to confirm that the installation is correct. If the bump rubbers are removed then it is a possibility that the coilover can get damaged as the piston rod needs a stopping point so that the internal components do not get damaged during the compression and rebound.
I do have to drive around for business meetings tomorrow. Do you think it's safe to go around before resolving this issue?

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
There is nothing wrong with driving it. I have installed a ton of suspension components and never heard of this issue. But the first thing I am going to do is relocate the rubber positions on the back. Also, I am going to pick up some grade 8 washers for the rear as Tein only provides stainless hardware for the rear.

You want me to pick up some poly end links to do on the front while we are at it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe, that would be super nice.

Please do call me in the morning. I might have to be out on meetings from morning to about 1:00 pm.

---------- Post added 07-17-2012 at 12:25 AM ----------

Meetings are not confirmed since my client hasn't confirmed it. I will probably find out around 9:00am Tues morning.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I won't get out until 0600 this AM, so I won't be able to call you too early, but I am thinking of Wednesday if that is good for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts