Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that im super poor and cant have my turbo... Im on a quest for ideas to gain more whp and ofcourse as cheap as possible.. I heard from a freind with a Mazda 3, that on their forums they had a DIY/mod for bypassing the coolant lines that go into the Throttle body.. The idea behind this mod is to remove the 2 lines that go into the TB and connect them together. This will bypass the hot water from going into the TB and heating up the TB and keeping the air in the TB cooler...

My questions are: Has anybody attempted this mod yet.. Would there be any ill effects from it.. Would there really be any gains from it?

The only ill effects I could think of were people who live in frezzing climates.. there TB could possibly freeze shut do to no hot water being passed thru it.. As for gains.. on the Mazda 3 forums, they showed a dyno from a Trans am.. and it gained 6whp with this mod.. So with the size of our engine we may see 1-2 whp gain at most or none at all....Guess only somone doing this and time will tell.. So hit me up with what your thoughts are on this..

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'm a Ex-Protege5.com member myself and remember the thread. I'm sure it would work.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
huh

had mt TB off three times and didnt notice any water lines. also did Mad scionist's TBS install didnt see water lines in TB??????:confused: :confused: :confused: :)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I pretty much just pushed mine aside. But yeah, I don't recall any either now that you mention it Steve.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
thanks good pics

:D didnt see them when i did TBS installs and removes must have missed them. so unhooking them boosts hp by cooler denser charge? i think in cold weather it might not warm-up as fast or run rough, but sounds good:)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'll have to check it out sometime when I get a chance.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Cool, I wish I had more free time.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I know there were gains made from this mod over on the Mazda Forums, why not on a Scion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Padanky said:
I know there were gains made from this mod over on the Mazda Forums, why not on a Scion.
Who knows??? I figure even if you get 1 hp out of it.. you do 10 of those 1 hp mods and you have gained 10hp for hopefully pretty cheap if not free... Damn I hate being poor.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
True that!^^^

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^^To keep the TB from freezing up. If thats snow in your avatar, you might want to leave them.

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah, that's was the most recent snow fall....we got about 7" of snow that night....then when i was finnally able to go back to work it was 19 degrees outside....the thing that sucks is i have to work outside on a forklift at Genie industries

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I work outside most the time, but under a covered awning. Nothing like you have to deal with. It hit 38 the other day, nothing crazy.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
polarproject said:
well....i could do it in the summer months then put them back on during the winter months.....huh?:rolleyes:

Sure, why not.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.